Options

72 Posts

10-14-2019

US

171 Signins

1044 Page Views

• Views: 1044
  • Message 1 of 16

No option for "App Provided sounds" for some apps.

2019-11-11, 2:55 AM

For some reason, certain apps are defaulting to my Default Notification Sound that I've set instead of using their app provided sounds.

Facebook Messenger seems to work fine for calls, for instance, showing the Sound in notifications as "App Provided Sound" but for default messages it uses "Default Notification Sound", but its my default notications and not facebook's.

Is there not a way to force it to use the app provided sound? There is no option to select "App provided sound"..  It's doing this with a few apps, including Snapchat. 

Resetting all the app settings or reinstalling apps entirely does not seem to fix this issue.  We need an option in the ringtone/sound selector to just select "App Provided Sound"..

Options

1711 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1612 Signins

25203 Page Views

• Views: 25203
  • Message 2 of 16

Re: No option for "App Provided sounds" for some apps.

2019-11-11, 10:18 AM

Sometimes a ,"Soft Reboot" can fix these things.Press and hold the Power but until the phone restarts.This emulates taking the Battery out and can clear clogged Ram.

HTH :)

Options

72 Posts

10-14-2019

US

171 Signins

1044 Page Views

• Message 3 of 16

2019-11-11, 23:09 PM
This doesn't have anything to do with my settings, and doesn't work, as I've already rebooted my phone today.
Options

17932 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2249 Signins

54007 Page Views

• Views: 54007
  • Message 4 of 16

2019-11-13, 14:34 PM

wrote:

For some reason, certain apps are defaulting to my Default Notification Sound that I've set instead of using their app provided sounds.

Facebook Messenger seems to work fine for calls, for instance, showing the Sound in notifications as "App Provided Sound" but for default messages it uses "Default Notification Sound", but its my default notications and not facebook's.

Is there not a way to force it to use the app provided sound? There is no option to select "App provided sound"..  It's doing this with a few apps, including Snapchat. 

Resetting all the app settings or reinstalling apps entirely does not seem to fix this issue.  We need an option in the ringtone/sound selector to just select "App Provided Sound"..

Hi.

This is still a little confusing. Could you possibly make a short video showing the issue? Or provide really specific instructions on how to reproduce this? For example, which Facebook "default messages" are not using the sound you expect?

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

72 Posts

10-14-2019

US

171 Signins

1044 Page Views

• Message 5 of 16

2019-11-14, 1:25 AM

This is still a little confusing. Could you possibly make a short video showing the issue? Or provide really specific instructions on how to reproduce this? For example, which Facebook "default messages" are not using the sound you expect?

- Matt

Hi @MattForumsMngr

Some apps just say "Default notification sound" as you can see below.  But that means it'll use my phone's default sound instead of the app's default sound.. so all my apps sound the same instead of using their own sounds.

Then there's apps that show "App provided sound" in the notification sound setting, and it uses the app's proper sounds. But most of my apps seem to just wanna use "Default Notification Sounds" instead of their own sound.  This has only become an issue using this phone, my old phone worked fine and would use app provided sound until I changed it.

So I'd like the ability to make apps that provide their own sounds to use them by default..

Same issue with snapchat, which has many sounds it's supposed to provide on its own, but each sound just sounds like my device's default notification..

Basically, we need the option to set the Sound option to "App provided sound" because some apps don't seem to have that option, even though they have default sounds they provide.

Options

72 Posts

10-14-2019

US

171 Signins

1044 Page Views

• Message 6 of 16

2019-11-18, 2:20 AM
I dunno how to ping you, Matt.. is there no further info about resolving my issue?
Options

17932 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2249 Signins

54007 Page Views

• Message 7 of 16

2019-11-18, 19:53 PM

wrote:
I dunno how to ping you, Matt.. is there no further info about resolving my issue?

Sorry - I was under the weather last week and not real active here. 

Can you guide me to these menus you are showing above? How do you access them? Sorry to be so dumb...

Also, what happens if you touch where it says "App provided sound" or "Default notification sound?" Does it open a menu where you can change the sound?

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

72 Posts

10-14-2019

US

171 Signins

1044 Page Views

• Message 8 of 16

2019-11-19, 6:00 AM

Just hold any application icon until a menu pops up, then go to the info icon and it takes you to "App Info", then select Notifications. Tap a notification you want to change and it'll take you to the area seen in the screenshots.

When you press "App provided sound" or "Default Notification Sound" it opens up to let you change the sound, yes. The issue is, by default, it seems to use the default notification sound for my phone, but it's only supposed to do that if the app doesn't provide a sound itself for notifications. If it has its own sounds, its supposed to use "App provided sound".. but that's not even an option in some apps, even though those apps have their own sounds.

So when you press on ones that say "Default Notification Sound", there is no option to change it to the App Provided Sound.. just the phone's ringtone sounds or the default phone sound.  And for ones that do say "App provided sound", if you change it to a custom sound, you can no longer change it back to "App provided sound" later.. so really, two issues.

Options

17932 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2249 Signins

54007 Page Views

• Message 9 of 16

2019-11-19, 17:02 PM

wrote:

Just hold any application icon until a menu pops up, then go to the info icon and it takes you to "App Info", then select Notifications. Tap a notification you want to change and it'll take you to the area seen in the screenshots.

When you press "App provided sound" or "Default Notification Sound" it opens up to let you change the sound, yes. The issue is, by default, it seems to use the default notification sound for my phone, but it's only supposed to do that if the app doesn't provide a sound itself for notifications. If it has its own sounds, its supposed to use "App provided sound".. but that's not even an option in some apps, even though those apps have their own sounds.

So when you press on ones that say "Default Notification Sound", there is no option to change it to the App Provided Sound.. just the phone's ringtone sounds or the default phone sound.  And for ones that do say "App provided sound", if you change it to a custom sound, you can no longer change it back to "App provided sound" later.. so really, two issues.

Hmm. I still don't see that screen. I can't find any screen called "Notification category" if I search for it, on any of my phones.

If I hold down my Messenger app, for example, and go to App Info...

• I click on Notifications, I get the Settings screen for Messenger
  • From there I can go to Advanced > Additional settings in the app
  • This opens a Notifications & Sounds screen
  • On that screen, Notification sound says "Messenger" and if I touch that I get a large selection of sounds to choose from
  • On that same screen I also see the Ringtone set to "Messenger" and I can also select and change that

Something is different on yours. I don't see anything unusual in your check-in data so I really don't have a clue here.

- Matt

Options

72 Posts

10-14-2019

US

171 Signins

1044 Page Views

• Message 10 of 16

2019-11-20, 4:58 AM

Should clarify, I use messenger lite.  I don't get "System default" as an option though, just Default Notification Sound, and there is no "Additional settings in the app" option.

So I selected to pick specific types of notifications and these were their default sound settings.  However, "Default" is supposed to use the sound from facebook messenger, but it doesn't.  It uses the Default Notification Sound set by the phone.  The other option for calls like incoming calls, seems to use a default option called "App provided sound" and it uses the actual sound from the app.

I want the default option to use the app provided sound, but there is no option to when pressing it.  And there is no "Messenger" option on the list.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save