Options

10 Posts

03-20-2020

CA

20 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 1 of 21

Just purchased, already 3 months behind on security updates (TELUS channel)

2020-03-20, 14:44 PM

Hey Moto folks,

I just got my Motorola One Vision a few days ago and was surprised to see that it is still on the December 2019 security patch. on top of that, it's still on Android 9 but that's not my top concern (although, still a pretty big concern).

The fact this phone was "Android One" was one of my primary reasons that lead me to purchase this phone for myself and my partner. Needless to say, this is not what I would consider Android One:

Android OS updates for 2 years

Regular security updates for 3 years

Let's expand on the two things that concern me here:

• Regular security updates - As a devops engineer, I get it, I really do. Major OS updates can be a hassle and take a lot of time. But not patching CVEs for at least 3 months is reckless and a violation of customer trust. For a phone that is suppose to be Android One, this is the minimum bar and not doing it is inexcusable.
  • Android OS updates for 2 years - We're already 8 months behind on OS updates. With this trend, only one major update can be expected to ship within that 2 year period (optimistically).

I don't need to bluster about "I've been a moto customer for years.." or whatever because that's not the point. The point is, don't say "Android One" if you are not committed to actually doing the work.

I sincerely hope this is simply a channel that was missed during rollouts. Regardless, would love to hear any status update (not dates, just status) on both android 10 and security updates for the TELUS channel (Canada to be clear).

I have already updated my profile with my phone model, IMEI andcell provider so, please, any info you can provide based on that would be great.

Options

10 Posts

03-20-2020

CA

20 Signins

130 Page Views

• Message 2 of 21

Re:Just purchased, already 3 months behind on security updates (TELUS channel)

2020-03-24, 19:34 PM

4 days later: This is likely relevant to a majority of Motorola's Canadian customers so I would appreciate any kind of response or acknowledgement.

Options

19258 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2367 Signins

58482 Page Views

• Views: 58482
  • Message 3 of 21

2020-03-25, 17:10 PM

Hi.

It's being actively worked and barring any issues in final testing it should be out shortly.

To be eligible for early release, if possible, please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number.

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Regards,

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

10 Posts

03-20-2020

CA

20 Signins

130 Page Views

• Message 4 of 21

2020-03-26, 21:01 PM

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the response. To be clear, are you referring to the security patches or android 10? Android 10 would be nice but my primary concern is with timely security patches for the device.

Options

10 Posts

03-20-2020

CA

20 Signins

130 Page Views

• Message 5 of 21

2020-04-11, 4:27 AM

It has been 131 days since the last security update for Motorola's Android One phone. For 131 days, all Canadian Motorola One phones have been exposed to vulnerabilities such as:

• A proximate attacker, using a specially crafted transmission, can execute arbitrary code within the context of a privileged process.
  • Remote information disclosure with no additional execution privileges needed.
  • A local malicious application can bypass user interaction requirements in order to gain access to additional permissions.

More specifically, every Canadian Motorola One phone is currently exposed to 18 high severity CVEs and 3 critical CVEs [0].

At this point, this phone seems functionally abandoned for all Canadians, despite the Android One promise. I've had Motorola phones for years and this is just... kinda sad. This will be the last Motorola product I will ever purchase as this experience has shown it's just not a company that can be trusted to keep it's word. I would honestly love to be proven wrong but I won't hold my breath at this point.

[0]: All of this info can be found here: https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2020. I ignored all the kernel & driver ones as I am not sure which apply.

Options

8 Posts

09-06-2019

DE

10 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 6 of 21

2020-04-12, 0:10 AM

Writing from germany, I am also a victim of Motorola's criminal behavior. The ANDROID ONE(!!!) Phone is now almost 4 months behind. This is disgusting and despiciple. I can't even tell how angry I am about this betraying, stealing, fraudulent company. 

Seriously, isn't android/google/alphabet seeing what Moto is doing to their Android One program?! They should take the licenese away from them and sue them for all they got!!!

Options

3 Posts

04-11-2020

CA

3 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 7 of 21

2020-04-12, 11:18 AM
Is this fixed yet???? Canadians , is Moto one vision updated yet to Android 10?
Options

3 Posts

09-05-2019

PL

25 Signins

204 Page Views

• Views: 204
  • Message 8 of 21

2020-04-12, 13:50 PM
Just wanted to weigh in, that it's pretty much the same here in Poland. There's two software channels - reteu, which is receiving timely updates, and openeu - which is 4 months behind. There's a moto website dedicated to listing moto devices that are slated for updates, and openeu moto one vision isn't even listed there - which means that it will never any updates, even though I've bought it less than a year ago. Upon contacting the customer service, they told me that "they have no information about it". I feel scammed, lied to and I'm furious, that I've wasted my time and money.
Options

10 Posts

03-20-2020

CA

20 Signins

130 Page Views

• Message 9 of 21

2020-04-15, 14:52 PM

Hey forum admins,

I've seen you respond to other similar threads here so I am just bumping this again in the hopes that you can investigate why us Canadians are so far behind on security patches.

Options

3 Posts

09-05-2019

PL

25 Signins

204 Page Views

• Views: 204
  • Message 10 of 21

2020-04-17, 10:30 AM
Since I've previously weighed in, I feel like I have to update now. I've just received March SU along with Android 10 (Poland, openeu). Hope Canada gets the update soon.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete