Motorola Community

motorola one Phonesmotorola one vision
All Forum Topics

Downgrade to Android 9

2020-02-17, 17:56 PM

TL;DR

Phone updated to A10 against my will, I experienced performance loss, wanted to downgrade to A9, couldn't find a tutorial specific for this phone, only similars; they seemed complicated, saying I will lose warranty and not be able to update over the air again. I really wanted to go back to A9 but those two last things made me worried and a bit frustrated.

So... My phone decided to update on its own to android 10. I mean, it had downloaded the update and asked me to complete the installation. Since I'm new to android I was caught by surprise, as I had forgotten that android prioritizes dowloading and installing updates as soon as possible as default ( apparently). SO I went to the configurations, looked for and disabled the config to install updates upon restarting the device, because I did not want to use android 10, as I knew it would lower the performance and the only interesting thing on it for me was the dark mode. The thing is, one day my battery died, I plugged in the charger and when I came back my phone was on android 10. To confirm my fears, there was significant loss of performance in games (I know it's not a gaming phone, but it all ran very smooth before, while now... oh well).

Then I looked up about downgrading and found out it's not a very easy process and there are no tutorials to teach how to do it on this specific phone (which would be nice, cuz it would give me some confidence of having succes in the process). Yes, I found some other videos that say it will work on the one vision too, but what made me back off (aside from the dificulty of the process) was it saying it'll make me 1) lose the warranty (because of something called unlocking the bootloader...?). And that it'll make it 2) impossible to make future OTA updates. Is 1  true? Why? And about 2, how could I update the phone in the future, if necessary? Would it be too difficult?

Anyways, some enlightenment would be appreciated. Also if you have/know of a tutorial that safely works...

Options

30 Posts

05-27-2019

SE

182 Signins

1357 Page Views

• Views: 1357
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Downgrade to Android 9

2020-02-17, 20:28 PM

So you're saying the update made your phone slower?

For me it was the opposite. I feel like it's more fluent and maybe a tiny bit snappier. Don't know about performane in games as I don't play.

I did a factory reset in the update to get rid of annoying bugs due to OS version update and old data.

Maybe you could try reset unless you haven't tried that yet, and see if it gets any better.

Just remember to back up any valuable data before you do.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to try to downgrade. There's no "safe" method even if I know that someone with one action did it with unlocked bootloader.

I've seen too many bricks on people trying to downgrade on newer devices so it's not worth the risk.

Sure, it would get you back to pie, but even if OTA would work, the only update you would get is again the Android 10 update that you didn't even want in the first place.

2020-02-17, 21:43 PM

Yeah, I guess it's a risky thing for someone who doesn't know what he's doing... Just wish they'd make downgrading an easy thing, it's as if they obligate people to upgrade and stay that way.

Options

30 Posts

05-27-2019

SE

182 Signins

1357 Page Views

• Views: 1357
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-02-17, 22:01 PM

Yes, it's because of googles forced verified boot and rollback protection, so that you can't downgrade to an earlier, more vunerable version with exploits that have already been patched in a later version, for exampe to bypass frp and other security.

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/avb/+/master/README.md#Rollback-Protection

2020-02-17, 22:07 PM
correct me if I'm wrong, but don't phones that no longer receive new versions keep getting security updates? oh, but then having them releasing security updates on android 9 AND regular updates with security patches on 10 wouldn't make much sense... lol I guess I answered my question
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save