DK

48 Signins

555 Page Views

• Views: 555
  • Message 1 of 17

Problem connecting to public wifi

2019-01-05, 12:43 PM

Hi,

I have a problem logging in to a public wifi. I know it might be a Windows 10 issue but I have tried almost anything so I figured I would try my luck in here.

The problem I have is that when I try to log in to a public wifi (library) the login page does not come up or it comes up but says I can't connect for some reason.

I have looked up solutions on Google and tried virtually everything. Still nothing.

Any suggestions?

Solved! See the solution
Options

1997 Posts

05-01-2010

US

12392 Signins

143928 Page Views

• Views: 143928
  • Message 2 of 17

Re: Problem connecting to public wifi

2019-01-05, 12:49 PM

Hello,

In order for other members to help, can you please add which model YOGA has the problem, and whether you have the most updated drivers. Thanks.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2006-2016 / Windows Insider MVP 2016-Present
I am not employed by Microsoft or Lenovo.

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Options

23 Posts

05-14-2017

DK

48 Signins

555 Page Views

• Message 3 of 17

2019-01-05, 13:40 PM

Hi,

I have the YOGA 710-14IKB. Driver is Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc. and driver version is 12.0.0.461.

Options

1805 Posts

12-13-2016

US

4522 Signins

43546 Page Views

• Views: 43546
  • Message 4 of 17

2019-01-05, 15:05 PM

When that happens to me, I usually have to launch a browser and agree to the location's TOC before it'll complete the login.

It would help if you could list what you've already tried so we're not suggesting things you've already done. And does this happen at all public WiFi hotspots or just your library?

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Options

23 Posts

05-14-2017

DK

48 Signins

555 Page Views

• Message 5 of 17

2019-01-05, 16:05 PM

That's the issue. A login page does not even show up for me to agree to the TOC.

The first couple of times I tried to get access to the public wifi a browser would pop up but I get the message that I can't get access for a number of reasons. Then later on, a browser does not even show up.

Here's what I have tried (that I can think of) with no success:

1. Tried to connect to diffrent DNS-servers

2. Tried to flush the dns by going into the cmd

3. De-activating all add-ons and firewalls

3. Tried using different browsers

This problem only occurs whenever I have to agree to the TOC so I guess all public wifis. I have no problem getting access to the wifi when I'm in a cafe where I have to enter the password or even at home.

Options

1805 Posts

12-13-2016

US

4522 Signins

43546 Page Views

• Message 6 of 17

2019-01-05, 16:55 PM

wrote:

That's the issue. A login page does not even show up for me to agree to the TOC.

The first couple of times I tried to get access to the public wifi a browser would pop up but I get the message that I can't get access for a number of reasons. Then later on, a browser does not even show up.

Login pages often don't automatically show up. Sometimes, you have to launch the browser manually and try to navigate to something. That's when the hotspot will grab it and redirect it to the login page. It'd be nice to know the errors you were getting verbatim.

wrote:

This problem only occurs whenever I have to agree to the TOC so I guess all public wifis. I have no problem getting access to the wifi when I'm in a cafe where I have to enter the password or even at home.

Sounds like you have something set to block access to unsecured hotspots. Firewall, AV program, etc. You could try forgetting and re-adding the library's hotspot: 

To forget wireless network on Windows 10, do the following:
  1. Open Settings App and go to Network & Internet.
  2. Go to Wi-Fi section and click Manage Wi-Fi settings.
  3. Scroll down to the Manage known networks, select your Wireless network and click Forget.
  4. After you've done that, connect to the same wireless network again.

If that doesn't work, it's time to do a deep dive into your firewall or antivirus settings to see what's messing things up. 

Options

23 Posts

05-14-2017

DK

48 Signins

555 Page Views

• Message 7 of 17

2019-01-05, 17:11 PM

I have tried opening a new browser after connecting to the wifi, nothing happened.

Forgetting and re-adding the wifi has been done several times already, doesn't work either.

As I mentioned earlier, I had de-activated my add-ons, add blocker and even firewall. My antivirus has expired almost a year now so the firewall from the antivirus is not up either.

Options

1805 Posts

12-13-2016

US

4522 Signins

43546 Page Views

• Message 8 of 17

2019-01-06, 14:32 PM

I'm pretty much out of ideas. Digging around on the 'net produced some various solutions. Seems a number of things can cause this. If you have your browsers set to not accept cookies, that'll cause it. Missing Windows files. Browsers set to not allow popups, browsing security set to only connect to secure sites, etc. 

How many different open hotspots have you tried?

Options

23 Posts

05-14-2017

DK

48 Signins

555 Page Views

• Message 9 of 17

2019-01-06, 17:24 PM

I've looked on those websites you have listed and nothing worked.

My browser (Firefox) accepts cookies. They pop up on every new website I go to.

I have tried connecting to two public wifis where I live and I recall not being able to connect to airports either.

Looks like I have to do some more digging or take it to some IT expert but I appreciate your time and effort.

Options

23 Posts

05-14-2017

DK

48 Signins

555 Page Views

• Message 10 of 17

2019-02-22, 15:38 PM

Hi again,

I just want to let you guys know I fixed the problem.

Turns out it was my VPN that interfered with the public wifi. First, I tried to turn the VPN application off but if it still runs in the background it will not let me get acces to the public wifi.

In order to get access to public wifi through VPN I had to go into the VPN settings and change something.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save