09-16-2019

US

9 Signins

122 Page Views

• Views: 122
  • Message 1 of 24

Can't turn on WiFi Hot Spot or Tethering

2019-09-16, 23:29 PM

On my new Moto One Zoom I cannot turn on the WiFi hotspot or Tethering (Bluetooh nor USB) from the Status bar - Hotspot charm.  When I down swipe the status bar and long press the Hotspot charm I see the Hotspot & tethering screen however none of the toggle switches there will allow me to turn on any of the hotspot or tethering features.  I am able to setup the hotspot connection: Name, security, password, etc.

If I quick press the Hotspot charm the phone acts as though it is turning on the hotspot, however, the notification message under the Hotspot charm just sits there with notification text stating "Turning On...".  It never turns on. 

If I connect a PC to the phone via a USB cable, I am able to turn on tethering via the USB preferences screen and the PC can share the the data connection - So long as I have not previously tried to turn on the Hotspot.  If I had tried to turn on hotspot, USB preferences does not work until I restart the phone.  

I am using AT&T for my service and do have data sharing.  My just recently retired Moto X Pure had no trouble with hotspot and tethering. Also other phones on my plan are able to use both.

Any thoughts on how I can remedy this?

Solved! See the solution
Options

47 Posts

12-17-2008

US

140 Signins

1101 Page Views

• Views: 1101
  • Message 2 of 24

Re: Can't turn on WiFi Hot Spot or Tethering

2019-09-17, 5:20 AM

Just tried the same here and got the same result... 

It is unfortunate situation here it seems - some quick search shows that Android Pie on Motorola has this issue.

Motorola claims this is a carrier issue, but I don't really beleive that - my AT&T account has Hotspot, is correctly provisioned and HotSpot works on other phones without any issue.

I did not switch to new phone yet, just testing. Will ask their support if this can be resolved, if not, I'll have to return the phone - sad, I really like it, especially cameras :( 

--
DG
NJ
Options

47 Posts

12-17-2008

US

140 Signins

1101 Page Views

• Message 3 of 24

2019-09-18, 3:48 AM

I went to AT&T store today and we made sure that there is no issue on  the carrier:

- We reprovisioned account

- Made sure that IMEI is registered properly

- Replaced SIM card with the new one

- Verified that SIM card supports Hotspot in AT&T retail phone

Nothing helped.

I also did the following:

- Factory reset of the phone - not fixed

- Installed non-AT&T SIM card - Hotspot works perfectly

- Tried workaround as described in this forum for other Motorola phones which got this issue after Pie upgrade - it works too, but VERY inconvinient

This is not carrier issue as their support claims - I spoke with them as well. Asked to escalate, but level 1 called again asking to do factory reset (done), speek to AT&T (also done).

There next step - replace the phone... Because it is "not a known issue". I asked to escalate again, but hopes are very low, I do not think they have anyone in US who even understands what the issue is.

I want to try and flash EU version of firmware... Not sure if this can be done without unlocking bootloared though.

(This trick worked very well for my Sony to unlock fingerprint sensor, so I'd think EU version won't care about AT&T much).

Anyone have any insights on this? (FIrmware is available, I just need more info...)

--
DG
NJ
Options

191 Posts

03-20-2016

DE

220 Signins

2113 Page Views

• Views: 2113
  • Message 4 of 24

2019-09-18, 11:44 AM
Not an good idea (to flash).
Wait for an Moderator/Admin
Options

19088 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2337 Signins

57462 Page Views

• Views: 57462
  • Message 5 of 24

2019-09-18, 13:44 PM

Hi.

Thanks everyone. Reported this and waiting to get some feedback from the team. So sorry for the problem.

Just to make sure we check all the boxes, please make sure Data Saver isn't on.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

5 Posts

09-16-2019

US

9 Signins

122 Page Views

• Views: 122
  • Message 6 of 24

2019-09-18, 15:34 PM

Just to confirm ...

Data saver is not turned on in my case.

Options

47 Posts

12-17-2008

US

140 Signins

1101 Page Views

• Message 7 of 24

2019-09-18, 18:10 PM

@MattForumsMngr, thasnks for looking into this issue.

I do not have Data Saver on.

If there is some hope to get this fixed in manageble time, I'd rather keep the phone - it is hard to beat deal right now in US...

--
DG
NJ
Options

47 Posts

12-17-2008

US

140 Signins

1101 Page Views

• Message 8 of 24

2019-09-19, 6:04 AM

I spoke with L2 support today. Great experience. I explained what I have tried and tested.

In addition to steps before, I was also able to test SIM card from another US provider while on the call (T-Mobile MVNO MintMobile) - and that worked flawlessly.

He said that issue is being sent to dev team.

Later, I was also able to check one more SIM card - from Ting and that had no issue with tethering either. It all shows that the issue is strictly with AT&T. Let's hope it will be reolved relatively promptly.

--
DG
NJ
Options

19088 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2337 Signins

57462 Page Views

• Views: 57462
  • Message 9 of 24

2019-09-20, 15:15 PM

wrote:

I spoke with L2 support today. Great experience. I explained what I have tried and tested.

In addition to steps before, I was also able to test SIM card from another US provider while on the call (T-Mobile MVNO MintMobile) - and that worked flawlessly.

He said that issue is being sent to dev team.

Later, I was also able to check one more SIM card - from Ting and that had no issue with tethering either. It all shows that the issue is strictly with AT&T. Let's hope it will be reolved relatively promptly.

Hi.

This is all really helpful, thanks.

Would you be able to provide a bug report? It isn't as complex as it looks.

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
2. After the above steps Developer options will be enabled and will show in your Settings menu.
3. Go to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
4. Enable Settings > Developer options > Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings > Developer options > Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
6. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
7. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and share the link to the Bug Report via an email to supportforums@motorola.com, and include a note referring to this post so we know what it refers to.
8. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

Thanks!

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

47 Posts

12-17-2008

US

140 Signins

1101 Page Views

• Message 10 of 24

2019-09-20, 20:11 PM

Hi!

Report sent.

The time of the issue is when bug report was collected; also screenshot is attached.

Thank you for looking into this.

--
DG
NJ
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete