12-14-2019

US

56 Signins

473 Page Views

• Views: 473
  • Message 1 of 10

Screen Protection

2020-07-21, 19:07 PM

Can someone please confirm the screen protection used in this phone? It's unspecified like the Moto One Fusion+, but the Fusion+ was recently confirmed in the forum to have NEG glass.

Does the Hyper have at least NEG glass or does it have something without even a brand name?

Options

19367 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2390 Signins

59373 Page Views

• Views: 59373
  • Message 2 of 10

Re:Screen Protection

2020-07-24, 16:15 PM

@ LENMOTO wrote:

Can someone please confirm the screen protection used in this phone? It's unspecified like the Moto One Fusion+, but the Fusion+ was recently confirmed in the forum to have NEG glass.

Does the Hyper have at least NEG glass or does it have something without even a brand name?

Hi.

It does use a hardened, scratch-resistant glass. 

Hope this helps.

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

47 Posts

12-14-2019

US

56 Signins

473 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2020-07-24, 16:35 PM

Thanks, is it possible to release the glass brand? I am debating between Hyper and Fusion+ and would like to know if they have differences in scratch resistance. I have seen video where Hyper is deeply scratched (without knowing the cause) while Fusion+ looked perfectly fine after being knived for a while.

@ MattForumsMngr wrote:

@ LENMOTO wrote:

Hi.

Hope this helps.

-Matt

Options

40 Posts

05-18-2017

US

215 Signins

4666 Page Views

• Views: 4666
  • Message 4 of 10

2020-07-25, 2:12 AM

LENMOTO, I don't know the make/model of glass used on the One Hyper, but I have a One Hyper that I purchased through the Motorola US website that came with a preinstalled screen protector that had printing on it indicating the location of the phone's various controls, ports, etc.

I replaced that screen protector with the following.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZH67646

I haven't tried scratching it(!), but it really does seem to be a fine screen protector, and it happens to do a good job of resisting fingerprints as well -- a feature that I wasn't even expecting it to have -- and it doesn't seem to reduce touch sensitivity in any way.

I use the following case on the phone.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082CSZD84

Frank.

Options

47 Posts

12-14-2019

US

56 Signins

473 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2020-07-25, 23:49 PM

Thanks for the inputs Frank. Was that a preinstalled screen protector or an adverti**bleep**t sticker?

How do you like the phone? Anything we should pay attention to?

@ FrankNY wrote:

LENMOTO, I don't know the make/model of glass used on the One Hyper, but I have a One Hyper that I purchased through the Motorola US website that came with a preinstalled screen protector that had printing on it indicating the location of the phone's various controls, ports, etc.

I replaced that screen protector with the following.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZH67646

I haven't tried scratching it(!), but it really does seem to be a fine screen protector, and it happens to do a good job of resisting fingerprints as well -- a feature that I wasn't even expecting it to have -- and it doesn't seem to reduce touch sensitivity in any way.

I use the following case on the phone.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082CSZD84

Frank.

Options

47 Posts

12-14-2019

US

56 Signins

473 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2020-07-26, 0:43 AM

Thanks Matt. Can you please confirm what hardened, scratch-resistant glass the Hyper uses? Even if it uses glass that has no brand-name, it'd still be very helpful to confirm that so that one can more easily do a trade-off against the Moto One Fusion+, which this forum has confirm to have NEG Dragontail glass. Thanks.

@ MattForumsMngr wrote:

@ LENMOTO wrote:

Hi.

Hope this helps.

-Matt

Options

40 Posts

05-18-2017

US

215 Signins

4666 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2020-07-27, 3:46 AM

LENMOTO, the screen protector was preinstalled at the factory. It contained not advertising, just directional guides for anyone for whom this was their first smartphone, such as arrows and text indicating the various controls (volume up, volume down, power button) and ports (USB), etc.

The printing was rather heavily applied to the screen protector, so much so that I doubt that few users would keep the supplied protector on the phone permanently. I would think that almost all users of the phone would either remove the preinstalled screen protector and just use the phone without any screen protection or, like me, replace the factory-applied protector with a third-party protector.

My phone also came with a very nice clear case, but I had already ordered a third-party black case, so that's what I use on the phone.

