Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

motorola one Phonesmotorola one vision
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

11-18-2021

Netherlands

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 21 of 27

Re:Android Security Patch — 1st of July 2021

2021-11-18, 14:51 PM

The same here, where I have a retail bought phone in the Netherlands.

No updates since July 1st, which is almost exactly 2 years after I got the phone.

This is really disappointing to see that an Android One phone is apparently not receiving any updates after 2 years.

No idea why other models of the same phone, but sold through other channels, are apparently receiving updates and even a newer Android version.

I have seen replies from others claiming they are getting updates, but why are the retail sold units not being updated?

It has been 5 months (!!) since the last security update.

This is not acceptable.

This is what was stated when the phone was sold:

[quote]

Devices that run Android One receive OS updates for at least two years after their release, and security patches for at least three years

[/quote]

(exact quote taken from Wikipedia, but since it is an Android One phone, it should apply)

That's clearly not happening here as we're already missing security updates for 5 months now.

Can you please focus on security here and provide security updates?

Not getting Android 11 is a pity, but past experience has taugh that Android version updates may cause all kinds of new issues.

Not getting security updates is a lot worse!

Options

6054 Posts

10-05-2016

United States of America

699 Signins

59632 Page Views

• Views: 59632
  • Message 22 of 27

2021-11-23, 19:32 PM

@ TD-er wrote:

The same here, where I have a retail bought phone in the Netherlands.

No updates since July 1st, which is almost exactly 2 years after I got the phone.

This is really disappointing to see that an Android One phone is apparently not receiving any updates after 2 years.

No idea why other models of the same phone, but sold through other channels, are apparently receiving updates and even a newer Android version.

I have seen replies from others claiming they are getting updates, but why are the retail sold units not being updated?

It has been 5 months (!!) since the last security update.

This is not acceptable.

This is what was stated when the phone was sold:

[quote]

Devices that run Android One receive OS updates for at least two years after their release, and security patches for at least three years

[/quote]

(exact quote taken from Wikipedia, but since it is an Android One phone, it should apply)

That's clearly not happening here as we're already missing security updates for 5 months now.

Can you please focus on security here and provide security updates?

Not getting Android 11 is a pity, but past experience has taugh that Android version updates may cause all kinds of new issues.

Not getting security updates is a lot worse!

Hi @ TD-er,

I know that you are waiting for the update to be released. Software and security update can't be released until it's fully tested. Have you tried to use the RSA tool to check for an update? If not, try to use this tool and see if it helps update the phone. 

Please let us know if you have other questions.

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

Please do not send me a personal message regarding your concerns or questions if this can be posted to this community. We prioritize the ones posting on threads.
Options

3 Posts

11-18-2021

Netherlands

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 23 of 27

2021-11-23, 22:27 PM

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think I do understand it.

Just realize that I am no stranger to programming, flashing, etc. as I do program microcontrollers for my business, along with electronics design.

What I don't understand is how you state in one sentence that there apparently is no update, as it is not yet released (or withdrawn???) and on the other hand advice me to use a tool to -probably- come to the same conclusion.

And just based on the info page of that tool I suspect that an uninformed user may very well -unintentional- wipe all the data from the phone in the process.

Or may hassle with USB drivers which is one thing I really can't have right now on my dev PC.

So please tell me if there is a new update for a retail Motorola One Vision, bought in the Netherlands which runs the latest (official, no unlocked bootloader, etc) version from July 1st.

And if there is no new version released as of now, please tell me the reason why not and when a new update is to be expected.

A while ago I searched on the Motorola page for a release date of Android 11 for the One Vision and according to that page it should have been released in the Netherlands.

However I have not seen it.

Has it been withdrawn due to a serious bug?

Why is there no information anywhere on this update debacle?

It is really simple, if there is a serious bug, then mention it to the customers.  If you don't mention it to the customers, then people will draw their own conclusions and simply walk away to another brand.

On the other hand, if there is a serious bug and you mention what is causing the delay, then people will understand and be prepared to wait as there is the well known "dot on the horizon".

But right now, without any information, there is no dot and it simply seems like the model is abandoned by the manufacturer.

I know this may sound a bit harsh, but I'm sure others will see it like this too only they will walk away and don't bother telling you why they walk away as you don't tell them why there is no new update or even if there is going to be one.

Options

1560 Posts

02-18-2019

United States of America

156 Signins

15109 Page Views

• Views: 15109
  • Message 24 of 27

2021-11-27, 0:59 AM

@ TD-er wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think I do understand it.

Just realize that I am no stranger to programming, flashing, etc. as I do program microcontrollers for my business, along with electronics design.

What I don't understand is how you state in one sentence that there apparently is no update, as it is not yet released (or withdrawn???) and on the other hand advice me to use a tool to -probably- come to the same conclusion.

And just based on the info page of that tool I suspect that an uninformed user may very well -unintentional- wipe all the data from the phone in the process.

Or may hassle with USB drivers which is one thing I really can't have right now on my dev PC.

So please tell me if there is a new update for a retail Motorola One Vision, bought in the Netherlands which runs the latest (official, no unlocked bootloader, etc) version from July 1st.

And if there is no new version released as of now, please tell me the reason why not and when a new update is to be expected.

A while ago I searched on the Motorola page for a release date of Android 11 for the One Vision and according to that page it should have been released in the Netherlands.

However I have not seen it.

Has it been withdrawn due to a serious bug?

Why is there no information anywhere on this update debacle?

It is really simple, if there is a serious bug, then mention it to the customers.  If you don't mention it to the customers, then people will draw their own conclusions and simply walk away to another brand.

On the other hand, if there is a serious bug and you mention what is causing the delay, then people will understand and be prepared to wait as there is the well known "dot on the horizon".

But right now, without any information, there is no dot and it simply seems like the model is abandoned by the manufacturer.

I know this may sound a bit harsh, but I'm sure others will see it like this too only they will walk away and don't bother telling you why they walk away as you don't tell them why there is no new update or even if there is going to be one.

Hi @ TD-er ,

I understand the need to have the latest updates. The upgrade to Android 11 began on September 9, 2021. The Moto One Vision will also continue to receive security updates. I will check with my team if there's an update that has been recently released in the Netherlands.

In the meantime, please update your profile with your current phone model, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know, by sending your reply here, if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are the source of the problem.

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Regards,
Mary
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

164 Posts

11-03-2019

Bulgaria

526 Signins

2143 Page Views

• Views: 2143
  • Message 25 of 27

2021-11-27, 3:51 AM
Do you have a sim card in your phone? I had the exact same problem, because I bought a new phone and One Vision was used for a backup phone. When I a sim card was inserted the phone received Android 11, after that the security patch of August, then September, then October and now for November.
Options

3 Posts

11-18-2021

Netherlands

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 26 of 27

2021-11-27, 10:07 AM

I have added the IMEI of my phone to my profile.I can't find the Settings -> Motorola Privacy. Is it in my profile, or on the phone?

Edit:

Found the Motorola Privacy option in the phone settings.

About having a SIM inserted. Yes I have a Vodafone SIM in my phone. It has been the same SIM since I bought the phone.

Options

5 Posts

04-05-2019

United States of America

5 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 27 of 27

2021-11-30, 15:10 PM

Concordo com a sua analise e sinceridade, pois gosto vir nos fóruns para saber melhor como está os produtos que me interessam e se vale a pena comprar.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms