08-21-2017 03:14 AM
Issue: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th Gen black screen / 'screen off' on resume from sleep
I know this issue has been posted about several times regarding the X1 series but .... none of those threads seem to have any kind of answer to this problem. This seems like quite a horrendous issue for a +£1500 to have !! Constantly 'hard rebooting' and losing all my open work is seriously seriously annoying.
Please note: My drivers are 100% up to date based on Lenovo's own update software. I have all official Windows 10 updates issued to date (21 aug 17).
These are the patterns I've noticed:
- It doesn't always replicate the same behaviour: after resume from sleep sometimes it's 'black' and other times it's fine. I'd say 66% of the 'lid openings' it's OK but 33% of cases it's not.
- I've found that if I shut the lid again and reopen (often 3 or more times and waiting 30+ seconds on each open then 30+ seconds on each close) then I can eventually 'force' it to turn the screen on.
- If I 'manually' set the unit to sleep from the start menu rather than just closing the lid, I'm pretty certain that it *does not* exhibit this problem. I'll be 100% certain once I've tried this a few more times.
- I've removed all USB devices from the laptop one-by-one and waited for the problem to reoccur thus ruling out any single or combination of USB devices.
- I have the 'lock screen' shown when it does successfully resume from sleep.
- The screen 'blackness' looks to me as if it's genuinely 'off' rather than 'on but showing the color black'.
- I've tried pressing all the lenovo funcitional keys whilst the 'black screen' is showing, to no avail. Hoping that maybe it had switched to the alternative display port or something.
- I do not have the Lenovo 'easy resume' enabled. I'm aware of this feature but.. all it really does is prevent the device from entering sleep immediately after the lid is closed. This just means it gets warm in my bag - not ideal! I also experimented with this feature and the unit exhibits the same black screen behaviour whether the 'easy resume' is enabled or not.
- I do not believe this is a hardware fault. It's not that the screen flickers or 'cuts out' as such - I believe its a software issue essenitally "forgetting" to wake up the screen.
- Other than annoying 'coil whine' the unit exhibits no other unusual or broken behaviour.
Many thanks for any ideas or suggestions !!