Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kate_Marie
Paper Tape
Views: 1,968

Deleted 1x1 11b/g/n Wireless LAN PCI Express Half Mini Card Adapter

Hi, all!

I fiddled with the half mini card adapter on my Thinkpad Edge E420 laptop running Windows 7, and now I can't connect via Wi-Fi. 

I saw advice on another website that to enable a laptop to increase wireless connection speed, one could delete the network adapter and reinstall it.  We got a new router with Ethernet connection speed of 1 gbps, and I wanted my laptop's speed to be higher than its constant 54 mbps.

This turns out to have been bad advice.  When I went to reinstall the adapter, I noticed that of the 3 items previously listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters, one of the items was missing.  I was not clever enough to have written down the names of the 3 items *before* deleting the PCI Express Half Mini Card Adapter, so I can't say what the name of the item was.

The two items remaining are this 1x1 11b/g/n Wireless LAN PCI Express Half Mini Card Adapter which reinstalled (but apparently not fully), and the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

Immediately I lost connectivity with the internet.  Windows diagnostics tells me there's a "problem with the network adapter" and "Windows couldn't automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter."  I have no idea what that means.  Windows also tells me that I don't need a new driver.

Can anyone help?  I'm not particularly computer-savvy, but am highly motivated -- because I love my laptop!

Thank you in advance.

Who Me Too'd this topic