Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Morseham
Paper Tape
Views: 307
Message 1 of 13

2nd issue - plugging Moto One into PC to copy files or photos

Hello , Its Morseman again with another issue with my new Moto One, which did not occur with my previous phone.... 

I plug my phone into a USB port on a Windows 7 or 10 PC and it enters atomatically chooses charging mode every time. To view folders and files and copy photos from the phone via the PC I have to select the pull down menu, tap for more options which takes me to USB preferences. I then select "Use USB for File transfer". I can then view folders on the PC and copy photos across etc.  

The problem is, as soon as I disconnect from the PC the phone reverts back to charging only. So every time I plug the phone into the PC I have to change the USB preference. Such a pain in the a**e, which I have never had to do with other phones. 

Can this be fixed? 

Thanks again for reading

Morseham 

Porphyrius
802.11n
Views: 258
Message 2 of 13

Re: 2nd issue - plugging Moto One into PC to copy files or photos

It's the same on my Moto G3 and was the same one of my old Samsungs.I never found a fix for it.I think my old Samsung S3 mini was the only one that went straght to file transfers  Smiley Sad

Morseham
Paper Tape
Views: 255
Message 3 of 13

Thanks very much for you reply Porphyrius - it looks like it is a permanent Moto issue, a minor issue admitedly. 

Unless someone else knows different we'll live with it! 

Mark811
802.11n
Views: 252
Message 4 of 13

I've never plugged into a computer before, so do not know if this will work or not :-)

Open settings, at the top is a search bar, type in USB then choose USB prefences and set them as you require = they are all greyed out for me - I'm thinking because I'm not actually connected to a computer 🤔

Morseham
Paper Tape
Views: 242
Message 5 of 13

Yes this does work and its what I have been doing, However every time I unplug from the PC and return again later the USB selection has returned to Charging only and I have to again select the USB Preference, File Transfer. Previous phone retained my preference in its memory.
Mark811
802.11n
Views: 232
Message 6 of 13

Been out to get fed and watered, now back home - I could not resist having a play :-)

But your right, whatever you do - the settings on the phone will not stick, back to charge only when plugged back in. 

I also tried settting Win 10 to choose file transfer when Motorola One inserted, Win 10 does it part by opening a window to view the phones files, but is blank because the phone is on charge only.

Tried phone setting so USB setting is controlled by Win 10 instead of phone, but this ends with error.

Run out of ideas to try now :-(

Morseham
Paper Tape
Views: 228
Message 7 of 13

Thanks for trying stuff out Mark! 

Porphyrius
802.11n
Views: 226
Message 8 of 13

You can put in an Update request.I think it would be a nice option Smiley Happy

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 200
Message 9 of 13

@Porphyrius wrote:

You can put in an Update request.I think it would be a nice option Smiley Happy

Hi.

I'm having the same issue, and we will report it. Specifically, I can't seem to get the option of letting the connected device control the USB connection to work. It always says it can't switch.

But I do have a workaround for this. It's not ideal but it serves the purpose.

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times to enable the developer options mode
2. After the above steps Developer options will be enabled and will show in your Settings menu.
3. Go to Settings > System  > Advanced > Developer options 

4. Scroll down to Default USB configuration and click on that

5. Select the USB option you want as your default.

This worked for me. I changed my USB default to File Transfer. When connected to my Windows 10 PC the PC asked me how I wanted to handle this connection going forward, and I chose the option to open a window so I could browse the phone files. Now when I connect via USB, a window pops open on the PC, showing phone storage. I don't have to touch the phone.

Please be very careful in Dev Mode. You can really mess up your phone changing settings in there. I recommend leaving everything alone in there unless you are asked to provide a bug report.

Thanks for bringing this up.

- Matt 

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Morseham
Paper Tape
Views: 192
Message 10 of 13

Hello Matt

I've just carefully executed the change of USB connection default using the Developer Options as you descirbed and now when I conenct to my Window 7 PC it coudl straight into Explorer on the PC and I can see the file make up on my phone.

Great - clever fellow - not ideal but perfect for me!  The phone also shows that is is charging slowly as one expects with USB being a low current source, as well as allowing me to copy photos etc across in Windows Explorer.

Thank you very much, problems solved!

Phil 

Top Kudoed Authors