cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dave1234
Blue Screen Again
Views: 157
Message 1 of 6

What clutter can one permanently remove from this Motorola One Action mobile?

Basically I want to use Firefox (not Chrome), WhatsApp, VLC to play music, local transport Apps to notify me about times and problems with trains and buses and a few other Apps - the rest I would happily lose.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 114
Message 2 of 6

Re: What clutter can one permanently remove from this Motorola One Action mobile?

@Dave1234 wrote:

Basically I want to use Firefox (not Chrome), WhatsApp, VLC to play music, local transport Apps to notify me about times and problems with trains and buses and a few other Apps - the rest I would happily lose.

Without going into every detail, pre-installed Google apps can generally not be uninstalled. 

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Dave1234
Blue Screen Again
Views: 101
Message 3 of 6

Re: What clutter can one permanently remove from this Motorola One Action mobile?

@MattForumsMngr wrote:

Without going into every detail, pre-installed Google apps can generally not be uninstalled. 

- Matt

Yes, I pretty much expected that Smiley Sad

Can the various Apps on the 'phone (including those put there by Google) be "disabled" or "halted" so that they don't consume resources? If so, how would I go about that?

I really just want a pretty basic Smartphone that I can use to make and receive calls, send and receive texts, use WhatsApp, take photographs with when I am out and about, use as an MP3 player -and- just occasionally to browse t'Interweb.

As to Chrome, etc., I just happen to prefer FireFox.

As an aside, I don't want to make all my photos, contact details, etc. freely available to Google, Facebook and the likes of Cambridge Analytica - is there any way I can put a stop to that?

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 94
Message 4 of 6

@Dave1234 wrote:

@MattForumsMngr wrote:

- Matt

Yes, I pretty much expected that Smiley Sad

Can the various Apps on the 'phone (including those put there by Google) be "disabled" or "halted" so that they don't consume resources? If so, how would I go about that?

I really just want a pretty basic Smartphone that I can use to make and receive calls, send and receive texts, use WhatsApp, take photographs with when I am out and about, use as an MP3 player -and- just occasionally to browse t'Interweb.

As to Chrome, etc., I just happen to prefer FireFox.

As an aside, I don't want to make all my photos, contact details, etc. freely available to Google, Facebook and the likes of Cambridge Analytica - is there any way I can put a stop to that?

Hi.

So, several questions here. I'll do my best to say what I know, what I don't know and what I think.

The underlying Android operating system works best when left to its own devices. I wouldn't start disabling or killing processes - it generally causes more problems than it solves. The consumption of resources is limited and accounted for in the phone's construction. They will not slow the phone in a way you will notice, and halting them won't speed it up. You can't delete them to recover the storage memory.

However, I don't think there are any "intrusive" features you can't opt-out of or chose not to use. You can choose not to sync your photos with Google Photos or Facebook. (But please understand that using no back-up means you lose them if your phone is seriously broken or damaged. There are pure storage apps, like DropBox, that may suit you.) You can use FireFox instead of Chrome. You can keep your contacts on your phone and there may be 3rd-party apps for contacts that sync to a "cloud" that you don't find objectionable. I'm not sure; it's not something I've looked into.

It's the ease of Google tools that you will miss. Setting up a new phone or re-setting up yours if needed, will be a chore. However, I fully understand that it is a price that many are willing to pay to avoid these types of unwanted sharing.

Hope this helps.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Highlighted
Dave1234
Blue Screen Again
Views: 87
Message 5 of 6

It "sort of" helps Smiley Wink

I take your point about Google (who develop Android) making it easy to use.  However, that apparent ease is often at the expense of making it hard not to use the supplied Apps.

I have started a thread asking how I can access folders on my phone when it is plugged into a PC, that would address the issue of saving photos.  Why in the name of all that is holy should that be so unintuitive to someone who is familiar with Windows - as millions of people are?

As a matter of interest, how do I:

• "opt-out" of any "intrusive" features that I choose not to use?
  • choose not to sync my photos with Google Photos?
  • declutter my desktop so that I can more easily access what I want to use rather than Google what wants me to use?

I'm not really being "picky", I just want a tidy and easy life.

Anyhow, many thanks for the thankless task of trying to educate me.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 71
Message 6 of 6

@Dave1234 wrote:

It "sort of" helps Smiley Wink

I take your point about Google (who develop Android) making it easy to use.  However, that apparent ease is often at the expense of making it hard not to use the supplied Apps.

I have started a thread asking how I can access folders on my phone when it is plugged into a PC, that would address the issue of saving photos.  Why in the name of all that is holy should that be so unintuitive to someone who is familiar with Windows - as millions of people are?

As a matter of interest, how do I:

• declutter my desktop so that I can more easily access what I want to use rather than Google what wants me to use?

I'm not really being "picky", I just want a tidy and easy life.

Anyhow, many thanks for the thankless task of trying to educate me.

You seem pretty educated to me.

Let me try on some of these.

How do I:

• I would probably need specifics on which features you don't want to help here.

• Open Photos > Open "hamburger menu: (three stacked lines, on the left) > Settings > Back up & sync > Toggle off

• Press and hold any icon on the home page, and move it slightly. The entire frame will shrink a bit and at the top you will either see two options -- Remove and Uninstall -- or just Remove. Remove will take the icon off of your desktop but the app will remain in your app drawer. Uninstall means what it says and the app will be gone from your system. If only Remove is shown, it means it can't be uninstalled, which will be true for most pre-installed Google apps, Moto apps and perhaps carrier apps.

Just keeping pressing that icon and slide it up and release it over either of the two options to Remove or Uninstall.

Note that you can also "slide" icons to the right onto a second (or third or fourth) screen if you want to have limited icons on your home screen but next-level icons easily accessed on the next screens. I do that.

Hope this helps!

- Matt

Top Kudoed Authors