I like the phone, especially the nice unencumbered display panel (screen) with no cutouts or punch holes, etc.

I rarely -- almost never, actually -- use the so-called "pop-up selfie camera". I'm referring to it as "so-called" because it doesn't pop-up at all. In actuality, it slides out, and back in, extremely smoothly. It appears to be a well-engineered mechanism. Having not conducted stress testing, I can't comment on it's durability/longevity and certainly as with all things mechanical in nature, they will fail eventually, but I'm willing to guess that the phone itself will outlast the "pop-up selfie camera".

Wi-Fi Calling didn't work for me at first, but a change in the Wi-Fi access point that I was using resolved that issue. I documented that elsewhere on this forum.

Currently, Wi-Fi Direct is grayed-out (unavailable) and I've asked for tech support help on this issue in another thread on this forum. No response yet.

My One Hyper takes longer to establish a Wi-Fi connection than did the Moto 5G Plus that it replaced, but that's more of an observation than a complaint.

Screen mirroring and casting both work well when used in conjunction with a smart television running Google's Android TV operating system. At least in theory, the phone should work just as well with one of Google's Chromecast dongles or with a television that's equipped with Google's "Chromecast built in" feature, but I haven't tried either of these other two scenarios, so I can't comment on that.

Battery life is good. I use the optional 45 watt charger and the phone charges quickly.

I have no major complaints about the device, but I'm wondering whether it will continue to work after T-Mobile US drops 3G service and goes to a 4G/5G networking environment. Speaking of T-Mobile US and 4G capability, the One Hyper doesn't include Band 71 (600 MHz) that's used by T-Mobile US, but I have not experienced any ill effects as a result of this.

Hope this helps.

Frank.

Options

47 Posts

12-14-2019

US

56 Signins

473 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2020-07-27, 6:44 AM

Hi Frank:

Thank you very much for the detailed review and inputs. I have a very similar use case as you (i.e., I don't use the selfie much).

How is the Moto G 5G? I am also considering that (basically, I am debating between Hyper, Fusion+ and G 5G). Does the G 5G feel a lot smoother than Hyper in day-to-day use or are they similar (i.e. can you tell the Snapdragon 765 being much faster than the 675)? Also, is the 90 hz screen worth having the 2 punch holes vs. the Hyper's full screen? How is the handling (which one is easier to use with one hand)?

Cheers,

Len

Options

40 Posts

05-18-2017

US

215 Signins

4666 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2020-07-28, 3:59 AM

LENMOTO, the Moto 5G Plus that I referenced in an earlier post in this thread is a different (much older, now discontinued) model than the Moto G 5G Plus which was just released this month and which hasn't been announced for the North American market, just in the U.K. and continental Europe, AFAIK.

In general, a faster SoC will result in improved performance.

As to a 90 Hz display panel, having never used a phone with one I really can't comment but would expect smoother scrolling than what a typical 60 Hz screen can provide. I do know that some people state that the higher refresh rate negatively affects battery life -- compared to the usual 60 Hz refresh rate -- and that a 120 or 144 Hz refresh rate will tend to drain the battery even faster.

I've seen photos of the Moto G 5G Plus with it's two punch holes. Let me ask this: given that ONE punch hole drives me nuts, what do you think TWO punch holes do for my emotional state of mind? :)

With regard to one-handed versus two-handed operation, my old and much smaller Moto G 5G Plus was considerably easier to operate with just a single hand, but I'm certainly able to complete some operations on the One Hyper with one hand, although I most often use two hands just to avoid the possibility of dropping the phone, something that I've not done, at least not yet.

Best of luck to you with whatever phone you decide upon.

Frank.

Options

47 Posts

12-14-2019

US

56 Signins

473 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2020-07-28, 6:36 AM

Ahh, I misread your previous email. Thanks for clarifying. I also hate punch holes, so I will probably try the Hyper and if it isn't durable, I will return it and wait for the Fusion+ instead.

I just wish Motorola would make a ~6.4" phone with minimal bezel, no notch, AMOLED 90+hz screen, midrange+ CPU (like 765) and enough battery but not thicker than 9 mm thick. I really don't understand why Motorola doesn't make a phone like that (something like a Motorola version of a Mi9T or Mi9TPro).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete