DE

11 Signins

194 Page Views

• Views: 194
  • Message 1 of 9

Motorola One Vision: Data corruption on SDs when used as "internal" memory

2019-12-23, 11:01 AM

Hi,

I experience data corruption with files residing on an SD card used as "internal" memory in the Motorola One Vision. This seems to be independent of the SD card brand and happened on more than one Motorola One Vision phone.

Steps to reproduce:

1.  Format an SD card as "internal" memory on your Motorola One Vision.
  2. Create some files so that they are stored on the SD card, e.g. by installing large dictionary apps, or downloading some audio files in a podcasting app.
  3. Notice file corruption for some files after a while (typically a few hours): Some dictionaries no longer work, some audio is garbled.

To easily confirm which files have been corrupted, I used a checksum application (I found "Hash Calc (Checksum Utility)" usefull, but any tool that can save and compare checksums should do).

I can confirm this issue with both Motorola One Visions I have/had available (both manufactured 2019-05) and all SD cards I tried  (128GB, different vendors, manufacturing dates years apart).

Formatting and using the same SD cards as "portable" in the Motorola One Vision does not suffer from this corruption issue, so this is obviously not a hardware issue but rather a software problem.

PS:

Dear Moderators, my previous post regarding this issue has silently disappeared. I dont't know why. If you feel this posting is inappropriate, please let me know so I can share my findings somewhere else.

Options

17 Posts

12-19-2019

BR

144 Signins

822 Page Views

• Views: 822
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Motorola One Vision: Data corruption on SDs when used as "internal" memory

2019-12-23, 12:03 PM

This problem is not a Motorola thing, it can happen with any OEM since it's an Android problem.

Before you change the SD I recommend always backup your files or use a new SD card in the process to avoid the corruption of your files.

Options

6 Posts

12-22-2019

DE

11 Signins

194 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2019-12-23, 12:48 PM

wrote:

This problem is not a Motorola thing, it can happen with any OEM since it's an Android problem.

Before you change the SD I recommend always backup your files or use a new SD card in the process to avoid the corruption of your files.

You say that no OEM Android device can use an SD as internal memory without data corruption?! Please provide a reference for this claim.

What do you mean by "Before you change the SD"? I am not talking about changing an SD! I am freshly formatting a new SD.

Please, re-read my post carefully.

Options

1721 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1617 Signins

25278 Page Views

• Views: 25278
  • Message 4 of 9

2019-12-23, 14:49 PM

The problems I've see with using Micro SD cards for Adoptive/Internal memory seem to be with the SDXC versions. The standard Class 10 SDHC don't seem to have the problems.

Note: Once an SD card has been formatted as,"Internal" it should never be software ejected or physically removed as it's bonded to the Phone and data corruption will occur.

Options

17 Posts

12-19-2019

BR

144 Signins

822 Page Views

• Views: 822
  • Message 5 of 9

2019-12-23, 15:12 PM

escreveu:

wrote:

You say that no OEM Android device can use an SD as internal memory without data corruption?! Please provide a reference for this claim.

What do you mean by "Before you change the SD"? I am not talking about changing an SD! I am freshly formatting a new SD.

Please, re-read my post carefully.

I may have chose the wrong words to express myself, by change I meant formatting the SD card. 

You can do a little research and see that it happens with every OEM, some doesn't even let you do that natively, you need to do it by a custom recovery (e.g. Samsung) 

I'm sure that there must be a way to use as internal storage without the data lost, maybe class 10 cards but I don't know how to do it.

Options

17986 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2256 Signins

54297 Page Views

• Views: 54297
  • Message 6 of 9

2019-12-23, 18:15 PM

wrote:

Hi,

I experience data corruption with files residing on an SD card used as "internal" memory in the Motorola One Vision. This seems to be independent of the SD card brand and happened on more than one Motorola One Vision phone.

Steps to reproduce:

1.  Format an SD card as "internal" memory on your Motorola One Vision.
  2. Create some files so that they are stored on the SD card, e.g. by installing large dictionary apps, or downloading some audio files in a podcasting app.
  3. Notice file corruption for some files after a while (typically a few hours): Some dictionaries no longer work, some audio is garbled.

To easily confirm which files have been corrupted, I used a checksum application (I found "Hash Calc (Checksum Utility)" usefull, but any tool that can save and compare checksums should do).

