Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola one Phonesmotorola one action
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

09-30-2019

Spain

29 Signins

162 Page Views

• Views: 162
  • Message 1 of 9

Very low screen brightness

2019-09-30, 14:28 PM

Hello, I have recently bought the Motorola One Action at Amazon Spain and I really love the phone except that I find the screen brightness to be very low and dark. When comparing it to other phones it only becomes more obvious that the brightness is super-low. The phone only has an acceptable brightness at 100% and I don't think that's normal. I read on various websites that the brightness of the phone with full white screen and with Max brightness should be 459 cd/m² and while testing it with the light meter I'm getting 360 cd/m² at maximum... Is it possible that I got a defective unit? Could it be a software issue?

Options

20124 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2591 Signins

65258 Page Views

• Views: 65258
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Very low screen brightness

2019-10-02, 15:28 PM

wrote:

Hello, I have recently bought the Motorola One Action at Amazon Spain and I really love the phone except that I find the screen brightness to be very low and dark. When comparing it to other phones it only becomes more obvious that the brightness is super-low. The phone only has an acceptable brightness at 100% and I don't think that's normal. I read on various websites that the brightness of the phone with full white screen and with Max brightness should be 459 cd/m² and while testing it with the light meter I'm getting 360 cd/m² at maximum... Is it possible that I got a defective unit? Could it be a software issue?

Hi.

This is unusual. Mine, when turned up, is extremely bright. Anything over about 75% is a bit too much. The way the system should work is that if you keep Adaptive Brightness on but keep pushing the slider up, it will learn that you like it brighter. That way you get the best of both worlds -- a bright screen and the advantages in battery life of Adaptive Brightness.

The one thing I would check is if you have Night Light on. (Settings > Display > Night Light) That will dim, soften and "yellow" the light to make sleep easier.

Let me know.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

6 Posts

09-30-2019

Spain

29 Signins

162 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2019-10-02, 16:17 PM

Thanks for your answer, actually I do not have neither the Adaptive brightness nor the Night Light enabled. I called the Amazon Spain technical assistance number and they said the problem might be due to Android 9 being less bright than previous versions of Android. Even though I think my Motorola One Action only has a decent brightness at 90-100%... That is why I think it could be a hardware issue of my screen. How likely is that? If true, I'm thinking on a big scale spanish or european factory production problem...

Options

20124 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2591 Signins

65258 Page Views

• Views: 65258
  • Message 4 of 9

2019-10-03, 13:27 PM

wrote:

Thanks for your answer, actually I do not have neither the Adaptive brightness nor the Night Light enabled. I called the Amazon Spain technical assistance number and they said the problem might be due to Android 9 being less bright than previous versions of Android. Even though I think my Motorola One Action only has a decent brightness at 90-100%... That is why I think it could be a hardware issue of my screen. How likely is that? If true, I'm thinking on a big scale spanish or european factory production problem...

Hi.

While there is a certain amount of allowable variance in screen brightness (while still remaining within specifications) it seems unlikely. Is there any chance you can visit a store where the phone is sold and compare it there?

I will ask about this since you were able to give a light meter reading.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

6 Posts

09-30-2019

Spain

29 Signins

162 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2019-10-04, 14:48 PM

I will go to the tech store to try and compare it with the units exposed there. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure this is due to a software problem that could be solved with a software update. Please tell the developer team about this since it's quite annoying having to keep the phone always at 90-100% of brightness for the screen to be bright enough... Thank you again for all the help you're providing.

Options

0 Posts

02-01-2020

United States of America

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 6 of 9

2020-02-01, 20:35 PM

Any news on this?

Just bought a piece today and I have the same issue.

Options

47 Posts

04-06-2015

Estonia

54 Signins

344 Page Views

• Views: 344
  • Message 7 of 9

2020-02-02, 9:32 AM

I had similar problem at the beginning - also bought from Amazon Spain.

Enable Auto Brightness and leave it on for some days. If you prefer Auto Brightness then just leave it on.

If you prefer manual control then go to somewhere bright and turn off the Auto Brightness. In my case, all is fine now.

The official explanation is that they have updated the brightness algorithms (0% and 100% is the same - but everything in between them is different). 

So once again, my experience was that the brightness is off - but somewhow it has solved by itself and in my opinion this is because of what I did (see above).

Other things - the battery takes time to get normal. A week at least. 

I think the Doze is too passively set up in this device. Meaning that power save is not so great. I you use the phone a lot during a day then this is not a problem - screen on time is good then. If you are more like passive user then disable Moto Display and Moto Actions enhancements.

Options

302 Posts

10-13-2019

Romania

583 Signins

5706 Page Views

• Views: 5706
  • Message 8 of 9

2020-02-02, 10:07 AM

It's weird...cause I hear a lot of people complaining of battery life with this phone. What is weird is that with minimal use I can get 3 days of battery life. With regular use, 2 days. And with heavy use, 1 day. So..I don't know, but I have absolutely no complaints regarding battery life with this phone. And I've got both Moto Display and Moto Actions enabled at all time. Weird...

Also, I usually keep any sort of automatic brightness adjustment off. Cause I feel like, most of the times (or at least that's been my experience with this feature over the years with other phones) it does exactly the opposite of what I would want it to do. Meaning it increases brightness at night, when I clearly don't need it, and it's annoying to my eyes, and it decreases it in bright daylight (probably thinking there's enough ambient light) when I need it the most, to counteract the sun's brightness so I can see what's on the screen.

Anyway, I didn't buy the phone from Amazon Spain, I see no reason why this would be specific to phones bought from there, but I personally have no problem with this phone's brightness. I also keep mine set to 50% at all times, and only increase manually if I need more.

I'm just a human being human.
Options

47 Posts

04-06-2015

Estonia

54 Signins

344 Page Views

• Views: 344
  • Message 9 of 9

2020-02-02, 19:24 PM

Well, battery took a week to get normal - and in my case the normal is 16...20% discharge a day with some messenger, phonecalls, sms and a little web surfing. 

With this battery and this use, this device should be able to get battery of 12...15% per day but it is not a goal per se.

During first week the battery usage is higher because you fiddle your phone more. And of course, the phone builts app cache etc.

But the brightness, I swear, it was bad during the first 2 days but then it got normal and that's it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms