07-02-2018

US

8 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 3

Replace motherboard or buy new laptop?

2018-07-25, 21:49 PM
I have a Lenovo T430 with Ubuntu with an Intel i5 processor, but the motherboard is defective and I can't power on my computer.
  • If I buy a used motherboard from ebay where it says in the description "This unit has been tested to successfully power on and boot to the BIOS screen", all I have to do is boot the computer as normal, and then it will enter Ubuntu and I can access all my old data just as before?
  • If the replacement motherboard doesn't include a CPU, then I can just use my previous one on the new motherboard and it'll work fine, right?
  • I saw used motherboards with the same product number on eBay around $30-70. Is it worth it?
  • What about paying $70 or so to the computer shop so they can repair it?
  • If the above aren't worth it, then how can I transfer my data to a new computer? I just buy a new computer and insert the SSD from the old one into it and I'll recover everything? I don't need to erase anything if I want to resell that Lenovo (everything but the SSD and damaged motherboard)?
Options

10505 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39291 Signins

406387 Page Views

• Views: 406387
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Replace motherboard or buy new laptop?

2018-07-25, 22:21 PM

Tested to enter the BIOS is different from tested and working.  There can be things wrong.  If it is listed as "used". it should be working, so you should check the seller's return policy.  Assuming it is working, you should be able to access your data.  You can move the CPU, using new thermal paste.  It's your choice whether to replace it yourself or pay someone.  If the T430 meets your needs, it should be worth the cost.

This is the manual:

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t430_t430i_hmm_en_0b48304_04.pdf

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

1 Posts

07-12-2019

IN

1 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Replace motherboard or buy new laptop?

2019-07-12, 11:09 AM

Smart Techno -  Best place to buy motherboard and other all computer accessories in India

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save