Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cauli
Blue Screen Again
Views: 442
Message 1 of 4

Suddenly unable to unlock screen with fingerprint — but hardware is OK

Greetings,

Despite not changing any relevant configuration, I am unable to unlock my phone by using my fingerprints.

Symptoms:

When the screen is locked, I place my finger at the sensor and the phone does not react to that.

No vibration or any feedback, no matter how many tries.

Also, if I unlock the phone (with my pattern) and go to Settings > Security & location > Fingerprint, I am able to register a new fingerprint, as usual.

This implies that the fingerprint sensor is working correctly, but for some software reason, in the locked screen, it is not recognizing any finger.

I have tried:

1. Restarting the phone

2. Turning the phone off and on

3. Disabling lock screen patern and enabling it

My specs:

Model: motorola one

Android version: 8.1.0

OS Version: OPK28.63-18

Security patch level: August 1, 2018

Does anyone have any other ideas for me to try?

Best Regards,

cauli

-----------

Edit: Also, fingerprint has stopped to work in any other app, like why I try to unlock my banking app. It is like if the fingerprint sensor did not exist.  No vibration or any feedback, no matter how many tries.

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 372
Message 2 of 4

Re: Suddenly unable to unlock screen with fingerprint — but hardware is OK

@cauli wrote:

Greetings,

Despite not changing any relevant configuration, I am unable to unlock my phone by using my fingerprints.

Symptoms:

When the screen is locked, I place my finger at the sensor and the phone does not react to that.

No vibration or any feedback, no matter how many tries.

Also, if I unlock the phone (with my pattern) and go to Settings > Security & location > Fingerprint, I am able to register a new fingerprint, as usual.

This implies that the fingerprint sensor is working correctly, but for some software reason, in the locked screen, it is not recognizing any finger.

I have tried:

1. Restarting the phone

2. Turning the phone off and on

3. Disabling lock screen patern and enabling it

My specs:

Model: motorola one

Android version: 8.1.0

OS Version: OPK28.63-18

Security patch level: August 1, 2018

Does anyone have any other ideas for me to try?

Best Regards,

cauli

-----------

Edit: Also, fingerprint has stopped to work in any other app, like why I try to unlock my banking app. It is like if the fingerprint sensor did not exist.  No vibration or any feedback, no matter how many tries.

Hi.

Can you test in Safe Mode to see if this is an app issue? To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up "Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up. I'm wondering if something in the banking app, for example, is having an impact.

Thanks,

- Matt

cauli
Blue Screen Again
Views: 350
Message 3 of 4

Thanks, MattForumsMngr.

Your tip did help me, but this problem is possibly not app-related. Here's my full report:

1. I went into Safe Mode
2. Locked the screen
3. Tried to unlock with all my registered fingerprint — got no feedback still. Unlocked with pattern
4. Went to the `Settings > Security & location > Fingerprint` screen and registered a new fingerprint
6. Locked the screen
7. Now unlocking with my newly registered fingerprint worked. But the old registered fingerprints still did not work

It seems like, for some reason, the old fingerprints were corrupted anyhow, or maybe they were read-locked (possibly by some app, even when in Safe Mode)

I'll delete a banking app that I suspect may be responsible for this (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=br.com.bb.android&hl=en)

Thanks a lot for your help,
cauli

Ankitkatras2
Paper Tape
Views: 143
Message 4 of 4

Even im facing the same issue, but its a bit different. My hardware isn't working working at all. Nor am i able to add any fingerprints, tried resetting the phone as well. Didn't help. The finger sensor isn't sensing anything at all.

Top Kudoed Authors