01-22-2020

US

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 5

Hide punch hole in one action

2020-01-21, 23:48 PM
  1. Will someone please add a setting to hide the one actions punch hole, I find it very annoying.
  2. Also wacthing videos on YouTube in fullscreens is impossible because of the amount that is cut out so please fix that.
  3. And I know Im just being picky but is there a way to switch the order of the navigation buttons on this phone? Because I have small hands and prefer the back button on the right.
Options

18202 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2282 Signins

55687 Page Views

• Views: 55687
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Hide punch hole in one action

2020-01-22, 16:23 PM

wrote:
  1. Will someone please add a setting to hide the one actions punch hole, I find it very annoying.
  2. Also wacthing videos on YouTube in fullscreens is impossible because of the amount that is cut out so please fix that.
  3. And I know Im just being picky but is there a way to switch the order of the navigation buttons on this phone? Because I have small hands and prefer the back button on the right.

Hi.

The "punch hole" is the front-facing camera, so there's not really a way to hide that. However, there are wallpapers that work to disguise it by integrating a black circle into the pattern. I searched for it and found a lot.

You can "pinch and spread" on YouTube to fill the screen, though it does crop off the edges. This can't really be helped as the phone display is not the same ratio as a standard video. However, if you search YouTube for "widescreen video" you will see that those fit just right.

While you can't rearrange the buttons, you may want to try one-button navigation instead. (Settings > System > Gestures > Navigation) 

Hope this helps.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

23 Posts

05-18-2017

US

156 Signins

2896 Page Views

• Views: 2896
  • Message 3 of 5

2020-01-23, 4:36 AM

With regard to "a setting to hide the one actions punch hole", I've never owned or even used such a device, but I've read that some phones with a "notch" offer a feature that "hides" it by placing a black bar across the area of the screen where the notch would appear. While this technique slightly reduces the available display area of the screen, it does hide the notch from view.

Doesn't the one action offer such a feature?

Or perhaps there's some third-party app that offers this capability that could be used?

While I'm here, may I please take a moment to express my personal opinion that whichever manufacturer was the first to implement a "notch" (or teardrop, or bullet hole, or punch hole, or whatever else it may be called) was doing the entire industry a great disservice.

I truly HATE the notch, as I know do many others!

But things get worse. Much worse.

I'm old enough to remember the days when televisions (known as "television sets" back then) used very small monochrome (black-and-white) direct-view CRTs (cathode ray tubes) with curved faces and rounded corners to display their content, and the sound (audio) was monaural (monophonic).

After literally decades of costly R&D (research and development), the television industry managed to introduce a series of improvements: color picture, stereo sound (with dbx noise reduction), vertically flat screens (the Sony Trinitron picture tube), screens with 90-degree square (right-angle) corners, and eventually, truly flat screens, both horizontally and vertically.

Virtually every television sold today, anywhere in the world, has a flat screen and squared (right-angled) corners.

Every single one.

And even though I haven't visited a movie theater lately, I feel that I'm probably correct in assuming that the projection screens in movie theaters are relatively flat and have square corners.

I do know that I haven't seen any theaters advertising, "Come see the latest blockbuster movie in our theater because our screen has rounded corners!"

So why do the bulk of today's cell phones have display panels (screens) with rounded corners?

Beats me.

But I HATE those rounded corners on the display panel!

At quick glance, it seems that to get a phone with proper square corners, it's necessary to purchase a very low-end product. Almost every phone priced above about USD $200 has a display panel (screen) with rounded corners.

In my book, that's a GIANT step backward, not a step forward.

End of rant.

Thank you.

Frank.

Options

18202 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2282 Signins

55687 Page Views

• Views: 55687
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-01-23, 14:41 PM

Hi.

The notch and the "punch hole" are often very different. The "punch hole" is an actual camera lens and can't be hidden as there is no screen over the area to display something. The notch is sometimes only visual but often it's mechanical - again, no "screen" there to substitute. In many cases hiding it just means making a big black margin at the top that just fills in the ara around the notch with black.

I'm not a notch fan either.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

23 Posts

05-18-2017

US

156 Signins

2896 Page Views

• Views: 2896
  • Message 5 of 5

2020-01-24, 1:49 AM

Matt, thank you for that clarification. I appreciate the difference.

We'll have to wait until the engineers devise a way to hide the camera behind the glass, which is something that I understand some manufacturers are working on, or in the meantime just buy phones such as the Moto One Hyper, Asus ZenFone 6, Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro, Oppo Reno2, Vivo NEX 3 and V17 Pro, and others that utilize a mechanical method for hiding the selfie camera, usually via a motorized pop-up or swing/pivot methodology of some sort.

If fingerprint readers can be hidden underneath the glass, so can a camera, I've no doubt.

Earlier this month at CES, OnePlus showed a concept phone that incorporates a variable density tint on the back of the device that more or less hides, or at least disguises, the cameras and the flash.

This might be a harbinger of the future. I can see it being used effectively on the front of a phone in a vertically thin (narrow) black band across the top of the front of the phone.

Now please just don't get me started on screen aspect ratios! :)

Regards,

Frank.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete