10-28-2019

US

4 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 1 of 2

Camera feature request

2019-10-28, 15:32 PM

I have a One Zoom and just love this mobile. It's the third Motorola I've tested this year. It shoots spectacular video, has great battery life, huge storage capability, is easy to use, and is the right price point for my application. That is creating mobile journalist workflow for the TV and digital networks my company helps launch. Here's a simple "proof of concept" example shot and edited on the One Zoom: https://photos.app.goo.gl/MxHqjtcx2JYy8LC2A 

It would be even better with a few small additions to the camera app.

1. The ability of the camera app to recognize a wired audio input

2. The ability of the camera app to recognize bluetooth audio input as well

3. These audio inputs working on both forward and reverse cameras

4. The ability to choose where files shot with the app are stored, and 

5. Recording video in H.265 or HEVC to reduce file sizes. 

I know you're trying to make the apps as simple as possible, which is great, but these additions would help a great deal for professional use. I'd like to see "all of the above" options, which would keep basic operation simple. 

Audio is really the biggest thing preventing this mobile from becoming the permier tool for mobile journalists around the world. Framing for a good interview shot puts the mobile far enough away to pick up too much background noise in anything but the quietest of scenes. Good, clear audio is actually more important for journalists than crisp video. 

Saving all clips in the "pictures" folder, which comes with auto-backup to the cloud, is very convenient in countries with cheap, fast mobile bandwidth or available WiFi, but is cost and time prohibitive in countries without either. Getting a choice for where to store video clips would make file management much easier for daily video recording. 

Generally great job on the moble though. I've been through a bunch of them from different manufacturers and the Lenovo/Motorola products are far and away the best price/performance leaders. 

Options

3 Posts

10-28-2019

US

4 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Camera feature request

2019-12-14, 14:57 PM

I'd like to add to this. The Motorola One Action is built to shoot video and is a very clever mobile at a good price point, yet I can't find anthing that indicates it will allow external mics or bluetooth for the audio to go with that video either. In fact--- from my testing of four different Motorola phones, they won't accept any external audio input... only the built-in mic, so you have to use a third party app like Onecamera for this 'feature". 

Hell, if you'll give the the API, I'll get it built. I'm working with some developers to do just that right now, but it will also be an external app, which hopefully will also allow video editing. This is the other half of shooting video. Better if all that was built in. 

And while I'm on a rank, the other thing professionals need is better file management, particularly in developing countries. It's a great feature to have everything backed up to the cloud, but that only works in countries where service is cheap and pipes are big. In many developing countries, there isn't much bandwidth and what is there is very expensive. They need a way to decide what is uploaded.... not everything in the gallery. This can be achieved by simply choosing to put video in the regular gallery or a "video folder". 

I'm a big fan of simplicity, but workflow is all important. I've trained thousands of journalists and watched them get frustrated because apps are far more complicated than they should be.... or so simplistic they're useless. But some features are needed by everyone. 

Rant over. Thanks for listening. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete