12-30-2013

US

38 Signins

482 Page Views

• Views: 482
  • Message 1 of 11

No individual text message notification sound

2019-10-31, 20:24 PM

I don't see an option to set a specific sound for Messages. I could do this on my Moto X4 and pretty much all of my past phones so why am I not being able to set one now? It is annoying to get the same notification sound for everything that happens.

I'm going to put my SIM card back in the last two phones I was using, my Moto X4 and Galaxy S10e and see if they are still doing it in case there was an update to the stock Andoid messaging app but it seems odd that it just started with the Zoom and silly if you cannot have individual sounds for Messages versus other notifications. 

Maybe I am just missing something and I hope I am, so please let me know if that is the case.

Thanks,

Kirk

Solved! See the solution
Options

19244 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2365 Signins

58392 Page Views

• Views: 58392
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: No individual text message notification sound

2019-11-01, 14:09 PM

wrote:

I don't see an option to set a specific sound for Messages. I could do this on my Moto X4 and pretty much all of my past phones so why am I not being able to set one now? It is annoying to get the same notification sound for everything that happens.

I'm going to put my SIM card back in the last two phones I was using, my Moto X4 and Galaxy S10e and see if they are still doing it in case there was an update to the stock Andoid messaging app but it seems odd that it just started with the Zoom and silly if you cannot have individual sounds for Messages versus other notifications. 

Maybe I am just missing something and I hope I am, so please let me know if that is the case.

Thanks,

Kirk

It's not you. It's gotten stupidly complicated in a way that is likely to lead you in circles.

The key is to touch the text that says "Default" in the setting, not the checkbox. 

Go into Settings on the Messenger app and follow the blue arrows...

Hope this helps.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

24 Posts

12-30-2013

US

38 Signins

482 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2019-11-01, 16:11 PM

Thank you Matt but the problem is that my Messages app does not look exactly the same. For example, I do not have the "Default" option. Let me show you what I see when I follow the same steps and I have included the version info as well.

Options

19244 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2365 Signins

58392 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2019-11-01, 19:25 PM

wrote:

Thank you Matt but the problem is that my Messages app does not look exactly the same. For example, I do not have the "Default" option. Let me show you what I see when I follow the same steps and I have included the version info as well.

Hi.

Have you tried tapping the text, not the checkbox, next to those options? I think they will open to show you selection options.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

24 Posts

12-30-2013

US

38 Signins

482 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2019-11-02, 3:22 AM

Thanks, that did it but oddly enough, not the first time I tried. Rebooted the phone this evening and gave it another go and finally got the audio options screen to pop up.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

133 Posts

10-14-2019

US

236 Signins

1614 Page Views

• Views: 1614
  • Message 6 of 11

2019-11-04, 0:10 AM
The thing I don't like is the "conversations" section. If you happen to check any of the settings of a specific person in your contact list, you now have to manually change their ringtone if you ever change your default ringtone, because theirs won't change since it now has a different option in the Messages notification settings.
Options

1 Posts

11-22-2019

AU

1 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 7 of 11

2019-11-22, 1:58 AM
Mate thanks a million I've been going around in circles for days (even trying to find a solution online)!! You're a legend I get sound now!!! ???
Options

19244 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2365 Signins

58392 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2019-11-22, 13:54 PM

wrote:
The thing I don't like is the "conversations" section. If you happen to check any of the settings of a specific person in your contact list, you now have to manually change their ringtone if you ever change your default ringtone, because theirs won't change since it now has a different option in the Messages notification settings.

Not sure I follow, but how do you think it should work?

- Matt

Options

133 Posts

10-14-2019

US

236 Signins

1614 Page Views

• Views: 1614
  • Message 9 of 11

2019-11-23, 11:33 AM

Well, if I look at the settings but don't change any of them, it shouldn't then assume I've placed that user with custom notification settings when I haven't.

It places them as a custom notification when you only LOOK at the notification settings for that contact, regardless of if you actually changed anything.

So now when you alter the default notification for all contacts, it will not change that user's setting. That user's "Default Notification Sound" changes to the exact option you picked as your default notification sound.  So if it was set to "Hello" ringtone in my default notification settings, it now says "Hello" under that contact. So whatever your default notification was for that contact, it now just shows that specific sound instead of "Default Notification Sound".

It's very frustrating.  The contacts show up as a "conversation" in the notification settings for the messages app, by merely looking at the notification settings for that contact.

Options

2 Posts

12-05-2019

US

1 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 10 of 11

2019-12-05, 21:18 PM

I use  the"Verizon Messages" app for my text messages, and my G6 won't play a sound when I recieve a new text. I see the notification at the top of the screen, I get the dot on the app, but NO SOUND. The phone is not on "Do not disturb." In Android Settings >Sound>Advanced I have selected a Defalt notification sound (chirp). In the Messages App settings, "show notifications" is turned ON, and new messages notifications is set to "make a sound and pop up on screen."  I've updated the app. (This has happened before, and seems to have fixed itslef when I changed the sound to chirp.)  I get OTHER notification sounds, just not texts.   

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete