Options

12 Posts

12-29-2019

IN

18 Signins

159 Page Views

• Views: 159
  • Message 1 of 14

System UI has stopped, Phone locked and completely unusable.

2020-03-31, 7:23 AM

Hey all,

I have been recently facing with an issue with my Motorola One Power.

Device - Motorola One Power

Status - Completely in Stock condition

OS Version - 10(QPTS30.61-18-3)

After I changed a wallpaper on the phone, a popup "System UI has stopped/ keeps stopping" is perpetually occurring on top of my lock-screen which is making me unable to unlock or use the phone.

User is given with two options on the popup error, "App info" and "Stop app", selecting either will give a blank screen and error will popup again repeating the same process.

Situation - USB Debugging is not enabled, USB connection settings set to charging as default.

Troubleshooting and results

1. Normal Mode - Fingerprint accepted, vibration feedback received, PIN mandatory, cannot enter as display goes blank after every touch.

2. Safe Mode - Pop up message on top of the lock-screen, same issues as normal boot.

3. USB OTG-Mouse - Mouse pointer appears on top of the popup error, cannot dismiss, same issue as normal and safe boot.

4. Emergency call mode - Popup appears even on the emergency call!!.

5. Wipe - Cache is unavailable in recovery as I guess you have moved on to the seamless A/B data partition structure.

Problem - I have unsaved important data (not backed up in G-Photos Cloud due to ongoing personal time issues) in Internal memory, complete wipe of the phone is not an option.

The phone is completely unusable as now.

I know complete user-data wipe will be the only easy solution proposed by your team, but there are photos of my recent family gatherings and birthdays of baby cousins which are the only copy present with us as of now.

Please analyze this issue from a humanitarian ground of recovering data from an almost unusable device and guide me on how to get my data back, I know you have protocols to follow on how you guys find solutions, but you guys are my only hope as of the present situation around the globe.

Expecting your assistance and guidance at the earliest,

Thank you

Options

1538 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

274 Signins

16804 Page Views

• Views: 16804
  • Message 2 of 14

Re:System UI has stopped, Phone locked and completely unusable.

2020-03-31, 9:34 AM

Hi Jack731,

Sorry to know about this and thanks for posting! I would suggest you to perform a Soft Reset-- Press and hold the Power button for 10 - 20 seconds, the device will restart and go through the boot-up sequence.

Note: The forced restart or reboot will not delete any data on your phone.  

Try unlocking the phone, if you are able to, perform Clear Cache in your device-- go to Settings > Apps & notifications > App info > select all the apps one by one > Storage > Clear Cache. If it works, kindly take a back up of your contacts and data in advance and let me know how it goes. 

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

1704 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1609 Signins

25153 Page Views

• Views: 25153
  • Message 3 of 14

2020-03-31, 11:11 AM

Just to add check in your Google Photos link to see if the photos have been synced/saved in the Cloud,

https://photos.google.com

Options

17919 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2248 Signins

53907 Page Views

• Views: 53907
  • Message 4 of 14

2020-03-31, 13:40 PM

Just to add check in your Google Photos link to see if the photos have been synced/saved in the Cloud,

Hi.

This is a good point. We also recommend saving all media to an SD card formatted as external storage, for situations like this one.

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

12 Posts

12-29-2019

IN

18 Signins

159 Page Views

• Message 5 of 14

2020-04-01, 15:05 PM

Thank you all for the swift responses 

@Agent_Suman 

Thank you for your solution, 

I have tried your "Soft reset",  but the error is still persistent after booting up.

Please keep in mind, this phone has no "Wipe Cache" in Recovery mode, which means this phones uses the new A/B Android partition.

I think you have missed the point that I am unable to unlock it because, fingerprint gets accepted, but mandatory PIN cannot be entered as the error is on top of the lock-screen.

@Porphyrius 

Thank you for your suggestion,

But there are no photos online, I had used a different Gallery app which has no cloud database, sadly.

@MattForumsMngr 

Thank you for your tip,

Stock Camera app had 'Save location' to Internal Memory as default, hadn't thought about changing this.

But after this "locked-out experience", I will definitely keep this in my mind.

The error is still present in Safe Mode., That should explain the extant on how deep this error has penetrated in.

All this started when I just changed a wallpaper, funny as it sounds, 

No physical damage, no harsh usage, no liquid damage,  just changed a wallpaper, using the Stock Launcher. 

Now I can't even unlock?

I am literally locked out of my phone , my data is intact, I just need to bypass this error.

Requesting any tech support team to analyze this.

Attached a pic with the error

Expecting assistance and aid from you guys

Thanks

Options

17919 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2248 Signins

53907 Page Views

• Message 6 of 14

2020-04-02, 20:43 PM

@ Jack731 wrote:

@Agent_Suman 

I have tried your "Soft reset",  but the error is still persistent after booting up.

Please keep in mind, this phone has no "Wipe Cache" in Recovery mode, which means this phones uses the new A/B Android partition.

I think you have missed the point that I am unable to unlock it because, fingerprint gets accepted, but mandatory PIN cannot be entered as the error is on top of the lock-screen.

@Porphyrius 

But there are no photos online, I had used a different Gallery app which has no cloud database, sadly.

@MattForumsMngr 

Thank you for your tip,

Stock Camera app had 'Save location' to Internal Memory as default, hadn't thought about changing this.

The error is still present in Safe Mode., That should explain the extant on how deep this error has penetrated in.

No physical damage, no harsh usage, no liquid damage,  just changed a wallpaper, using the Stock Launcher. 

Now I can't even unlock?

I am literally locked out of my phone , my data is intact, I just need to bypass this error.

Thanks

Hi.

First - you are taking this well. I know it's really frustrating. Second, we are running out of things to try and getting into really low-percentage stuff.

If you have not, try connecting the phone to your PC via USB. It is more than likely that it will only charge and you won't be able to change that. But the PC may ask you how you want to treat the connection, and you can choose to transfer photos or open files to view what's on the phone. If that works, you're golden.

Basically, if you can't unlock the phone, its security features are going to stop you from accessing anything. 

I can talk to an engineer --again, not much hope there -- but want to ask you to check your IMEI. The one on your profile isn't coming up.

Regards,

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

12 Posts

12-29-2019

IN

18 Signins

159 Page Views

• Message 7 of 14

2020-04-03, 6:11 AM

@ MattForumsMngr wrote:

@ Jack731 wrote:

@Agent_Suman 

@Porphyrius 

@MattForumsMngr 

Thank you for your tip,

Now I can't even unlock?

Thanks

Hi.

First - you are taking this well. I know it's really frustrating. Second, we are running out of things to try and getting into really low-percentage stuff.

If you have not, try connecting the phone to your PC via USB. It is more than likely that it will only charge and you won't be able to change that. But the PC may ask you how you want to treat the connection, and you can choose to transfer photos or open files to view what's on the phone. If that works, you're golden.

Basically, if you can't unlock the phone, its security features are going to stop you from accessing anything. 

I can talk to an engineer --again, not much hope there -- but want to ask you to check your IMEI. The one on your profile isn't coming up.

Regards,

-Matt

Thank you again Mr.Matt 

I have tried that USB to PC several times, but the device just gets charged, no connection sounds or 'Device Manager' notifications, as the device is locked.

I guess you are trying to get the MTP Transfer mode active, but I don't think a locked-out device would allow that. USB Mode is defaulted to charging as I remember.

I don't fully understand on the IMEI "not coming up".

I have added my 2nd IMEI innit.

I understand the security features in effect, but this error wasn't intentionally done , this happened just by a change of wallpaper, and am locked out even after being the owner of the device!

Fingerprint works, I get a Vibration feedback, but I can't enter the PIN.

And even google can sense my device being online, in Google Sign-In screens, When WiFi is ON.

Is there any way to change the wallpaper?

Any way to revert back to stock settings so that this error can be dismissed?

Any way to get my data back?

Hoping for a positive response from the engineers.

Thanks

Options

1538 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

274 Signins

16804 Page Views

• Views: 16804
  • Message 8 of 14

2020-04-03, 9:46 AM

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the details. I would like to know if you are using an SD card on your device. Also, try these steps-- turn off the device > remove the SIM cards > restart the device without the SIM. Kindly try these steps and let us know how it goes. Hope this works.

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

12 Posts

12-29-2019

IN

18 Signins

159 Page Views

• Message 9 of 14

2020-04-03, 14:50 PM

@ Agent_Suman wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the details. I would like to know if you are using an SD card on your device. Also, try these steps-- turn off the device > remove the SIM cards > restart the device without the SIM. Kindly try these steps and let us know how it goes. Hope this works.

Regards,

Suman

Thank you for your response. @Agent_Suman 

If you refer to my screenshot, you can clearly see that my phone has no SIM and SD Card was also removed when the picture was taken. But the problem is still present.

How is this "remove SIM + SD Cards" suggestion even going to affect an issue which exists in Safe Mode?

Please try to understand the current issue am facing.

The phone cannot be unlocked because of a specific app "System UI" whose error 'pop-up' is blocking any touches getting registered on the display.

System UI.apk has encountered an error and it is telling the user to fix it, but that debug pop-up is overlaying on top of EVERYTHING, which has made my phone completely unusable.

Please assist me

Thanks

Options

17919 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2248 Signins

53907 Page Views

• Message 10 of 14

2020-04-06, 15:39 PM

@ Jack731 wrote:

@ Agent_Suman wrote:

Hi,

Regards,

Suman

Thank you for your response. @Agent_Suman 

If you refer to my screenshot, you can clearly see that my phone has no SIM and SD Card was also removed when the picture was taken. But the problem is still present.

How is this "remove SIM + SD Cards" suggestion even going to affect an issue which exists in Safe Mode?

Please try to understand the current issue am facing.

The phone cannot be unlocked because of a specific app "System UI" whose error 'pop-up' is blocking any touches getting registered on the display.

System UI.apk has encountered an error and it is telling the user to fix it, but that debug pop-up is overlaying on top of EVERYTHING, which has made my phone completely unusable.

Please assist me

Thanks

Hi.

We've done our best to assist you. In this case, we simply don't know of any method to get past this issue.

I have seen some 3rd party software that says it can help. I cannot warranty or guarantee it but if you're desperate you may want to search for services or software online. Would be interested to learn if you find a solution.

I wish we could help but we're out of ideas for saving your on-device media.

Regards,

-Matt

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save