12-27-2019

US

1 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 10

Camera Problem / Night Mode

2019-12-27, 17:51 PM

I searched the forum but didn't find anything on this topic yet. I have a Motorola One Zoom which I bought for the supposedly good camera. Now I have a special problem:

The camera will take pictrues in Night Mode BUT it will not save them IF the object photographed is not bright enough. If the motif is bright, the camera will save the image so it can be viewed in the gallery, etc. But then I wouldn't need Night Mode. If the scenery I take a picture of is not really bright -> no picture.

Please note that the camera produces its confident shutter sound AND the image taken appears as a small thumbnail in the lower right corner BUT if I click on the thumbnail I receive an error message. Also not such picture can be found in the phone's memory or SD (same effect no matter which drive I chose for storage of camera images).

Also note that this problem occurs only if the camera is in Night Mode. I can take the same image in standard mode and the image will be saved and subsequently can be viewed. It is somewhat grainy, though, as the resolution is not post-corrected as I guess it would be in Night Mode.

Also note that no warning is given like "Scenery too dark" or similar. Which wouldn't make sense for a Night Mode in the first place...

Can you help me solve this mystery?

Solved! See the solution
Options

10 Posts

02-26-2020

DK

31 Signins

185 Page Views

• Views: 185
  • Message 2 of 10

Re:Camera Problem / Night Mode

2020-02-26, 15:04 PM

I've had the exact same problem since December, I think.

Here's a screen recording of the issue. The phone's language is set to Danish, so I'll use the English translations in this reply instead. 

Steps 1-4 shows a working Camera app in Normal Mode photography; steps 5-8 reproduces the erroneous Camera app function of Night Mode photography:

1. Open native Camera app
  2. Touch the Trigger button to take a normal picture
  3. Click the thumbnail to open a new Activity (Google Files) to see picture taken, to make sure that picture exists and is viewable from the Camera app
  4. Click "Back"
  5. Click Night Mode icon 
  6. Touch the Trigger button to take a Night Mode picture 
  7. Click the thumbnail of Night Mode picture -> ERROR: "Activity not found"
  8. Swap to recently used app Google Files and reload content -> ERROR: Night Mode picture does not exist.

I hope this demonstration is helpful despite no available log files.

Options

1588 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

279 Signins

17144 Page Views

• Views: 17144
  • Message 3 of 10

2020-03-02, 3:56 AM

Hi Ramon_Zoom & 0x52,

Thanks for posting and sorry to know about this. Please make sure the camera is updated from Play Store. Also, let me know which camera version are you using?

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

10 Posts

02-26-2020

DK

31 Signins

185 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2020-03-02, 11:29 AM
Hey there, Both phone and camera apps are fully updated (reteu): Moto Camera 2: 7.2.57.11-denali Moto Camera Content: 1.0.5.3 Moto Camera Tuner 2: 1.20.12-foles Android 9 Build: PPHS29.59-51-3 Kernel: 4.14.83-perf+ Doing a full factory reset, including clearing caches, does not fix this issue.
Options

1588 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

279 Signins

17144 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2020-03-04, 4:47 AM

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the details-- we would like to investigate this, kindly share a Bug Report on this. Here are the steps--

1.  Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]

2. After the above steps Developer options will be enabled.

3. Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On

4. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On

5. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power-down menu.

6. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.

7. Then upload the Bug Report to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the Bug Report on the forums in a reply or via a private message.

8. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time. 

Also, please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link - https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

10 Posts

02-26-2020

DK

31 Signins

185 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2020-03-04, 9:11 AM

I have captured a bug report on this issue and sent the information to Agent_Suman via Private Message.

Options

1588 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

279 Signins

17144 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2020-03-05, 4:50 AM

Hi 0x52,

Thank you for sharing the Bug report and all the details! I have updated our concerned team, once updated I will notify you.

Regards,

Suman

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

10 Posts

02-26-2020

DK

31 Signins

185 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2020-03-05, 7:20 AM

Hello once again,

I have done some further testing.

This issue involves a hardcoded requirement for Google Photos app to be installed, for some weird reason.

Personally I do not like Google Photos app (for several reasons, one being privacy), so I always force-stop it and disable it. 

With Google Photos disabled, the One Zoom cannot save photographs taken in Night Vision and displays the "Activity not found" toast when attempting to click the generated thumbnail.

Activating Google Photos and taking a Night Vision photograph, everything works just fine and the image is saved correctly.

Why any developer would hardcode this requirement instead of just asking for any available app, I do not know, but it seems super sloppy to me.

With this knowledge, you should have the issue fixed in a matter in minutes :)

-R

Options

10 Posts

02-26-2020

DK

31 Signins

185 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2020-05-02, 5:06 AM

This problem still exists. 

If Google Photos is not installed (or is deactivated), Night Mode in low-light conditions will not save pictures.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

17986 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2256 Signins

54297 Page Views

• Views: 54297
  • Message 10 of 10

2020-05-04, 18:09 PM

@ 0x52 wrote:

This problem still exists. 

If Google Photos is not installed (or is deactivated), Night Mode in low-light conditions will not save pictures.

Hi.

The camera is integrated with Photos, so I suspect you have put your finger on the reason. I don't see us decoupling those two items, though you can always use a 3rd-party gallery instead. (And enjoy Night Mode as long as you let Photos continue to run. You can turn off the sync if that is the issue.)

Thanks for sharing your findings.

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save