12-26-2018

US

17 Signins

167 Page Views

• Views: 167
  • Message 1 of 3

Fingerprint recognition degrades over time

2020-01-23, 19:00 PM

X1 Carbon 6G, Windows 10 1909 with all updates -- I can register a fingerprint in Settings > Sign-in options. Initially, this fingerprint works fine to unlock Windows Hello and apps that use fingerprints.

However, after some time (days or weeks), the reliability of fingerprint recognition gradually degrades; it's necessary to try several times before it succeeds. Eventually, it no longer recognizes my fingerprint no matter how many times I try.

If I register a new fingerprint for the same finger, then it works reliably once again. Thus, it seems that the fingerprint reader is working fine, but somehow the memory of a saved fingerprint erodes over time.

Does this make any sense? I don't think my fingerprint is changing! (No problems unlocking an iPhone, for example.) Does the fingerprint reader update its memory of a saved fingerprint each time it is used?

I observed a similar problem with a X1 Yoga that I had until recently, so I suspect that this problem is not with a specific ThinkPad model but is generic to the Lenovo fingerprint reader (or its driver).

Options

294 Posts

11-26-2019

HK

125 Signins

2553 Page Views

• Views: 2553
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Fingerprint recognition degrades over time

2020-01-24, 1:17 AM
Did you use any "Cleaning" software? e.g. CCleaner
Options

6 Posts

12-26-2018

US

17 Signins

167 Page Views

• Views: 167
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Fingerprint recognition degrades over time

2020-01-24, 6:01 AM

Not using CCleaner or any similar software.

By the way, there have been reports that the fingerprint reader fails after resuming from sleep, but that is not the case here. My X1C rarely sleeps, and restarting makes no difference.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save