Motorola Community

motorola one Phonesmotorola one / motorola one power
All Forum Topics
Options

22 Posts

10-21-2018

IN

44 Signins

691 Page Views

  • Posts: 22
  • Registered: ‎10-21-2018
  • Location: IN
  • Views: 691
  • Message 1 of 117

"Fingerprint sensor is dirty. Please clean and try again" error on one power

2018-10-22, 5:18 AM

I'm using a Motorola One Power purchased barely a week or two ago. The trouble I'm facing is that the phone reports that a fingerprint was not recognized, even when the phone is at rest on say a table. Sometimes the error is that the fingerprint sensor is dirty, but either way, the fingerprint sensor gets activated when it shouldn't be. I realized that this only happens when the proximity sensor actively receives input. I say 'actively' because if I place an obstacle over the proximity sensor, this issue stops. But the moment I remove that object, the problem comes right back. Seems to be some sort of software issue, but given that I haven't seen this issue reported anywhere, I'm not so sure.

 

  • Subject line edited to make it easier to find this thread. - Matt
Solved! See the solution
Reply
Options

17589 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2202 Signins

51882 Page Views

  • Posts: 17589
  • Registered: ‎02-03-2016
  • Location: US
  • Views: 51882
  • Message 2 of 117

Re: [Motorola One Power] Proximity sensor triggers fingerprint scanner

2018-10-22, 14:53 PM

 wrote:

I'm using a Motorola One Power purchased barely a week or two ago. The trouble I'm facing is that the phone reports that a fingerprint was not recognized, even when the phone is at rest on say a table. Sometimes the error is that the fingerprint sensor is dirty, but either way, the fingerprint sensor gets activated when it shouldn't be. I realized that this only happens when the proximity sensor actively receives input. I say 'actively' because if I place an obstacle over the proximity sensor, this issue stops. But the moment I remove that object, the problem comes right back. Seems to be some sort of software issue, but given that I haven't seen this issue reported anywhere, I'm not so sure.


Hi.

 

So you are getting an actual on-screen message, even when the phone is not being touched? That's really unusual. Can you post a screen-shot, or even better, a video of this behavior?

 

Also wondering if you have any kind of case or screen protector, etc., on the phone.

 

Thanks,

 

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Reply
Options

22 Posts

10-21-2018

IN

44 Signins

691 Page Views

  • Posts: 22
  • Registered: ‎10-21-2018
  • Location: IN
  • Views: 691
  • Message 3 of 117

Re: [Motorola One Power] Proximity sensor triggers fingerprint scanner

2018-10-22, 16:27 PM

Hi Matt,

 

Thanks for responding!

 

Yes, the message appears on-screen even when the phone is laying idle.

 

I just tried taking a screenshot, but the moment I hit any of the keys, the screen changes to the one where we swipe to access the pattern lock.

 

I don't have access to a secondary phone at the moment, but once I do, I'll share a video of it.

 

In the meantime, do you have any idea as to what could be happening? Hardware or software? Damage or interference due to dirt?

 

Thanks!

Reply
Options

22 Posts

10-21-2018

IN

44 Signins

691 Page Views

  • Posts: 22
  • Registered: ‎10-21-2018
  • Location: IN
  • Views: 691
  • Message 4 of 117

Re: [Motorola One Power] Proximity sensor triggers fingerprint scanner

2018-10-22, 16:29 PM

Also, there isn't any additional fitting I've installed. Everything is as it was when I took it out of the box. This includes a thin screen guard and a flexible translucent rubber case.

Reply
Options

17589 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2202 Signins

51882 Page Views

  • Posts: 17589
  • Registered: ‎02-03-2016
  • Location: US
  • Views: 51882
  • Message 5 of 117

Re: [Motorola One Power] Proximity sensor triggers fingerprint scanner

2018-10-22, 17:28 PM

 wrote:

Also, there isn't any additional fitting I've installed. Everything is as it was when I took it out of the box. This includes a thin screen guard and a flexible translucent rubber case.


If you still have the plastic cling ("thin screen guard") on the phone, please remove it. It's really there to protect the screen during assembly, boxing, shipping, etc. 

 

Let me know if that makes a difference. Thanks!

 

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Reply
Options

22 Posts

10-21-2018

IN

44 Signins

691 Page Views

  • Posts: 22
  • Registered: ‎10-21-2018
  • Location: IN
  • Views: 691
  • Message 6 of 117

Re: [Motorola One Power] Proximity sensor triggers fingerprint scanner

2018-10-23, 6:33 AM

Here's a video showing the issue. Do let me know if you're unable to view it. I removed the obstruction over the proximity sensor quickly in the video, but if I leave an obstacle on top of it for prolonged durations, the issue doesn't happen during that window. But the moment I take it away, the issue comes right back.

 

About the screen cling, I was waiting to get a screen guard first before peeling it off. Do you think it's a likely cause of the issue? If you are, I can remove it immediately. I'd like to add though that the proximity sensor is not covered by the screen cling.

Reply
Options

17589 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2202 Signins

51882 Page Views

  • Posts: 17589
  • Registered: ‎02-03-2016
  • Location: US
  • Views: 51882
  • Message 7 of 117

Re: [Motorola One Power] Proximity sensor triggers fingerprint scanner

2018-10-23, 13:34 PM

 wrote:

Here's a video showing the issue. Do let me know if you're unable to view it. I removed the obstruction over the proximity sensor quickly in the video, but if I leave an obstacle on top of it for prolonged durations, the issue doesn't happen during that window. But the moment I take it away, the issue comes right back.

 

About the screen cling, I was waiting to get a screen guard first before peeling it off. Do you think it's a likely cause of the issue? If you are, I can remove it immediately. I'd like to add though that the proximity sensor is not covered by the screen cling.


I can't view it. Do you want to send it to us at motforums@motorola.com? If so, please link to this thread. Thanks.

 

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Reply
Options

22 Posts

10-21-2018

IN

44 Signins

691 Page Views

  • Posts: 22
  • Registered: ‎10-21-2018
  • Location: IN
  • Views: 691
  • Message 8 of 117

Re: [Motorola One Power] Proximity sensor triggers fingerprint scanner

2018-10-23, 15:19 PM

Matt,

 

I've sent the email to the email address you mentioned. The email subject is the same as the subject of this thread.

 

Wasn't sure what you meant by linking it here.

Reply
Options

22 Posts

10-21-2018

IN

44 Signins

691 Page Views

  • Posts: 22
  • Registered: ‎10-21-2018
  • Location: IN
  • Views: 691
  • Message 9 of 117

Re: [Motorola One Power] Proximity sensor triggers fingerprint scanner

2018-10-24, 6:31 AM

Oh, sorry. I just got it now when I re-read your message. I've sent an email on that same thread with the link. (Dim bulb! :D)

Reply
Options

22 Posts

10-21-2018

IN

44 Signins

691 Page Views

  • Posts: 22
  • Registered: ‎10-21-2018
  • Location: IN
  • Views: 691
  • Message 10 of 117

Re: [Motorola One Power] Proximity sensor triggers fingerprint scanner

2018-10-24, 10:38 AM

Matt,

 

Received a delivery failure message (PFA) in my inbox.

 

I'm not sure whether this was for the original email or the second one with the link to this thread.

 

Can you check whether you received the video?

Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save