Options

3 Posts

11-19-2019

CA

6 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 1 of 11

Moto One Action - Software support for updates for North American variants?

2019-11-19, 14:58 PM

As the title suggests I am curious about the details regarding North American support under the Android one program. Very simply, will NA variants receive 3 years of security updates and major updates to Android.

The one action does belong to the one family and you would think it is supported under Android one. But the canadian Motorola product page does not state it, (the vision does). Other regional pages do clearly state the one action is covered under Android one (UK site).

I have contacted support via chat and phone and the answer is 'that there is no official answer', I was then pointed to the forums, so here I am.

Hopefully a Dev or someone can reach out and confirm the support plan. The date of the updates is not pertinent, but I need to know if the phone is supported at all, as  there are many articles and reviews stating it isn't. Costco in canada is also advertising it as 3 years of updates, so could be potential false advertising.

Thanks so much in advance!

Solved! See the solution
Options

18202 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2282 Signins

55687 Page Views

• Views: 55687
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: Moto One Action - Software support for updates for North American variants?

2019-11-22, 15:32 PM

wrote:

As the title suggests I am curious about the details regarding North American support under the Android one program. Very simply, will NA variants receive 3 years of security updates and major updates to Android.

The one action does belong to the one family and you would think it is supported under Android one. But the canadian Motorola product page does not state it, (the vision does). Other regional pages do clearly state the one action is covered under Android one (UK site).

I have contacted support via chat and phone and the answer is 'that there is no official answer', I was then pointed to the forums, so here I am.

Hopefully a Dev or someone can reach out and confirm the support plan. The date of the updates is not pertinent, but I need to know if the phone is supported at all, as  there are many articles and reviews stating it isn't. Costco in canada is also advertising it as 3 years of updates, so could be potential false advertising.

Thanks so much in advance!

Hi.

The motorola one action is not an Android One phone in Canada, so you should not expect the same level of update support.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

3 Posts

11-19-2019

CA

6 Signins

130 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2019-11-22, 18:09 PM

Thanks for the reply, Unfortunately this mean I will have to be returning the phone.

This should be reflected on the Canadian page, which does have the following text in the fine print:

"The phone initially launched on Android 9 Pie, and will receive OS upgrades to Android Q and Android R; security updates will be provided for three years from the initial global launch date of August 2019.position with horizontal playback."

Also merchants in Canada are then falseley advertising this, as shown in my example. This should be passed along to the marketing team.

Options

18202 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2282 Signins

55687 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2019-11-25, 15:01 PM

wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Unfortunately this mean I will have to be returning the phone.

This should be reflected on the Canadian page, which does have the following text in the fine print:

"The phone initially launched on Android 9 Pie, and will receive OS upgrades to Android Q and Android R; security updates will be provided for three years from the initial global launch date of August 2019.position with horizontal playback."

Also merchants in Canada are then falseley advertising this, as shown in my example. This should be passed along to the marketing team.

Thanks for this -- I had not noticed. I will double-check this information and certainly make sure the Web page is corrected if necessary.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

18202 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2282 Signins

55687 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2019-11-25, 15:17 PM

Hi again.

Happy to say that the information on the web page is correct - this was a recent development that we just learned of today. 

You can expect "Android One"-like treatment of this phone in terms of the OS upgrade and security update schedule. 

Thanks for raising this and bringing it to our attention. (Plus there is a weird typo in that footnote you referenced that I will get corrected...)

Regards,

- Matt

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

11-19-2019

CA

6 Signins

130 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2019-11-25, 15:25 PM
Wow! This saved the phone for me. I really appreciate your reply and update!
at the risk of sounding like the many 'when will my update be ready' threads, with Canada now being treated similiar to android one, when should we expect updates for security. The devices are still on the September releases unfortunately. Thanks in advance again
Options

8 Posts

11-26-2019

CA

13 Signins

63 Page Views

• Views: 63
  • Message 7 of 11

2019-11-26, 23:59 PM

Thanks for this good news.

One more info: on Motorola.ca (canada website) on the moto one action section, you can clearly see a photo of the internationnal version with the mention "android one" on the back of the phone. It is misleading since it was one of the main reason i bought this phone...

Options

6 Posts

07-31-2018

CA

195 Signins

509 Page Views

• Views: 509
  • Message 8 of 11

2019-12-22, 17:10 PM

Just bought that phone from Costco.ca, on December 16 and i am happy to see that we will get the same treatment for Android One.

I was mad seeing on the back of my phone that it was stamped Motorolaone insted of Androidone...

When i powered the phone,the November 1 2019 was waiting for me.

Hoping to see Android Q in a neer futur !

Regards

Options

6 Posts

07-31-2018

CA

195 Signins

509 Page Views

• Views: 509
  • Message 9 of 11

2020-01-22, 1:18 AM

Hi,got the December 1 updates this afternoon !

Options

0 Posts

01-21-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 10 of 11

2020-01-22, 7:32 AM

I have the us version and just got December update.  Was stuck on October before update. Hopefully next update will be Android 10. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete