Options

2 Posts

07-19-2020

US

3 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 6

Motorola One hyper can't find my smart tv using wifi.

2020-07-19, 16:40 PM
My motorola one hyper does not connect to my smart tv with MIRASHARE. My phone does not detect my tv. I cannot share my screen wirelessly using the WIFI DIRECT option. The WIFI DIRECT option appears to be off/disabled on this phone model. With other phone brands and models I did not have this problem
Options

40 Posts

05-18-2017

US

215 Signins

4666 Page Views

• Views: 4666
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Motorola One hyper can't find my smart tv using wifi.

2020-07-20, 5:27 AM

From my One Hyper, I have no problem mirroring the phone's screen (any screen, including the home screen) and casting (from apps that support casting) to my friend's smart TV, and with almost imperceptible time delay (lag), but my friend's smart TV runs the Google Android TV operating system, so the fact that it works is to be expected since it's sort of Android talking to Android.

This is done just by using the Screen Cast icon in the pull-down Quick Settings menu at the top of the phone's screen. Also, I can use the Google Home app to control the TV's sound volume, and this works even when one of the HDMI inputs is selected, such as the one that connects to the cable converter box. I can also turn on (power up) the TV from the phone, but I haven't found a way to power it off.

However, I have to say that the above is only true as long as the television is connected to the Wi-Fi network and the Ethernet network has been disabled by pulling the cord from the back of the television. As soon as the Ethernet cable is plugged back in to the television, the phone and the television lose the ability to talk to each other.

Whether this is by design -- when both are present, perhaps Android always gives preference or priority to a wireless network over a wired network -- I really don't know.

On the other hand, the problem may also relate to the fact that I've given identical network names (SSIDs) to the wired network, the 2.4 GHz wireless network, and the 5 GHz wireless network. If and when I have the time one of these days, I may rename each of these three networks to have unique names and see what happens, just as an experiment.

With respect to Miracast, Wireless Display, and DLNA, I believe that none of these are supported on the One Hyper.

My previous phone, a Moto G5 Plus, had Wi-Fi Direct enabled, but on my One Hyper, Wi-Fi Direct is grayed out in Settings and as far as I know, it shouldn't be. I hadn't complained about it in this forum because it wasn't crucial to my needs at this time and I just assumed that by the time I needed it, Motorola would have released an update to address the issue.

Now that the phone has been released for so many months, I'm inclined to think that no "fix" is forthcoming. Perhaps a Moto rep can advise us on this issue.

Frank.

Options

58 Posts

08-30-2019

HU

181 Signins

1111 Page Views

• Views: 1111
  • Message 3 of 6

2020-07-20, 17:43 PM

It doesn't work for me as well using a Sony Bravia TV with Miracast feature. Phone can be paired with the TV through Wifi Direct but the phone hangs on searching for device after initiating Screen Casting.

Options

40 Posts

05-18-2017

US

215 Signins

4666 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2020-07-21, 4:31 AM

MotoHun, at least you've got Wi-Fi Direct working. Wi-Fi Direct is grayed-out for me and apparently Rody23 as well.

As shown in the first screenshot below, Wi-Fi Direct is unavailable on my One Hyper.

In contrast, the second screenshot depicts the availability of Wi-Fi Direct on my old Moto G5 Plus (which my One Hyper replaced).

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the information presented, but the following article states that Android support for Miracast existed in KitKat and Lollipop but was dropped in Marshmallow, although I suppose that some manufacturers may have retrofitted Miracast support into their flavor of more recent versions of Android.

How to use Miracast to mirror your device's screen wirelessly on your TV--even 4K

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2907520/how-to-use-miracast-to-mirror-your-devices-screen-wirelessly-on-your-tv.html

I suppose that this leaves Chromecast as the primary remaining option.

To the best of my knowledge, there are three ways to get Chromecast.

a. Keep your existing television, purchase a Chromecast dongle, plug said dongle into an available (unused) HDMI port on the television.

b. Purchase a new television with the "Chromecast built in" feature.

c. Purchase a new television that runs the Android TV operating system (which itself has the "Chromecast built in" functionality built-in to it).

Frank.

Options

40 Posts

05-18-2017

US

215 Signins

4666 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2020-07-23, 3:48 AM

Request to the Moto Support Team: Would it be possible to look into why the Wi-Fi Direct function is disabled (grayed-out) on my One Hyper?

Thanks in advance.

Frank.

Options

40 Posts

05-18-2017

US

215 Signins

4666 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2020-07-30, 0:34 AM

With regard to Wi-Fi Direct being unavailable (grayed-out) on my One Hyper, I followed a suggestion made in another forum (the "Wifi Direct not working(greyed) in moto one fusion plus" thread in the Moto One Fusion+ section of the board) and found that in my case it was necessary to enable Location in Settings in order to get Wi-Fi Direct working.

Having Location enabled wasn't a prerequisite to Wi-Fi Direct functionality on my old Moto G5 Plus phone. Perhaps something changed between Android 8.1.0 and Android 10, I don't know, but it's working now so I'm a happy camper.

Frank.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete