10-13-2019

IN

26 Signins

114 Page Views

• Views: 114
  • Message 1 of 76

Moto one vision display

2019-10-13, 12:07 PM

Among several other issues, I've noticed that whenever I play a video in full screen mode the colors become oversaturated and kinda muddy. I wish I could share a screencap but it wouldn't show up in the recording. 

Please help. It's really annoying. Factory resets don't help. Also, Netflix HD playback isn't supported apparently

The images below are recreations not screenshots as the defect won't appear on screenshots, much like the yellow cast of the night light feature that doesn't appear on screenshots.

Options

1951 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1747 Signins

26863 Page Views

• Views: 26863
  • Message 2 of 76

Re: Moto one vision display

2019-10-13, 12:41 PM

wrote:

Among several other issues, I've noticed that whenever I play a video in full screen mode the colors become oversaturated and kinda muddy. I wish I could share a screencap but it wouldn't show up in the recording. 

Please help. It's really annoying. Factory resets don't help. Also, Netflix HD playback isn't supported apparently.

Have you tried a different player to rule out the app?

Try VLC player.It's free and ad-free and can play more fprmats than stock Android players,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.videolan.vlc&hl=en_GB

HTH :)

Options

16 Posts

10-13-2019

IN

26 Signins

114 Page Views

• Message 3 of 76

Re: Moto one vision display

2019-10-13, 12:45 PM
Yes i have. But it happens with any video player whatsoever, including youtube, vimeo, file explorer, vlc, mx player etc.
Options

16 Posts

10-13-2019

IN

26 Signins

114 Page Views

• Message 4 of 76

Full screen video washed out highlights

2019-10-14, 2:42 AM

Whenever I play a video in fullscreen mode ie landscape mode, the phone - what looks like a filter - does something and the highlights become washed out. I can't unfortunately take a screenshot of it as the defect won't show up on the screencaps or anything. Curiously it doesn't happen whilst playing videos in windowed mode or in portrait orientation. Is it a hardware defect or is it happening to everyone? Please help me out.

I don't necessarily need a solution as much as I want to know if it's just my unit or if it's universal. Can't find anything online and i won't be able to get a replacement after 19th October. Please let me know.

I've edited a screenshot to represent what it looks like. 

You can find the video on YouTube under Philip Bloom's chanel and the video is titled "SONY FX9 TEST SHOTS - Amazing Colour and Autofocus".

Options

19208 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2357 Signins

58162 Page Views

• Views: 58162
  • Message 5 of 76

Re: Full screen video washed out highlights

2019-10-14, 15:52 PM

Hi.

I combined your posts -- please don't double post. Also, the "yellow cast" for night light is deliberate. Not sure that was clear of not, but it is supposed to make it easier to wind down for sleep compared to the daytime "blue cast" light.

I am having a tough time distinguishing between the pictures, at least in a way that I could report this to an engineer. Are you seeing a difference between the "saturation" or "washed out" aspect when it's in portrait mode vs. landscape? 

Also, what is your brightness setting?

Thanks,

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

16 Posts

10-13-2019

IN

26 Signins

114 Page Views

• Message 6 of 76

2019-10-14, 16:18 PM

Hi, thanks. Sorry about the duplicate post. Was in a hurry and couldn't find a way to appropriately edit it from my phone. 

Yes, I'm aware that the yellow cast is deliberate. I was just trying to explain how the washed out highlights don't show up in the screenshots, much like night light's yellow cast/blue light filter.

I thought i was seeing a saturation difference but upon close inspection i realized that it was kind of an illusion.

In my case, whenever i switch the video to fullscreen, after about 500ms the highlights become washed out and the details in the highlights become indistinguishable. See the post to the left of the image of the woman.

I'm using adaptive brightness. The issue persists regardless of the state of that setting.

I hope the distinction is clear enough. It's like the phone is artificially pulling the highlights down, much like this curve below.

Options

19208 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2357 Signins

58162 Page Views

• Message 7 of 76

2019-10-14, 19:17 PM

Hi.

I looked at this and I have an opinion of it, but it could be a misunderstanding.

The woman is moving back toward the wall and then forward toward the camera. As she moves back and forth, the wall goes in and out of focus but the wall is blurred the farther away she is. Are the two wall close-ups at the exact same time?

Other than that, it may be possible to see that a stretched, full-screen image is slightly lighter and less sharp than the smaller image. It's very slight to my eye; I may be imagining it.

I had a colleague look and neither of us could find anything we could classify as an issue here.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

16 Posts

10-13-2019

IN

26 Signins

114 Page Views

• Message 8 of 76

2019-10-14, 23:59 PM

Still frames don't go in and out of focus.

Here's another example.

Is this a big enough difference for you to notice? I'm not an idiot to not know the difference between bokeh and a problem. If you work for lenovo please have someone who works at the display department have a look at it, assuming they know what they're doing.

Other than this, despite being a display with a wide color gamut, the colors are WAAAYYYY off and the white point is way too high, to the point that the whites look bluish.

Options

19208 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2357 Signins

58162 Page Views

• Message 9 of 76

2019-10-15, 14:25 PM

wrote:

Still frames don't go in and out of focus.

Here's another example.

Is this a big enough difference for you to notice? I'm not an idiot to not know the difference between bokeh and a problem. If you work for lenovo please have someone who works at the display department have a look at it, assuming they know what they're doing.

Other than this, despite being a display with a wide color gamut, the colors are WAAAYYYY off and the white point is way too high, to the point that the whites look bluish.

What is the first image from? Or is this another photoshopped example to show what you're experiencing?

I'm sincerely not trying to be insulting; I'm trying to understand. And I am not sure what your expectation is. What are you comparing the phone to?

- Matt

Options

16 Posts

10-13-2019

IN

26 Signins

114 Page Views

• Message 10 of 76

2019-10-15, 14:44 PM
I'm comparing the phone to the same exact phone when it's playing the video in windowed mode. The snapshot is from a philip bloom's video, called "Harriet the beach cat", 3m27s. (Dunno if URLs are allowed on this site. Can't be bothered to read the t&c.). Look, the second image is indeed "photoshopped" (used snapseed) but it exactly replicates what my eyes are seeing. This is the best way that i can find to explain my situation. (A little background, I'm studying filmmaking and understanding colors and displays is a big part of my course. Therefore, and trust me when i say this, I know what the f I'm talking about. I also own a display that can reproduce 100% of Adobe RGB in 10 bit color, and a SpyderX pro to calibrate it. So I know what the colors and a correct gamma should look like.) Now, I'm not comparing this phone to high end displays nor am I saying it needs to have a perfect white point of 6500K and gamma 2.2. However, i'd like it to not artificially pull the highlights down WHEN I PLAY A VIDEO IN FULL SCREEN MODE. I don't know programming and i don't know how these PCBs and SoCs function so I wouldn't be able to tell you if it's a hardware issue or software. If i could, i wouldn't be wasting my time over here. Allow me to give a TLDR version for a layman. 1. The videos look fine when it's playing in portrait mode/windowed mode, regardless the app being used. 2. The videos look awful when i switch to landscape mode/full screen mode.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete