Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baunthiyal
Serial Port
Views: 342
Message 11 of 15

Re: Fullscreen on apps like Netflix and Amazon

This phone is BEAUTIFUL.
A lot of apps run full screen. Netflix and Amazon need to update their respective apps but there are some movies like Mowgli on Netflix and Venom on Amazon Prime that ideally should run in 21:9. I'm looking into the WHY of this.
The camera is amazing. Low light performance is great. Obviously not on par with Pixel. But hey, this one costs INR 20k. The phone is slightly thinner compared to others. By thin, I mean the edges. So easier to hold.
Here - https://www.flipkart.com/reviews/33f43ccd-0596-413b-a5fa-0687dba9f6f5

Can't say much about the updates. It is an Android One phone so ideally should get Q an R. Plus security patches for 3 years. But it's obviously upto Motorola.

Sent from my Vision
Mumbaikan
Punch Card
Views: 337
Message 12 of 15

Was waiting since launch for bronze gradient.
KarlBeckman
802.11n
Views: 286
Message 13 of 15

The original poster @baunthiyal is upset that he cannot view video on the screen at 21:9 aspect ratio.  As others have commented, his complaint should be aimed at the distribution networks.  HD video is defined as having a 16:9 ratio regardless of the screen resolution.  The great majority of currently produced video programming will continue to appear in 16:9 format for HDTV displays whether they are 720, 1024, or 4k.

Netflix and Amazon Prime and many other 'app' providers do need to update their apps to accomodate the 21:9 format.  But also realize that you are playing a zero-sum game here: If the app writers fit the full width onto the smartphone display, then you'll have "letterbox" bars at the top and bottm of the screen, much like the days not all that long ago when the USA transitioned from analog TV to digital.  And the apps will have to accomodate individual viewing devices of every possible aspect ratio. 

Highlighted
baunthiyal
Serial Port
Views: 276
Message 14 of 15

Thanks for your response @KarlBeckman.
I have obviously reached out to the respective distribution networks. But I also am a little confused by the fact that movies that have actually been released with 21:9 aspect ratio (Venom on Amazon Prime and Mowgli on Netflix) still do not show as such.
For example - https://blogs.sonymobile.com/2019/03/12/five-star-films-to-watch-in-219-on-your-new-five-star-xperia...
Some movies are from Netflix.
Are we completely sure that the app MUST be updated to accommodate viewing in 21:9 despite actual movies being released in that ratio?

Sent from my Vision
Mumbaikan
Punch Card
Views: 267
Message 15 of 15

I was surfing few videos on youtube regarding this 21:9 ratio usability. Sony Xperia 10 & New Xperia 1 both which has same aspect ratio screen plays full screen HD Videos from Netflix in 21:9 ratio, there design don't have any kind of notchs, i think which is the reason.

Moto gave Puch hole & 21:9  ratio screen to experience full screen view which we don't get to experience and Moto team can't blame on Netflix. They need to see why Xperia is able to and why not Vision.

For refernce: https://youtu.be/TmFrzvtPNcY

Top Kudoed Authors