cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robert1371
Paper Tape
Views: 3,144

New X1 --- error msg at startup

My new Thinkpad X1 has a problem: after booting into Windows 10 Pro, an error message appears on the home screen. The message is:

"There was a problem starting C:\Program Files(x86)ThinkPad\Utilities\PWMTR64V.dll The specified module could not be found."

Otherwise, everything else seems to work fine.

I originally set up Windows 10 Pro with a Microsoft account, then updated all the Windows and Lenovo files.

Then I realized I could do the setup without a Microsoft account which I didn't want anyway. So I then did a Windows system reset and did a clean setup this time with a personal account. Then I again updated the Windows and Lenovo files. 

Then the next time I restarted the computer, I got the error message.

I did a file search for the missing PWMTR64V.dll, and I found it in another folder: 

c:\Program Data\Lenovo\ImController\Plugins\ThinkpowerPackage\x86\PWMTR64V.dll.

Just to see if I could get rid of the error message, I copied the PWMTR64V.dll file, then created 

C:\Program Files(x86)ThinkPad\Utilities\folder and pasted the dll there. Then, at system startup, the error msg did not appear.

The problem seems to be fixed, but it is no real fix --- and now I wonder if there might be other files that might have been displaced as well, and that might cause trouble in the future.

So my question is --- why might this be happening? What Lenovo program is looking for this dll where it doesn't exist? Is there a Windows reset that goes deeper than the system reset? Any ideas?

I just got this computer and haven't loaded anything yet, so I don't mind wiping everything out right now.

I purchased the 3-year onsite warranty upgrade, but Lenovo said it didn't cover software issues. I may have to return this computer because of the uncertainty about this problem. Any help or clues appreciated.

Who Me Too'd this topic