12-11-2015

US

113 Signins

1907 Page Views

• Views: 1907
  • Message 1 of 11

PTP selected and still cannot view photos from my sd card on laptop

2019-12-24, 23:09 PM

With my phone USB connected to my laptop and PTP (transfer) selected I can see my photo folders on my laptop but all the folders are empty. I can put the sd card directly in my laptop (with adapter) and I can see the files and photos just fine. Also when I go to view external storage on my phone same result all my photo folders are there but show as empty. Tried different USB-C cable but no change. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong or missing and why my files and photos are not showing up? I have done this many times with my older phones with no issue. One other thing, when USB connected I can see the photos in the camera folder but the other photo folders are showing as empty but they are not empty. All the photos are backed up to Google Photos.

Solved! See the solution
Options

2066 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1801 Signins

27628 Page Views

• Views: 27628
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: PTP selected and still cannot view photos from my sd card on laptop

2019-12-25, 9:33 AM

wrote:

With my phone USB connected to my laptop and PTP (transfer) selected I can see my photo folders on my laptop but all the folders are empty. I can put the sd card directly in my laptop (with adapter) and I can see the files and photos just fine. Also when I go to view external storage on my phone same result all my photo folders are there but show as empty. Tried different USB-C cable but no change. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong or missing and why my files and photos are not showing up? I have done this many times with my older phones with no issue. One other thing, when USB connected I can see the photos in the camera folder but the other photo folders are showing as empty but they are not empty. All the photos are backed up to Google Photos.

Install these official Motorola USB drivers,

https://support.motorola.com/us/en/drivers

Then choose this option on the phone,

HTH :)

Options

61 Posts

12-11-2015

US

113 Signins

1907 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2019-12-25, 15:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. I already had the drivers on my laptop but went to the support site and downloaded again and chose the "repair drivers " option. Still have the same problem. I had already tried the PTP and File Transfer options but neither worked.  Strange that I can see all my photo folders but they show as empty. I can see the most current photos in the phones camera folder. The ones that I have not moved to other photo folders show up just fine. I put the sd card in my laptop and all the folders and photos are there. Put the card back in the phone and the folders show empty except the "camera" folder.

Options

2066 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1801 Signins

27628 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2019-12-25, 16:09 PM

wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I already had the drivers on my laptop but went to the support site and downloaded again and chose the "repair drivers " option. Still have the same problem. I had already tried the PTP and File Transfer options but neither worked.  Strange that I can see all my photo folders but they show as empty. I can see the most current photos in the phones camera folder. The ones that I have not moved to other photo folders show up just fine. I put the sd card in my laptop and all the folders and photos are there. Put the card back in the phone and the folders show empty except the "camera" folder.

It could be a problem with the file app. This is one of the ones I use/Prefer,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cxinventor.file.explorer&hl=en_GB

Or,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander&hl=en_GB

Options

61 Posts

12-11-2015

US

113 Signins

1907 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2019-12-25, 17:58 PM

Tried both recommended file managers. Still no luck. I think it has something to do with the fact that all my photos are in Google Photos and I can view them there but nowhere else. I can't find any setting there that would prevent me from using file transfer though. I wonder if reformatting the sd card would help. Just hate to have to backup and redo everything and it doesn't make sense that I can see all the folders but not the photos. 

Options

2066 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1801 Signins

27628 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2019-12-25, 18:49 PM

wrote:

Tried both recommended file managers. Still no luck. I think it has something to do with the fact that all my photos are in Google Photos and I can view them there but nowhere else. I can't find any setting there that would prevent me from using file transfer though. I wonder if reformatting the sd card would help. Just hate to have to backup and redo everything and it doesn't make sense that I can see all the folders but not the photos. 

This is bugging me as much as you :/

Is the SD card the newer SDXC type?

You can log into Google photos and download them to your laptop,

https://photos.google.com

tick all the photos you want and then Top-Left>3 dots>Download  or Ctrl+D on the Laptop Keyboard.

Options

61 Posts

12-11-2015

US

113 Signins

1907 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2019-12-25, 19:21 PM

The sd card just says Samsung Evo class 10. I tried the sd card from my old G5S+ in my new moto one action and what do you know everything worked perfect . I can see all folders and photos. Put the suspect card in old phone and same issue as new phone. I can see all folders but no photos. All I can think of is that I didn't format the new card when I installed it. I thought it was automatic since I got a message that said sd card ready. The strange thing is that I can put the suspect sd card in an adapter, put it in the laptop and everything is there folders and photos. Bugging the hell out of me. Not a big issue since I have access to everything in google photos as well as on my phone. Just bugs me that the file transfer protocol doesn' work. I hate it when I can't fix something but I am not giving up. Thanks again for your interest. Let me know if you have a brainstorm.

Options

2066 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1801 Signins

27628 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2019-12-25, 19:33 PM

wrote:

The sd card just says Samsung Evo class 10. I tried the sd card from my old G5S+ in my new moto one action and what do you know everything worked perfect . I can see all folders and photos. Put the suspect card in old phone and same issue as new phone. I can see all folders but no photos. All I can think of is that I didn't format the new card when I installed it. I thought it was automatic since I got a message that said sd card ready. The strange thing is that I can put the suspect sd card in an adapter, put it in the laptop and everything is there folders and photos. Bugging the hell out of me. Not a big issue since I have access to everything in google photos as well as on my phone. Just bugs me that the file transfer protocol doesn' work. I hate it when I can't fix something but I am not giving up. Thanks again for your interest. Let me know if you have a brainstorm.

SD cards can become corrupted and I never trust them even when new. I use a free partitioning/formatting software called Minitool Partition Wizard. As you know your stuff be careful using this software it's powerful enough to wipe your Laptop's hard drives if you are working on the Wrong drive/Partition so make sure you are on the SD card drive.

Delete partititon and re-create as FAT 32 or even NTFS if you need files over 3Gb/4Gb but for now stick to FAT32.

Options

19383 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2394 Signins

59483 Page Views

• Views: 59483
  • Message 9 of 11

2019-12-27, 15:15 PM

wrote:

wrote:

SD cards can become corrupted and I never trust them even when new. I use a free partitioning/formatting software called Minitool Partition Wizard. As you know your stuff be careful using this software it's powerful enough to wipe your Laptop's hard drives if you are working on the Wrong drive/Partition so make sure you are on the SD card drive.

Delete partititon and re-create as FAT 32 or even NTFS if you need files over 3Gb/4Gb but for now stick to FAT32.

Coming in a little late.

This doesn't sound like an SD card issue to me, since if you put the card in the PC, you say that all the photos are showing up properly, right? You just can't see them on the phone when connected via USB cable.

I'm wondering if you have actually navigated to the correct folders on the phone when you are trying to look at photos. Are you looking in Pictures, or in DCIM > Camera? It's not intuitive that they are in DCIM, not Pictures.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

61 Posts

12-11-2015

US

113 Signins

1907 Page Views

• Message 10 of 11

2019-12-27, 15:35 PM

I've looked in both places DCIM and Pictures. DCIM shows the Camera folder created by google photos which has my most recent photos that have not been moved to other folders. Pictures shows all my folders but are all empty. I believe  it has something to do with the latest changes made by Google Photos. I just can"t figure it out. Trying to understand Google is like learning Chinese Arithmetic. As mentioned all photos and folders are there when I put sd card in an adapter and put it in my laptop.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete