Options

2 Posts

03-20-2020

CA

9 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 1 of 4

Just purchased, already 3 months behind on security updates (TELUS channel)

2020-03-20, 14:44 PM

Hey Moto folks,

I just got my Motorola One Vision a few days ago and was surprised to see that it is still on the December 2019 security patch. on top of that, it's still on Android 9 but that's not my top concern (although, still a pretty big concern).

The fact this phone was "Android One" was one of my primary reasons that lead me to purchase this phone for myself and my partner. Needless to say, this is not what I would consider Android One:

Android OS updates for 2 years

Regular security updates for 3 years

Let's expand on the two things that concern me here:

• Regular security updates - As a devops engineer, I get it, I really do. Major OS updates can be a hassle and take a lot of time. But not patching CVEs for at least 3 months is reckless and a violation of customer trust. For a phone that is suppose to be Android One, this is the minimum bar and not doing it is inexcusable.
  • Android OS updates for 2 years - We're already 8 months behind on OS updates. With this trend, only one major update can be expected to ship within that 2 year period (optimistically).

I don't need to bluster about "I've been a moto customer for years.." or whatever because that's not the point. The point is, don't say "Android One" if you are not committed to actually doing the work.

I sincerely hope this is simply a channel that was missed during rollouts. Regardless, would love to hear any status update (not dates, just status) on both android 10 and security updates for the TELUS channel (Canada to be clear).

I have already updated my profile with my phone model, IMEI andcell provider so, please, any info you can provide based on that would be great.

Options

2 Posts

03-20-2020

CA

9 Signins

55 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

Re:Just purchased, already 3 months behind on security updates (TELUS channel)

2020-03-24, 19:34 PM

4 days later: This is likely relevant to a majority of Motorola's Canadian customers so I would appreciate any kind of response or acknowledgement.

Options

17598 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2203 Signins

51932 Page Views

• Views: 51932
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-03-25, 17:10 PM

Hi.

It's being actively worked and barring any issues in final testing it should be out shortly.

To be eligible for early release, if possible, please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number.

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Regards,

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

2 Posts

03-20-2020

CA

9 Signins

55 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2020-03-26, 21:01 PM

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the response. To be clear, are you referring to the security patches or android 10? Android 10 would be nice but my primary concern is with timely security patches for the device.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save