cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MountainX
Token Ring
Views: 4,914

Unreliable Ethernet via Thunderbolt 3 or USB Type-C

Is anyone else having trouble maintaining a wired network connection via the Thunderbolt 3 port?

I have a Yoga 370 with Thunderbolt 3 and a T470s with Thunderbolt 3. I also have a Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 dock. On both laptops, the Ethernet connection "goes to sleep" (even without any power management options enabled in my KDE System Settings GUI) after some time. I have even had it happen while in the middle of working and browsing the web.

The T470s also has an RJ45 jack. Ethernet is totally reliable through this port. The Yoga 370 has a proprietary mini Ethernet port. I have the Lenovo dongle and Ethernet is totally reliable through this port. I tested two other USB Type-C Ethernet adapters (Plugable brand) and both showed problems, similar to the Thunderbolt 3 dock.

The pattern is that Ethernet over this Thunderbolt 3 connector is unreliable with multiple ThinkPads and multiple docks/adapters. It is only Ethernet over The Thunderbolt 3 connector that has a problem. Other Ethernet ports do not have issues.

What I hope to understand next is whether is is a Linux issue or a hardware issue.

Now

Who Me Too'd this topic