I can confirm this issue with both Motorola One Visions I have/had available (both manufactured 2019-05) and all SD cards I tried  (128GB, different vendors, manufacturing dates years apart).

Formatting and using the same SD cards as "portable" in the Motorola One Vision does not suffer from this corruption issue, so this is obviously not a hardware issue but rather a software problem.

PS:

Dear Moderators, my previous post regarding this issue has silently disappeared. I dont't know why. If you feel this posting is inappropriate, please let me know so I can share my findings somewhere else.

Hi.

Not personally a fan of internal formatting for a lot of reasons, including possible corruption. We would like to get some information on this. Would you mind getting us a bug report? It's not as complicated as it may look.

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
2. After the above steps Developer options will be enabled and will show in your Settings menu.
3. Go to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
4. Enable Settings > Developer options > Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings > Developer options > Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
6. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
7. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and share the link to the Bug Report via an email to supportforums@motorola.com, and include a note referring to this post so we know what it refers to.
8. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

We would also like the make/model/class of the card being used and a sample audio file after it's been corrupted.

Thanks,

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

6 Posts

12-22-2019

DE

11 Signins

194 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2019-12-23, 21:14 PM

wrote:

I may have chose the wrong words to express myself, by change I meant formatting the SD card. 

You can do a little research and see that it happens with every OEM, some doesn't even let you do that natively, you need to do it by a custom recovery (e.g. Samsung) 

I'm sure that there must be a way to use as internal storage without the data lost, maybe class 10 cards but I don't know how to do it.

I think you still don't understand the issue I am talking about.

Options

6 Posts

12-22-2019

DE

11 Signins

194 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2019-12-23, 21:57 PM

wrote:

Hi.

Not personally a fan of internal formatting for a lot of reasons, including possible corruption. We would like to get some information on this.

Thanks Matt, for looking into this.

Well, the big plus of internal formatting is that this is the only way to keep data on the SD card safely encrypted. Therefore, Google recommends to use SD cards as internal storage, and I agree.

Data corruption should never happen with internal storage either. There is no reason why it should be less stable than "portable" storage.

Would you mind getting us a bug report? It's not as complicated as it may look.

I am happy to assist, and will sent some more details to the mentioned address.

However, it already took me a lot of hours to install, analyze, and reinstall the phones multiple times. I have now installed everything with portable storage and am not looking forward to start all over again with hours of installing and setup, sorry.

I sent the first phone back to Amazon.de though (it also had a badly glued on screen). I can give you a photo of that phones box label, maybe Motorola can get hold of it for testing? But my suspicion is that every phone will show this behaviour anyway. I have reproduced the issue on both phones (steps are in the first post). Once you know what to look for, the issue is in fact quite easy to reproduce.

Also, what would the BugReport dump include? There is confidential information on my phone that I can not share.

Cheers,

Olaf

Options

17986 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2256 Signins

54297 Page Views

• Views: 54297
  • Message 9 of 9

2019-12-24, 14:55 PM

wrote:

wrote:

Hi.

Not personally a fan of internal formatting for a lot of reasons, including possible corruption. We would like to get some information on this.

Thanks Matt, for looking into this.

Well, the big plus of internal formatting is that this is the only way to keep data on the SD card safely encrypted. Therefore, Google recommends to use SD cards as internal storage, and I agree.

Data corruption should never happen with internal storage either. There is no reason why it should be less stable than "portable" storage.

Would you mind getting us a bug report? It's not as complicated as it may look.

I am happy to assist, and will sent some more details to the mentioned address.

However, it already took me a lot of hours to install, analyze, and reinstall the phones multiple times. I have now installed everything with portable storage and am not looking forward to start all over again with hours of installing and setup, sorry.

I sent the first phone back to Amazon.de though (it also had a badly glued on screen). I can give you a photo of that phones box label, maybe Motorola can get hold of it for testing? But my suspicion is that every phone will show this behaviour anyway. I have reproduced the issue on both phones (steps are in the first post). Once you know what to look for, the issue is in fact quite easy to reproduce.

Also, what would the BugReport dump include? There is confidential information on my phone that I can not share.

Cheers,

Olaf

Hi.

Other than things like your IMEI and serial number, no. It's stuff like what apps you are running, error messages, what is happening with the hardware (vibration motor running, screen touches, etc.). No personal information, nothing like a document or screenshot.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save