Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola one Phonesmotorola one hyper
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

05-02-2021

Canada

13 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 1 of 12

Bluetooth audio issues since Android 11 upgrade.

2021-05-02, 15:52 PM

Phone Details:

Motorola One Hyper

Android 11 (Build: RPF31.Q1-21-20, Canada)

Bluetooth audio device:

Sony WH 910N (aka Hear On. 3)

Issue:

I received an Android 11 upgrade a couple of weeks ago, and ever since the upgrade, the Bluetooth audio has become troublesome. In particular, when playing any music, the volume appears to be 'modulated' - i.e., the volume is inconsistent and will suppress parts of the music while putting emphasis on other parts. It's almost as if there is an equalizer running in the background that is messing up the loudness of the music. Now the interesting part is that there is no equalizer of any sort (including Moto Audio) enabled for the Bluetooth device.

To remove any other variables, I copied over several pieces of music on to my other phone, which is a Pixel 3a XL running Android 11, and the music sounds exactly as I would expect without any distortion. Moreover, my headphones have a 3.5mm jack to work in wired mode, and using this mode on both devices results in no such issues with the audio. From this, I can only conclude that there is an issue with the Bluetooth on the Motorola One Hyper device. I am fairly certain that it wasn't present in the Android 10 builds as well, so I can presume that the Android 11 upgrade is the culprit here.

Things I have tried:

• Disable/enable Moto Audio
  • Uninstall/Reinstall different music players
  • Ensure that LDAC is being used for my headset (which is the Sony supported codec).
  • Factory Reset with Cloud Backup
  • Factory Reset without restoring any backup (i.e. started with pristine clean slate and tried again).

None of the above solved the issue - it still persists and is quite detrimental to the music listening experience. I am almost certain this is a software issue, I am not sure if this is the correct place to report this, but I can't appear to find any other point of contact with regards to bugs on the Motorola website.

Options

3876 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

742 Signins

57885 Page Views

• Views: 57885
  • Message 2 of 12

Re:Bluetooth audio issues since Android 11 upgrade.

2021-05-02, 19:11 PM

Hi STPR,

I definitely would like to help you with this. We would like to know if you also tested this on other Bluetooth headphones? Since you have already done most of the troubleshooting steps, please send us a bug report with Bluetooth snoop logs so we can investigate this further. The steps will be provided below. Let me know if you have some questions or clarifications. 

Generating Bug Report with Bluetooth Snoop Log Steps:
1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
2. After the above steps Developer options will be enabled.
3. Go to Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
4. Enable Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Enable Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Enable Enable Bluetooth HCI snoop log > Toggle On
6. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
7. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
8. Then upload the Bug Report to your personal Google Drive
9. Open the File Manager app on your phone and tap on Local on the top right. Browse to internal.
10. Share the link to the Bug Report via a private message.
11. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.
12. One completed to Settings-> Developer options -> Enable Bluetooth HCI snoop log > Toggle Off

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

6 Posts

05-02-2021

Canada

13 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 3 of 12

2021-05-02, 21:15 PM

Yes, another Sony headset was tested as well (Sony WH900N - a different model and device from the previous one), and it suffers from the same issues.

I have captured a bug report on a factory reset device, and will be sending them to you shortly. Please note that the only other misbehaviour I have observed since the update is that there are quite a few of 'dropped packet effects', in other words, the audio momentarily glitches out and after a very brief period, everything returns to normal (note that this is specifically regarding Bluetooth audio). While it is not happening predictably or in an extreme fashion, no such issues were ever encountered prior to the Android 11 update. Other than this, there are no other indications of any kind.

Options

789 Posts

11-24-2020

India

117 Signins

10890 Page Views

• Views: 10890
  • Message 4 of 12

2021-05-03, 7:40 AM

@ STPR wrote:

Yes, another Sony headset was tested as well (Sony WH900N - a different model and device from the previous one), and it suffers from the same issues.

I have captured a bug report on a factory reset device, and will be sending them to you shortly. Please note that the only other misbehaviour I have observed since the update is that there are quite a few of ' packet effects', in other words, the audio momentarily glitches out and after a very brief period, everything returns to normal (note that this is specifically regarding Bluetooth audio). While it is not happening predictably or in an extreme fashion, no such issues were ever encountered prior to the Android 11 update. Other than this, there are no other indications of any kind.

Hi, 

Thank you for testing with other Headsets and for additional information. Please PM the bug report, so we can check and investigate this further. I look forward to your response.

Thanks

Sunitha

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

6 Posts

05-02-2021

Canada

13 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 5 of 12

2021-05-03, 13:15 PM

@AgentSunitha I PMed the report to @Agent_Zeke earlier, is that sufficient, or should I send it to you as well?

Options

789 Posts

11-24-2020

India

117 Signins

10890 Page Views

• Message 6 of 12

2021-05-04, 6:57 AM

Hi STPR,

Thank you for sharing the bug report. Let me check that and get back to you. 

Thanks

Sunitha

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!

Options

789 Posts

11-24-2020

India

117 Signins

10890 Page Views

• Message 7 of 12

2021-05-05, 8:09 AM

Hi STPR

I have received the bug report. I will share this with the concerned team to look at it. Once I have any update on this, will get back to you. 

Thanks

Sunitha

Options

6 Posts

05-02-2021

Canada

13 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2021-05-06, 0:12 AM

Thank you @AgentSunitha . Hopefully it will be resolved soon. Looking forward for updates.

Options

789 Posts

11-24-2020

India

117 Signins

10890 Page Views

• Message 9 of 12

2021-05-06, 6:38 AM

@ STPR wrote:

Thank you @AgentSunitha . Hopefully it will be resolved soon. Looking forward for updates.

Hi, 

I have checked and I would need some more details to help you better. Could you please let us know what apps you are using to play music? Also, what format those files(Music or audio files) are in? It will be easier for us to test it further.

Thanks

Sunitha

Options

6 Posts

05-02-2021

Canada

13 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 10 of 12

2021-05-07, 0:41 AM

@AgentSunitha The files are opus format files. The app I use for local files is 'Vanilla Music Player'. I also use YouTube Music and Bandcamp to stream music. I can also add that playing the same music on YouTube Music via streaming it, and locally via the Vanilla app results in the same issue.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms