11-20-2019

US

5 Signins

53 Page Views

• Views: 53
  • Message 1 of 7

Help with bricked phone

2019-11-20, 18:12 PM

I believe my phone is broken and I need to return for warranty repair.

I was charging on an airplane and I tried chopping to turn on the flashlight and it didn't work.  I though that was strange so I disconnected my phone from the power and reset it.

It will not go past the boot screen now.  I tried holding down power + volume down and it enters the other screen, and I tried scrolling down to enter recovery mode, but when I hit the power button on that selection it goes to the boot screen and stays there again.

If I try to plug it in, it no longer even respods to pressing and holding the power button + volume down anymore, I have to unplug it for it to respond.

I have tried charging it from the wall, and I only use the motorola provided cord and block.

The phone, even after being plugged in and charging (the motorola symbol on the back lights up when plugged in), does not actually charge.

When I enter to the other screen it shows 0% warning.

What can I do?  I live in the US but this phone was purchased in the UK, so US motorola support will not help me.  I'm worried I will have to mail my phone to the UK for repairs, and their live-chat is not active during the same waking hours as the US so I am using my backup phone, but this really sucks...

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Options

1711 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1613 Signins

25203 Page Views

• Views: 25203
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Help with bricked phone

2019-11-21, 9:11 AM

wrote:

I believe my phone is broken and I need to return for warranty repair.

I was charging on an airplane and I tried chopping to turn on the flashlight and it didn't work.  I though that was strange so I disconnected my phone from the power and reset it.

It will not go past the boot screen now.  I tried holding down power + volume down and it enters the other screen, and I tried scrolling down to enter recovery mode, but when I hit the power button on that selection it goes to the boot screen and stays there again.

If I try to plug it in, it no longer even respods to pressing and holding the power button + volume down anymore, I have to unplug it for it to respond.

I have tried charging it from the wall, and I only use the motorola provided cord and block.

The phone, even after being plugged in and charging (the motorola symbol on the back lights up when plugged in), does not actually charge.

When I enter to the other screen it shows 0% warning.

What can I do?  I live in the US but this phone was purchased in the UK, so US motorola support will not help me.  I'm worried I will have to mail my phone to the UK for repairs, and their live-chat is not active during the same waking hours as the US so I am using my backup phone, but this really sucks...

Any thoughts or suggestions?

When you tried to get into Recovery mode did you see a Dead Android Robot?

Options

4 Posts

11-20-2019

US

5 Signins

53 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2019-11-21, 14:22 PM

When I tried to go into recovery mode the dead android guy didn't show up, it unfortunately went into the boot screen.

I used the down arrow to select Recover Mode, and then pressed the power button once to select it, and then it showed the boot screen and stopped.

Options

1711 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1613 Signins

25203 Page Views

• Views: 25203
  • Message 4 of 7

2019-11-21, 15:25 PM

wrote:

When I tried to go into recovery mode the dead android guy didn't show up, it unfortunately went into the boot screen.

I used the down arrow to select Recover Mode, and then pressed the power button once to select it, and then it showed the boot screen and stopped.

That's not good.See if Lenovo's Smart assistanct can help,

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht117028

Options

4 Posts

11-20-2019

US

5 Signins

53 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2019-11-22, 2:45 AM

I wish I had gotten your advice yesterday.  My phone won't even power on to the boot screen - it's absolutely drained now.  Plugging it in makes the motorola symbol glow, but I don't think it really powers the phone anymore.

Options

17938 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2251 Signins

54027 Page Views

• Views: 54027
  • Message 6 of 7

2019-11-22, 13:52 PM

wrote:

I wish I had gotten your advice yesterday.  My phone won't even power on to the boot screen - it's absolutely drained now.  Plugging it in makes the motorola symbol glow, but I don't think it really powers the phone anymore.

I would leave it on the charger and let it sit for a bit. You can also try holding down Power+Volume Down when it's plugged in. Do that for 10-15 seconds to see if it responds. 

One other thing that I've found useful is to plug the phone into a PC. That can sometimes wake a phone that is stubbornly asleep.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

4 Posts

11-20-2019

US

5 Signins

53 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2019-11-22, 21:28 PM

Thanks Matt!

For some reason (when it still had a little power and was stuck at the boot screen, or when it was in the bootloader screen) plugging it into any source froze the volume button from functioning anymore up and down.  By unplugging it, it would unfreeze the power button.

I tried the wall charger, a PC, as well as my portable charger, with 2 cords that I use.  Same response - motorola symbol glows, but battery does not actually charge.  I let it sit for a couple hours on each - it gets slightly warm towards the bottom of the phone, but I don't beleive it actually charges the phone (or if it is charging the phone, the phone does not know that it is being charged and thinks it is dead).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save