Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
captainkirkw
Punch Card
Views: 261
Message 1 of 6

No individual text message notification sound

I don't see an option to set a specific sound for Messages. I could do this on my Moto X4 and pretty much all of my past phones so why am I not being able to set one now? It is annoying to get the same notification sound for everything that happens.

I'm going to put my SIM card back in the last two phones I was using, my Moto X4 and Galaxy S10e and see if they are still doing it in case there was an update to the stock Andoid messaging app but it seems odd that it just started with the Zoom and silly if you cannot have individual sounds for Messages versus other notifications. 

Maybe I am just missing something and I hope I am, so please let me know if that is the case.

Thanks,

Kirk

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 223
Message 2 of 6

Re: No individual text message notification sound

@captainkirkw wrote:

I don't see an option to set a specific sound for Messages. I could do this on my Moto X4 and pretty much all of my past phones so why am I not being able to set one now? It is annoying to get the same notification sound for everything that happens.

I'm going to put my SIM card back in the last two phones I was using, my Moto X4 and Galaxy S10e and see if they are still doing it in case there was an update to the stock Andoid messaging app but it seems odd that it just started with the Zoom and silly if you cannot have individual sounds for Messages versus other notifications. 

Maybe I am just missing something and I hope I am, so please let me know if that is the case.

Thanks,

Kirk

It's not you. It's gotten stupidly complicated in a way that is likely to lead you in circles.

The key is to touch the text that says "Default" in the setting, not the checkbox. 

Go into Settings on the Messenger app and follow the blue arrows...

SMS Ringtones.png

Hope this helps.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
captainkirkw
Punch Card
Views: 206
Message 3 of 6

Thank you Matt but the problem is that my Messages app does not look exactly the same. For example, I do not have the "Default" option. Let me show you what I see when I follow the same steps and I have included the version info as well.

Messages 01.pngMessages 02.pngMessages 03.png

Messages 04.png

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 198
Message 4 of 6

@captainkirkw wrote:

Thank you Matt but the problem is that my Messages app does not look exactly the same. For example, I do not have the "Default" option. Let me show you what I see when I follow the same steps and I have included the version info as well.

Messages 01.pngMessages 02.pngMessages 03.png

Messages 04.png

Hi.

Have you tried tapping the text, not the checkbox, next to those options? I think they will open to show you selection options.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
captainkirkw
Punch Card
Views: 179
Message 5 of 6

Thanks, that did it but oddly enough, not the first time I tried. Rebooted the phone this evening and gave it another go and finally got the audio options screen to pop up.

Balrighty
Punch Card
Views: 131
Message 6 of 6

The thing I don't like is the "conversations" section. If you happen to check any of the settings of a specific person in your contact list, you now have to manually change their ringtone if you ever change your default ringtone, because theirs won't change since it now has a different option in the Messages notification settings.
Top Kudoed Authors