US

2244 Signins

53637 Page Views

• Views: 53637
  • Message 11 of 71

Re: Full screen video washed out highlights

2019-10-18, 15:36 PM

wrote:
I'm comparing the phone to the same exact phone when it's playing the video in windowed mode. The snapshot is from a philip bloom's video, called "Harriet the beach cat", 3m27s. (Dunno if URLs are allowed on this site. Can't be bothered to read the t&c.). Look, the second image is indeed "photoshopped" (used snapseed) but it exactly replicates what my eyes are seeing. This is the best way that i can find to explain my situation. (A little background, I'm studying filmmaking and understanding colors and displays is a big part of my course. Therefore, and trust me when i say this, I know what the f I'm talking about. I also own a display that can reproduce 100% of Adobe RGB in 10 bit color, and a SpyderX pro to calibrate it. So I know what the colors and a correct gamma should look like.) Now, I'm not comparing this phone to high end displays nor am I saying it needs to have a perfect white point of 6500K and gamma 2.2. However, i'd like it to not artificially pull the highlights down WHEN I PLAY A VIDEO IN FULL SCREEN MODE. I don't know programming and i don't know how these PCBs and SoCs function so I wouldn't be able to tell you if it's a hardware issue or software. If i could, i wouldn't be wasting my time over here. Allow me to give a TLDR version for a layman. 1. The videos look fine when it's playing in portrait mode/windowed mode, regardless the app being used. 2. The videos look awful when i switch to landscape mode/full screen mode.

It's a bit too subtle for me but passing it on to the display team. 

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

12 Posts

10-13-2019

IN

24 Signins

109 Page Views

• Views: 109
  • Message 12 of 71

2019-10-18, 15:40 PM
Thank you very much. All I want to know if it's a software thing or hardware thing so that I know if I should wait for an update or give up hope.
Options

3 Posts

11-10-2019

AU

5 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 13 of 71

2019-11-23, 10:55 AM

Hi,

I have exctly this problem:

• full-screen video gets "white-crushed" shortly after all the player "chrome" fades off. 
  • Screenshots do not show the problem
  • Affects web-browser video, the Vimeo "instant app", Netflix. I don't think I've seen it in the Twitter app.
  • it is kinda subtle (and lots of less well shot videos can have the problem "baked in" due to overexposure). But once you see it, it's unmissable
  • I notice it mostly in the faces of (white) people

In fact, it's readily apparent to me in the clip MionW has cited (SONY FX9 TEST SHOTS - Amazing colour and autofocus!), but in an earlier shot:

Pause on the woman's face at 0:50 - the link above goes straight to that time - and rotate the phone between portrait and landscape. Shortly after going full screen, you should the whole left side of her nose (and upper lip) loses a lot of detail. Rotate back and forth and this happens again every time you switch in to landscape/fullscreen. You can also tap in full screen to toggle the controls and the detail returns when the controls are on screen.

(NB, I noticed that if I switched to the already-paused YouTube app from another app, the paused frame was 21:9 full-screen and did not have the issue, but if you play a tiny bit, the clip goes to its native 16:9 and has the problem).

As someone with some vague video engineering experience, it looks like the fullscreen video is going through a different (and not-quite-right) LUT to the main system graphics. Particularly as the screenshots come out OK.

Oh, I  have my "Display -> Colours" set to "natural". The phone shipped with "saturated" which I found a bit too much (but the issue is still there if I switch back to "Saturated")

Hope you can replicate! I could probably record the steps to replicate with another phone's camera (with the exposure locked) if necessary. 

Anyway, please note this issue i affecting at least two moto one users!

Options

12 Posts

10-13-2019

IN

24 Signins

109 Page Views

• Message 14 of 71

2019-11-23, 11:30 AM
FINALLY someone who knows what they're doing!

Yes. I agree about the LUT thing. This phone supports HDR video playback and I'm guessing that some awful HDR conversion LUT is being applied to any video, regardless of its dynamic range.
I may be completely wrong but that's what it looks like.
Options

75 Posts

11-03-2019

BG

452 Signins

1528 Page Views

• Views: 1528
  • Message 15 of 71

2019-11-23, 14:49 PM

Yes, I have exactly the same problem. I noticed that in YouTube app where I watch a lot of videos. 

If you play any video with white clouds and turn in landscape you will see how the clouds almost disappear.

The same is with very bright faces.

I'm sure that this is a software problem, but how long we have to wait to be fixed.

Options

75 Posts

11-03-2019

BG

452 Signins

1528 Page Views

• Message 16 of 71

2019-11-23, 14:49 PM

Here the same scane in landscape

Options

12 Posts

10-13-2019

IN

24 Signins

109 Page Views

• Message 17 of 71

2019-11-23, 16:53 PM
My guess is it's a software thing and every moto one vision has this issue. But apparently almost nobody notices it as demonstrated by our dear admin.
Either that or it's a hardware thing affecting only a few devices, even though it seems unlikely.
Options

3 Posts

11-10-2019

AU

5 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 18 of 71

2019-11-23, 21:26 PM

In addition to video engineering, I've also worked in tech support for a long time and I'd just like to say: Matt, you're doing a great job, thanks for passing the previous reports, hopefully this extra info makes the issue clearer and more repeatable.

We owners need to get as many "I have this issue too" clicks and clear demonstrations as we can, to help moto/leno fix this.

Yes, I think this is a software issue (which might just be wishful thinking, but it can show every other kind of imge perfectly). And yes, clouds and faces (of white people) are where I see it the most.

Options

1 Posts

11-24-2019

IS

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 19 of 71

2019-11-24, 1:29 AM

Just wanted to say I have this issue as well.

I find I notice this the most when I'm watching a YouTube video with a person on a talk show like Comedy Central. The face always looks like it has some beauty filter on it and is totally washed out and mono tone.

Would be nice to have a solution for this.

Options

75 Posts

11-03-2019

BG

452 Signins

1528 Page Views

• Message 20 of 71

2019-11-24, 8:46 AM

https://youtu.be/UGOGfrR0Q7w

Play this video and go to 6:48 and test it. Every One Vision has this bad HDR like effect.

Please Motorola, fix it ASAP!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save