03-27-2020

US

7 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 21 of 28

Re:Wi-Fi Calling is Stuck Enabling

2020-05-16, 2:46 AM
Frank, I understand your frustration haha! but it just so happens that the latest update fixed it for me on T-Mobile (I'm not on an mvno). Attached images to verify. I'd be patient, it's very possible that they will push a fix for other providers in the future. Super excited HD calling is working as well. VERY happy with this phone now.
Options

23 Posts

05-18-2017

US

151 Signins

2741 Page Views

• Views: 2741
  • Message 22 of 28

2020-05-16, 14:46 PM

@ MattForumsMngr wrote:

@ FrankNY wrote:

Hello Matt, thank you very much for responding.

Checking on the Motorola Software Update, I get the following.

Your software is up to date

Android version: 10

Current version: QPF30.103-47

Security patch level: April 1, 2020

And under About Phone, Software Channel shows as "US Retail".

I should probably mention that I did successfully register for Wi-Fi Calling with my MVNO (Ultra Mobile), which is information that I presume they pass on to my carrier (T-Mobile).

I guess that I'm just jealous that markbratanov claims that he has gotten Wi-Fi Calling to work and I, with multiple decades of hardcore computer experience, can't. :)

But maybe the problem relates to the fact that I'm not a direct T-Mobile customer.

Or maybe it's related to the fact that although my IEEE 802.11 (Wi-Fi) AP (Access Point) supports both IPv4 and IPv6, the old but still functional (which is why I haven't replaced it) wired (Ethernet) router to which it's connected only supports IPv4 (yes, it's that old). If IPv6 capability is a prerequisite for Wi-Fi Calling to work, than that might explain the situation right there.

By the way, and I certainly don't know just how much software updating/enhancement is likely to be made to the One Hyper, but if I could offer an off-topic (for this thread) suggestion, I would love to see an "NFC" item added to the Quick Settings menu such as I see on some competitor's phones. It would provide a quick and easy way to enable/disable the NFC function so as to save a bit of battery life when it's not needed.

Thanks very much and please do be safe!

Regards,

Frank.

Hi Frank.

Thanks for all this detail. Very helpful.

You are on the right software, so I think you are right regarding the MVNO. But I will follow up with the team to see if this is expected.

Regards and good health to you as well!

-Matt

Thanks, Matt, but please do note that as I had mentioned above, I did successfully register for Wi-Fi Calling service with my MVNO, so maybe it's related to my Ethernet router, which is connected to a cable modem, not supporting IPv6.

Take care!

Frank.

P.S. @markbratanov, sure, rub it in! :)

Options

18179 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2278 Signins

55537 Page Views

• Views: 55537
  • Message 23 of 28

2020-05-18, 18:19 PM

@ FrankNY wrote:

Hi Frank.

Thanks for all this detail. Very helpful.

You are on the right software, so I think you are right regarding the MVNO. But I will follow up with the team to see if this is expected.

Regards and good health to you as well!

-Matt

Thanks, Matt, but please do note that as I had mentioned above, I did successfully register for Wi-Fi Calling service with my MVNO, so maybe it's related to my Ethernet router, which is connected to a cable modem, not supporting IPv6.

Take care!

Frank.

P.S. @markbratanov, sure, rub it in! :)

Hi again!

You are exactly right. The team indicated that the router has to spport IPv6 for this to work.

Let me know if you're able to upgrade and get this working.

Regards,

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

23 Posts

05-18-2017

US

151 Signins

2741 Page Views

• Message 24 of 28

2020-05-19, 14:00 PM

Matt, thank you very much for your reply.

I own both the (IPv4-only) Ethernet router and the (IPv4/IPv6-capable) Wi-Fi access point (AP) that I'm currently using, but I happen to have here an ISP-supplied combination router/AP that I could try as an experiment.

I'll put that on my list of things to do and endeavor to conduct a test sometime in the next week or two. At that time, I'll report my results back to this thread.

By the way, although I did register my One Hyper for Wi-Fi Calling use with my MVNO (Ultra Mobile), and even received an SMS (text message) from them informing me that Wi-Fi Calling was enabled on my account, I just went to the carrier's (T-Mobile) website at the URL below and entered my phone's IMEI number.

Bring Your Own Unlocked Phone | IMEI Compatibiliy Check | T-Mobile

https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone

The results, shown below, weren't quite what I expected.

Here are your results:

This phone does not have the key features needed for use on our network.

Device Name Not Available

Your phone doesn't support Extended Range LTE or Voice over LTE technology.

We are not able to tell if this phone is unlocked. Contact the original carrier to find out if your phone's locked or visit a T-Mobile store to discover its status. We can't unlock phones from other networks.

Surely the One Hyper is authorized to operate on the T-Mobile network, isn't it?

I do know that I can receive text messages and place and receive telephone calls, so I really don't understand the T-Mobile "Device Name Not Available" response, which I think means that the phone's IMEI number simply isn't in T-Mobile's database.

Note sure that it matters, but the SIM that I'm using in the new One Hyper was moved from my old Moto G5 Plus.

Thanks again!

Frank.

Options

18179 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2278 Signins

55537 Page Views

• Views: 55537
  • Message 25 of 28

2020-05-20, 14:47 PM

@ FrankNY wrote:

Matt, thank you very much for your reply.

I own both the (IPv4-only) Ethernet router and the (IPv4/IPv6-capable) Wi-Fi access point (AP) that I'm currently using, but I happen to have here an ISP-supplied combination router/AP that I could try as an experiment.

I'll put that on my list of things to do and endeavor to conduct a test sometime in the next week or two. At that time, I'll report my results back to this thread.

By the way, although I did register my One Hyper for Wi-Fi Calling use with my MVNO (Ultra Mobile), and even received an SMS (text message) from them informing me that Wi-Fi Calling was enabled on my account, I just went to the carrier's (T-Mobile) website at the URL below and entered my phone's IMEI number.

Bring Your Own Unlocked Phone | IMEI Compatibiliy Check | T-Mobile

https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone

The results, shown below, weren't quite what I expected.

Here are your results:

This phone does not have the key features needed for use on our network.

Device Name Not Available

Your phone doesn't support Extended Range LTE or Voice over LTE technology.

We are not able to tell if this phone is unlocked. Contact the original carrier to find out if your phone's locked or visit a T-Mobile store to discover its status. We can't unlock phones from other networks.

Surely the One Hyper is authorized to operate on the T-Mobile network, isn't it?

I do know that I can receive text messages and place and receive telephone calls, so I really don't understand the T-Mobile "Device Name Not Available" response, which I think means that the phone's IMEI number simply isn't in T-Mobile's database.

Note sure that it matters, but the SIM that I'm using in the new One Hyper was moved from my old Moto G5 Plus.

Thanks again!

Frank.

Hi.

This is a complex topic, so I'll cut to the chase. :)

The Hyper does not support VoLTE in North America, but it should support WiFi calling on T-Mobile. 

Regards,

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

23 Posts

05-18-2017

US

151 Signins

2741 Page Views

• Message 26 of 28

2020-05-21, 2:46 AM

Thank you, Matt, for the follow up.

I'll try to get that test with the ISP-provided IPv4/IPv6-capable combo router/access point done as soon as possible, but things are more than a bit hectic around here right now due to sheltering-in-place. I need to find a point in time when I can tear down the existing network without negatively impacting anyone else on the network.

If it turns out that my current inability to establish an IPv6-based connection from my One Hyper through my local area network to the Internet is the cause of Wi-Fi Calling not working, and using the ISP-supplied router/AP permits Wi-Fi Calling to work, I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Frank.

Options

23 Posts

05-18-2017

US

151 Signins

2741 Page Views

• Message 27 of 28

2020-05-27, 0:50 AM

Just to follow-up on this...

Earlier today I had the opportunity to replace my old Ethernet router (that doesn't support IPv6) and Wi-Fi access point (which does support IPv6) with a combination router/AP (that supports IPv6) with the following result:

It works!

Yes, Wi-Fi Calling worked (on the T-Mobile network), both inbound and outbound, I even noticed an "HD" indicator on at least one of the calls. And the audio (sound) quality did seem to improve with HD.

My testing was done with a Verizon Wireless customer who was using a Kyocera S2720 Cadence feature phone.

Regards,

Frank.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

23 Posts

05-18-2017

US

151 Signins

2741 Page Views

• Message 28 of 28

2020-06-02, 5:25 AM

If anyone is curious, the old Ethernet router that didn't permit Wi-Fi Calling to work is a D-Link DGL-4100. The DGL-4100 was discontinued by D-Link several years ago and manufacturer support, such as in the form of firmware updates, no longer exists.

The DGL-4100 router has a built-in four-port switch. The router's uplink (WAN) port is 10/100 Mbps but the four switched (LAN) ports are 10/100/1000 Mbps capable. The device is so old that it simply doesn't support IPv6, just IPv4, and apparently IPv6 is necessary for a phone's Wi-Fi Calling feature to function.

The Wi-Fi Access Point (AP), which is connected to the router, is a Netgear WAC104-100NAS, and is still a current product. It supports IEEE 802.11ac, is dual-band 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz, and it's IPv6 capable. It's a low-end product, currently $47.95 on Amazon, but has a built-in four port 10/100/100 Mbps switch and works well.

The Netgear WAC104-100NAS AP replaced an older D-Link IEEE 802.11n AP that "passed away" a few years ago.

For testing purposes, to see if I could get Wi-Fi Calling working, I temporarily replaced the D-Link DGL-4100 and the Netgear WAC104-100NAS with a cable company supplied Sagemcom F@st 5260CV router/switch/access point that's IPv6 capable.

Since I prefer not to use cable company supplied equipment if I can avoid it, someday I'll probably replace the D-Link DGL-4100 Ethernet router/switch and the Netgear WAC104-100NAS Wi-Fi Access Point with one of those consumer-grade all-in-one router/switch/access point products that have 14 antennas, features such as MU-MIMO that I don't need, and a physical design that makes it look as though it came straight off of an alien spacecraft, but for the time being I'll stay with the present configuration. :)

Frank.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete