Japan

530 Signins

1531 Page Views

• Views: 1531
  • Message 1 of 107

Quadro FX 3700M on my W700 dead?

2013-02-22, 19:00 PM

Hi all. Need a little help in here.

Never had an issue with the Quadro since I bought the W700 back in 2008. I've stressed it with Maya, Premiere, After Effects and some gaming pretty much everyday and a few days back while watching a movie, the image froze so I had to restart the movie. It did it like 5 or 6 times. I thought it was the movies fault but realized there was a pop up message at the bottom right side of the screen the last few times the movie froze saying something about the driver (couldn't been found or something like that) with a red cross icon at the beginning of the message.

The next day, I was watching a video on youtube and the screen went black. The weird thing is the computer continues working. I can start the OS, I hear the welcome sound, the screen turns on (I can see light coming out from it) but the image is black. There's no image at all, from the Lenovo welcome screen to the bios to the OS itself. Tried to output the image through the DVI to an external monitor (pressed the Microsoft icon + P several times) but that didn't do anything. I can hear the fans working and I even opened the back of the W700 to see if there was something loose or burned. Nothing suspicious. The fan area is clean as I'm aware of the danger of keeping it dirty. I even unplugged the Quadro and put it back on a few times... nothing changed. Swapped the main HDD with an extra I have just in case there was something wrong with the drivers, nothing.

I thought if the videocard is broken, the OS would not even load. Am I missing something? I'm thinking about buying a second hand Quadro FX 3700M off eBay for around $200 but I wonder if this will make any difference. I believe it's from a HP workstation but it should work fine on the Lenovo, correct? Back in the day, there were rumors saying the videocards based on the G92 (among others) were prone to fail. Have you guys noticed any unusual failure rate on the Quadro FX 3700M?

I'm running Windows 7 64bits, 8 Gigs of RAM, SSD Intel M20 80GB + Hitachi 750GB...

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Options

20986 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 2 of 107

Re: Quadro FX 3700M on my W700 dead?

2013-02-22, 20:16 PM
this also happens a lot with my W701ds FX3800.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

69 Posts

09-04-2008

Japan

530 Signins

1531 Page Views

• Message 3 of 107

2013-02-22, 22:18 PM

Hi Jin. What do you mean with "it happens a lot"? Could you elaborate? In my case, the black screen won't change no matter what I do, and I tried anything I could think of, leaving me to think there's something wrong with the Quadro. There's just one thing that doesn't make any sense to me and that is the OS loads just fine. If the Quadro was fried, wouldn't I get some kind of a bip sound when trying to load Windows? Similar as to when there's no RAM?

Options

323 Posts

10-26-2008

Los Angeles

539 Signins

7524 Page Views

• Views: 7524
  • Message 4 of 107

2013-02-22, 22:35 PM

wrote:

I was watching a video on youtube and the screen went black... I can start the OS, I hear the welcome sound, the screen turns on (I can see light coming out from it) but the image is black. There's no image at all, from the Lenovo welcome screen to the bios to the OS itself. Tried to output the image through the DVI to an external monitor (pressed the Microsoft icon + P several times) but that didn't do anything. I can hear the fans working and I even opened the back of the W700 to see if there was something loose or burned. Nothing... The fan area is clean as I'm aware of the danger of keeping it dirty. I even unplugged the Quadro and put it back on a few times... nothing changed. Swapped the main HDD with an extra I have just in case there was something wrong with the drivers, nothing.

Sorry to hear that Pepe. I ran into one of your old messages the other day and was wondering whether you were still using that machine.

My W700 has always had trouble recognizing external displays, but if you've had the Windows-logo-key+P work for you reliably in the past on that machine with external DVI displays, then it sounds like you've done a good job of isolating the failure to the video card.

The most common failures that I've seen in the W700, from other users' reports, are failure of the video card due to overheating, caused by the air intake vents on the bottom of the laptop becoming clogged with dust (which is almost impossible to see, unless you shine a flashlight into them), failure of the inverter for the backlight, and failure of the backlight itself. Normally on the W700, unless the GPU is working hard at something or driving two displays, the plastic panel on the right, between the keyboard and display hinge, should be cool to the touch (the W701 has a significantly higher TDP for the GPU, so may run hotter). It sounds like you've kept the cooling system clean. So overheating may not have been the cause, since video card failure from that is usually preceded by one or more events of instant thermal shutdown of the machine while playing videos. Unrelated to these failures, you'll also see gradual dimming of the backlight's brightness over time, and a gradual increase of color cast before calibration, both of which are due to normal aging of the fluorescent backlight. Unlike the W500, there's no integrated graphics in the W700, so you can't switch to that as a test of the video card. Whether the OS balks at failure of the video card probably depends on precisely how the video card has failed.

From other users' reports, either an HP or Lenovo video card should work in the machine, but no other video cards will work. My understanding is that the HP card has better availability. And you have to use a 2700M/3700M, not a 2800M/3800M (and you CAN switch from a 3700M to 2700M). One warning: DON'T be tempted to turn on the machine with the new GPU before you've pasted it and mounted its heatsink! I know the W701xx always seemed to have video driver problems but, lead_org, if you're seeing failures similar to Pepe's on your W701xx on a regular basis (presumably Pepe's failure is permanent), then there's something seriously wrong with your machine!

My W700 is still chugging along fine with no problems, and I make a point of keeping the air intake vents and heatsink fins clean. It's getting less use due to a 3D M17x R4. And external Dreamcolor. And a Nikon D800 as well -- I just brought back 500GB of imagery from Puerto Rico a few weeks ago that I'm still going through, but the W700 struggles with my processing of the larger D800 images. You'd like the D800, even if you're a Canon fan. ;-)

Take care, Pepe, and good luck with the resurrection!

Jimbo

The ThinkPad W700 Resources Page

Options

69 Posts

09-04-2008

Japan

530 Signins

1531 Page Views

• Message 5 of 107

2013-02-23, 10:19 AM

Wow Jimbo! The guru of the W700 itself :smileywink: Good to see you are still around, man! As always, very informative and precise info. I guess there's no way for me to know for sure if the problem I'm having is entirely due to the Quadro. The weird message about the driver not being recognized while watching a youtube video still puzzles me. It showed up a few times and then the black screen came up. As you suggested, maybe something minor broke on the card and that's why the OS still loads fine but I don't get any image. The only way for me to be 100% sure is to get a second hand Quadro and swap it.

A last gen Alienware laptop is a pretty good reason to park aside your old W700, that's for sure. I use a Canon 5D mrkII and the W700 can handle the files with ease. Also Premiere runs the footage in full HD in real time thanks to the Mercury setting. The Quadro 2700M is way cheaper and also a possibility as you mentioned but I need a card with at least 1GB of RAM due to Mercury's requierements. Also the extra power of the 3700M doesn't hurt while in Maya or gaming.

I'll report back once I manage to get a hold of another card. Thanks again!

Options

323 Posts

10-26-2008

Los Angeles

539 Signins

7524 Page Views

• Message 6 of 107

2013-02-23, 14:43 PM

I'm not sure how the "missing driver" message fits into all this, but let's assume that it IS related for the moment (it's certainly a big coincidence). FWIW, is the following the message you were getting?

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

Anyway, if the current problem is due simply to a missing driver, then when you swapped in your older system drive, that should have restored the laptop's state to working as it had in the past (unless you had since changed a BIOS setting).

So, if you haven't changed any BIOS settings, then presumably it's a hardware problem. That could include a failure of the CMOS memory to save your BIOS settings (or the settings could be scrambled), which could be related to the CMOS battery. You could go through the electrostatic discharge procedure as well.

So let's say you've ruled that stuff out, and let's assume the BIOS settings weren't changed, and CMOS is intact. Then the only pertinent hardware problem I think of is the video card. I suppose if you have a remote diagnostics program installed, or installed a telnet server on the machine, you might be able to access the machine from the network and try to deduce what's going on. Or maybe you could boot to a linux cd that has something like that installed. That's a possibility. But let's move on beyond that.

So could a video card failure cause a driver missing message? I suppose a video card firmware failure (manifesting after boot has completed) could cause the video card not to be recognized as the Quadro card, in which case the laptop would try to use a generic video driver for it. Whether the display would remain functioning so that it would still be able to display error messages, I don't know. If the card continued to degrade, then you could end up with the current state of affairs. I really don't know.

That's everything that immediately comes to mind with regards to the missing driver message. If it's a video card failure, then a swap should fix it. If it's the card, then from what I've seen, you just remove the old one, put in the new one (w/paste & heatsink), and that's all you need to do, with no firmware flashing or new drivers or anything like that needed, even if it's the HP card. It'll be interesting to see how it all works out, which will hopefully end in success.

Options

69 Posts

09-04-2008

Japan

530 Signins

1531 Page Views

• Message 7 of 107

2013-02-24, 11:11 AM

Pretty much everything you wrote, it came to mind when facing the problem the W700 is giving me. Good you pointed out the info about the BIOS as I didn't mentioned before. I didn't change any settings (probably the last time I did change something was more than a year ago) and for what is worth, I didn't install any new major program, other than mame a month ago or so. If the CMOS battery or BIOS would have changed or died, I assume the OS would not load and if it did, it would have load a generic driver for the video card as you said.

Has for the "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" message, I don't think it came up. It was just a couple of short pop up messages from the clock area. That's why I swaped the HDDs to see if the driver issue had something to do with it. The card breaking internally avoiding the OS from detecting it properly might be possible but I wonder if that is even possible as the OS would no even load, right?

I also thought about accesing the W700 remotely but I don't have a remote diagnostics program installed or any other way to access the OS other than tha share folders that Windows sets by default and that won't help me to diagnose anything regarding the videocard problem, I'm afraid.

Thanks for taking the time to give all shorts of ideas and don't worry, I won't forget to apply thermal paste when replacing the heatsink :smileywink: Hopefully in a couple of weeks I can report good news. Cheers mate!

Options

69 Posts

09-04-2008

Japan

530 Signins

1531 Page Views

• Message 8 of 107

2013-03-04, 19:50 PM

The second hand Quadro FX 3700M just arrived today and as I feared, after swapping it with the old one and applying some thermal paste, I turned the computer on and all I got was a long beep followed by two short beeps. The screen didn't even light up. I wasn't sure what it meant but for testing purposes I decided to remove the Quadro and try to turn on the computer again without any video card on it. Got the same error beeps from before. To make sure this was not coming from something else, I installed the old Quadro and boot up the computer. I could hear the W7 welcome melody and the screen turned on even though I wasn't getting any image. Same results as day 1.

My guess is the video card I received is dead, even more dead than the one I already have :smileylol: Hopefully I can get my money back. I'll try to buy one more Quadro but I have a bad felling about this as most of eBay sellers don't even test these cards they are selling even though they state otherwise in the description. I fear most G92 based Quadros are fried by now.. Charlie Demerjian was right after all.

Options

323 Posts

10-26-2008

Los Angeles

539 Signins

7524 Page Views

• Message 9 of 107

2013-03-04, 22:53 PM

Sorry to hear that, Pepe. It's hard to know what you're getting on ebay sometimes. Hopefully the second time will be the charm.

It's a challenging machine to replace, if you come to that. On the bright side, some very fast machines are available. Unfortunately, if you need Quadro, the K5000M is going for ~$1600 more than the Geforce GTX 680M (which is the same hardware, but without OpenGL support in the driver, and is about 25% faster in gaming, but about 15% as fast in Maya). Then there's the K4000M, K3000M (about $200 more than 680M), and K2000M (roughly same gaming performance as 3700M, roughly 1/3 of 680M). And there's the 680M in SLI, but not the K5000M to my knowledge (who could afford it?):

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

(uncheck "Still available (not archived)" to see 3700M, click on the "3DMark11 P GPU" column to sort processors roughly in order of decreasing performance, although older GPUs such as the 3700M don't have this benchmark listed)

Then there are the faster desktop namesakes. And ATI if you like to torture yourself. ;-)

Anyway, best of luck with the GPU!

Options

10 Posts

03-05-2013

Bradenton, FL

31 Signins

168 Page Views

• Views: 168
  • Message 10 of 107

2013-03-05, 4:41 AM

Had to replace the Fx3700m in my W700 too.

Started out by getting irregular BSOD's on the nvidia driver. Then it would happen all the time. Suddenly there was distortion on the 'Thinkpad' startup screen. Windows would come up and only load the standard VGA driver. The Nvidia card was no longer recognized. (at least the computer was still working and the BSOD's stopped).

Got a replacement Fx3700m online (HP part). First time after install the computer just bleeped and would not boot! I was afraid I just spend $ on a non-working part. But then I started the computer again (not changing anything) and it came up normal. Has been working good ever since... Keeping my fingers crossed and trying to make sure the vents for the fans are not blocked (either by dust or by setting the laptop on a soft surface like a bed comforter).

Options

323 Posts

10-26-2008

Los Angeles

539 Signins

7524 Page Views

• Message 11 of 107

2013-03-05, 6:31 AM

Very interesting ElbertR. So you had driver issues with the card before failure, and Pepe had driver issues with the card before failure. And your W700 kept running after the 3700M failed. And Pepe's W700 has continued running after his 3700M apparently failed.

And you received diagnostic beeps immediately after installing a replacement HP 3700M, and Pepe received diagnostic beeps immediately after installing a replacement 3700M.

But your machine worked properly after trying repeated reboots with the replacement 3700M. Very interesting.

Pepe, I hate to ask, now that you've taken out the replacment 3700M, but did you happen to try repeated reboots with your replacement 3700M?

Options

69 Posts

09-04-2008

Japan

530 Signins

1531 Page Views

• Message 12 of 107

2013-03-05, 9:58 AM

Thanks ElbertR for chiming in and telling us your experience swapping the Quadro on your W700. In my case, I didn't get any BSOD or distortion on the image before the video card gave up. Just those messages about the driver not being recognize by Windows in the middle of a youtube viewing and while watching a mkv. Very strange that the second time you turned on your PC, the Quadro was finally recognized and worked. As Jimbo suggested, I did boot up the computer at least 5 times, even changing the HDD with another one I have for backups (has W7) and the beeps kept coming. Actually, I tried the second hand video card before and after testing my original Quadro, always with the results I already described.

Also thanks to Jimbo as usual. I love notebookcheck.net for both videocard and CPU comparisons. I'll end up buying a new notebook, that's for sure but I rather wait until Nvidia releases the mobile version of the Titan. Quadros are overpriced for not real reason. I've followed the hacking of GeForce and Radeon cards since the early days. when the conversion to Quadros and FireGLs started. I manage a few conversions myself. The only reason I ended up with a Quadro was because the W700 I wanted didn't offer a GeForce. Even at most studios I worked at, don't use Quadros for their machines and we never had problems with Maya, 3D Max, XSI, etc. Sorry for the OT.

Just for the heck of it, I took a comparison pictures of both Quadros (mine is on the left). I'm not sure if it means something but certain parts have a blue dot drawn on top. I wonder if a repair job was done on the Quadro I received. Also note the different bios number, mine being newer.

Link to Picture

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Options

323 Posts

10-26-2008

Los Angeles

539 Signins

7524 Page Views

• Message 13 of 107

2013-03-05, 13:51 PM

Pepe, I converted your pairs of images into color stereo red-cyan anaglyphs, sending the W700 card image to the left eye, and the ebay card image to the right eye. That's so that I could blow them up really large and see the differences, which immediately show up as shimmering within the visual field.

I think you're right about the blue pen/magic-marker dots. If you look closely at the packages marked with blue dots, the solder is more disorganized and uneven. I think those items (packages) have been replaced. Either that or someone had TRIED to replace them and failed to get them off the card. Also, if you look at the bottom edge of those two images, the W700 card is rev. A02, whereas the ebay card is rev. A00. I wouldn't be surprised if the ebay card is an engineering sample that's been reworked. Heaven knows where they got that from, perhaps factory discards. Please don't mention the seller here.

I've seen that before. For example, when the Intel 5350 wifi card, which had WiMAX, went out of production, ebay became flooded with engineering samples in which the WiMAX didn't work. The cards worked as normal wifi cards, but WiMAX uses a certificate-based scheme to authenticate service subscribers, and all of the certificates for the engineering samples had expired, and thus couldn't be used by subscribers. Some sellers/distributors had actually re-labeled (poorly) those cards before distributing them, because the original labels said "engineering sample -- not for resale." I'm sure that some of the sellers didn't even know they were relabeled. I had an authentic production card, from Toshiba as I recall, and from what I could tell from looking at the printed card labels in ebay listings at that time, virtually all the 5350 cards being offered were fakes -- they were relabled engineering samples. It was a total mess.

So if 3700M's are in short supply, it wouldn't surprise me if items like that surface on ebay. And if it is an engineering sample, then who knows whether it's compatible with the W700 even if it's a working card, given HP/Lenovo's pariticularness about various cards. You should probably look at the rev. number of the card from the photo in the listing, before buying. If it's A00, you may want to stay away.

And there are a LOT of layout/component differences between those two cards, which may not be readily apparent by just viewing the photos as you've laid them out. But the differences hit you in the face when viewing the photos in anaglyph form.

One other difference that I notice, if you look closely at the soldered points inside the white band that delineates the chip package, is that the solder on the right side of the ebay card looks more blob-like vs. your card, in which the solder is very crisp. It may mean nothing, or it may mean that someone has done some sort of reflow job on the ebay card.

One thing that's interesting about the lower (back) image of the ebay card is that there's some sort of production date sticker that looks like it's been partially torn off, or at least not filled out. Plus it has a totally nonsensical range of dates (the 3700M wasn't even in the womb in 2005). It just doesn't fit. So perhaps that's a partial give-away when looking at ebay listings.

Also, the ebay card says it was made in USA, vs. the W700 card which says made in China. I would think a pre-production card is more likely to have been made in the USA, since they probably had to be closer to the production facility during pre-production. So that may be another tip-off of a pre-production card.

The made in USA/CHINA mark also each have a number next to them, which is a much lower number for the USA-made card, another potential tip-off.

And, like you say, the ebay card is an earlier bios version, bios version being another potential tip-off.

If you look in the upper left area of the rear of the W700 card, there's what looks like a white stamped string T03. I don't know if that's an inspection mark or what, but if you look in the same area of the ebay card, there's instead something hand-written by a black magic marker. I'd swear that, if you tilt your head sideways to the left, it reads as "1-7-7". If that means January 7th, 2007, then it is a clear indication of a pre-production card, and THAT, along with the rev. A00 may get your money back. In any case, a hand-written annotation is seemingly another tip-off, since you're probably less likely to find that in a real production unit.

So, together, these may represent a constellation of features that may help you to distinguish a legit card from one that smells fishy.

Anyway, interesting stuff. I hope the luck of the draw is better next time with your ebay GPUs, if there is a next time.

Excellent photos, BTW.

Options

69 Posts

09-04-2008

Japan

530 Signins

1531 Page Views

• Message 14 of 107

2013-03-05, 22:18 PM

Wow Jimbo! You didn't need to turn yourself into CSI mode but appreciate your effort on writing down all the differences between both cards. Next time I'll upload an HDR 32-bit floating point image for your pleasure :smileywink:

I could see a few layout changes from one to another, the Rev number and bios jump but not the soldering part. Good eye! You might be right when saying there's some reflow job done on those areas. I must make clear that the sticker you mentioned that looks torn off is my fault. When I added the small metal square needed to screw it to the fan, that metal part had a very strong glue that ended up taking a small part of the sticker away. I hope the seller doesn't complain about that. I was also puzzled about the black marker signs. At first I thought it was Japanese so I asked my wife if she could read it but told me that looked more like numbers :smileylol:

When I saw the "MADE IN USA" writing I was suspicious. I thought all electronics were made in China.

As for the engineer version theory, I'm not sure how many were made for this card but there's one for sale on eBay right now and the differences are much obvious than on the ones I have now but who know, maybe you are right Jimbo.

I'll contact the seller for a refund. I'll update you with whatever happens next.

Options

323 Posts

10-26-2008

Los Angeles

539 Signins

7524 Page Views

• Message 15 of 107

2013-03-06, 12:15 PM

Thanks for your support, folks!

Pepe, your idea to look up engineering samples is a good one. It's interesting to see how many changes that card has gone through. Unfortunately, that ebay photo doesn't have enough resolution to make out any numbers on the board. But I like how the seller has placed that little piece of paper on the card that says "Tested," as if that proves anything.

Based on your idea, I started a google search for engineering samples of the 3700M. Right away I found something interesting:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1469911
"Just like it says in the title, I bought a 9800M GT from ebay for $270 with shipping to replace the broken 9800M GT in my Sager NP9262(Clevo D901C), however upon installing the card I was shown a pre-boot screen saying "nVIDIA, Bios 62.92.3b.00.00 - Engineering Sample Model Not for Production 1024MB", I hit F2 and it showed that I was using a Quadro 3700M in the BIOS page."

So this is someone describing an engineering sample they received of the 3700M -- in fact the card even SAYS it's an engineering sample when the machine boots. Look at the BIOS version. It's LATER than that of the card you bought on ebay!

So the BIOS version of the card you bought on ebay was for engineering sample cards. That BIOS version was even superceded by a later version of the BIOS, which was also for engineering sample cards. It seems pretty clear that you have an engineering sample.

As one of the other contributors to that thread said, "yay ebay!"  :smileyhappy:

In case someone runs across this thread and doesn't understand what I'm talking about, from Wikipedia:

"Engineering samples are the beta versions of integrated circuits that are meant to be used for compatibility qualification or as demonstrators. They are usually loaned to OEM manufacturers prior to the chips commercial release to allow product development or display. Usually, they are picked out of a very large batch and perform correctly. However, rarely they may have faults that were fixed in the production model."

Also, you bought one of the first W700 laptops produced so, assuming your 3700M wasn't replaced up until its recent failure, then you have one of the earliest production 3700M cards to hit the market. So I would be suspicious of ANY card that had ANYTHING on it, whether it's BIOS version, rev. number, etc., that's earlier than on your card.

So even if those things aren't visible in the ebay photos of a card, you might ask the seller what those numbers are as listed on the card. That should help screen out pre-production cards. If you receive the card and find that the seller has lied about those numbers, then you have that lie in the seller's message to you, and that constitutes evidence of fraud.

Options

69 Posts

09-04-2008

Japan

530 Signins

1531 Page Views

• Message 16 of 107

2013-03-06, 23:46 PM

Awesome finding, Jimbo! To tell you the truth, the seller was cool enough to send me an RMA so I can return it but they claim the videocard was tested before the shipping... who know with what.

Right now, my only option is on another eBay posting, this time from Taiwan. According to the picture, the Quadro has a bios 62.92.40.00.00 and Ver. 180-10612-0002-A02 printed on the PCB but they sell more than one so go figure what I will end up getting. I'll try to ask them for a picture of the actual card or there's no deal.

Options

323 Posts

10-26-2008

Los Angeles

539 Signins

7524 Page Views

• Message 17 of 107

2013-03-07, 0:33 AM

At least that card in the picture is rev. A02, so the layout looks like your W700 card.

I did some research, and found that the W700 3700M only seemed to use BIOS 62.92.5c.00.05 (the one that you happen to have) and 62.92.5c.00.07 (the one that I happen to have, Nvidia Control Panel->Help->System Information). The 8370w 3700M only seemed to use 62.92.51.00.05. I couldn't find any other companies that used those BIOS versions, and it's not clear whether other versions will work well, or work at all. So a supposedly-working 3700M with 180-10612-0002-A02 stamped on the front of the card near the edge connector, with one of those BIOS versions on the BIOS sticker, for HP/Lenovo, should be your best bet. YMMV, and proceed at your own risk. Of course, if someone is having problems and their machine is under warranty, then they should get it fixed under warranty.

ElbertR, if you're reading this, could you please go to Nvidia Control Panel->Help->System Information, and tell us what version of the video BIOS you see? Thanks.

Options

69 Posts

09-04-2008

Japan

530 Signins

1531 Page Views

• Message 18 of 107

2013-03-08, 10:36 AM

Great information Jimbo. Does anyone know the reason behind changing the number series to adding a letter on the BIOS? Might be an indicator of changing from an engineering sample to the final version? No word from the Taiwanese seller yet.

I'm still sending emails to the first Quadro seller. I told him that according to both the BIOS and Rev. number found on his Quadro, I was almost certain it was an engineering sample. This is his reply:

"It is not engineering sample,it is engineering releasing version.After you flash its vbios,these words will disappear.It works fine on regular system.We sold lots of these cards,if people find the correct bios and driver, no any issues."

Hilarious to say the least. Where do I begin...

1. Never heard of such term being applied to video cards. "Engineering release or releasing version" gives no links on google other than a couple of links to eBay.
2. Ebay is flooded with them but I'm pretty sure it's illegal to sell "engineering samples", even more so without mentioning this on the item's description.
3. How am I supposed to flash this Quadro's BIOS if the computer doesn't even boot up with the video card installed?! What is the seller referring to when talking about a "regular system"?
4. So the person in charge to make these video cards work is the buyer? In that case, they should sell this cards as broken.

The Quadro is on its way to Santa Clara, by the way.

Options

323 Posts

10-26-2008

Los Angeles

539 Signins

7524 Page Views

• Message 19 of 107

2013-03-08, 14:53 PM

Yeah, scratch that seller off your list. Just as with those WiMAX cards I mentioned, a lot of shenanigans seem to be going on with ebay sellers of the 3700M.

Regarding letters in the BIOS version, the version numbers appear to be in hexadecimal format if that's what you mean.

I think you now have, though, a set of specs to look for that will lead you to a legitimate used card that should work in the W700. Verify the rev. number by looking at the number itself and the configuration of chips to the left of the GPU, which should match your W700 card. The only remaining variable is whether the card is fried or not, and a guarantee/return policy should take care of that.

Good luck! I want to hear that you found a good card, you put it in, and that your W700 works great again!

Options

10 Posts

03-05-2013

Bradenton, FL

31 Signins

168 Page Views

• Views: 168
  • Message 20 of 107

2013-03-10, 20:35 PM

My replacement FX3700m was a HP part (used in HP Elitebook 8730w) with BIOS 62.92.E6.00.10 which is a later BIOS than the original (62.92.5C.00.05)

I swapped the square metal bracket around the video chip from the original one to the replacement because the one that was on there had smaller screw holes in which the screws from the heatsink/fan mount did not fit.

HP SPARE P/N 488125-001

ASSY P/N 460734-001

REPLACE 493984-001

CHIP G92-985-A2

I think the bios had to update itself to the presence of a new card. Once updated, it started right up.

Still running fine, no issues at all.

Options

323 Posts

10-26-2008

Los Angeles

539 Signins

7524 Page Views

• Message 21 of 107

2013-03-11, 6:58 AM

Thanks, ElbertR, are you sure you didn't mistype that, and that the BIOS version you have isn't actually instead 62.92.6E.00.10? I don't see any mention online of the version number that you typed.

I had seen some reports indicating that version 62.92.6E.00.10 was associated with HP. But I couldn't find any HP users who said it shipped with their laptop, and the only two users I could find who tried it on stock 8730w's had problems with it:

http://forum.notebookcomparisonsreviews.in/hp-business-class-notebooks/321602-hp-elitebook-8730w-owners-lounge-71.html
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-HP-ProBook-EliteBook/Quadro-FX3700-on-8730w-bad-power-management/td-p/1160475

But IF 62.92.6E.00.10 IS working well for you, then we should include it in the list of viable card BIOS numbers. The W700 probably had better cooling than the 8730w, plus it had a higher-wattage power supply, making the 3700M work better on the W700 in general. Perhaps that BIOS went into laptops near the end of the product cycle, or perhaps it only existed in HP cards that were replacement parts.

Good tip about the bracket. Also, for anyone out there who contemplates updating their W700's main BIOS, I don't recommend doing so within Windows. Too many things can interrupt the BIOS update within Windows, which can brick the machne, requiring a motherboard replacement. It's safer to burn the ISO CD version of the BIOS update, verify that the contents of the CD are valid, and boot to that to run the update. Update the BIOS only if you absolutely have to.

By the way, ElbertR, do you do anything that stresses the GPU, like playing games, using the GPU for intensive computations, doing a lot of real-time graphics rendering, etc.? Thanks. And please be sure to tell us if you mistyped the BIOS version.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save