cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheDorkside
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,532

Lenovo Yoga 530 14ARR Drivers- and BIOS issues

As a game developer I wanted to point out a couple of quite big problems with the Lenovo 530 Ryzen Mobile laptops, I hope this can gain some traction and eventually reach the developers of drivers- and BIOS'es at Lenovo.

BIOS

• Unable to allocate VRAM. 256MB up to 2GB should be available in the BIOS. This is a really big issue since 256MB renders some applications useless. I can't activate full hardware acceleration in Adobe Photoshop CC. Black Magic Da Vinci Resolved won't start due to limited VRAM. Texture streaming is having issues in Unreal Engine 4. I know that the GPU can dynamically allocate more VRAM if needed, however a lot of applications need 512MB (or more) of dedicated VRAM in order to run, please increase this, or preferably let us to choose how much we want to dedicate to the GPU.

Radeon Drivers

• Can't  add custom resolutions to internal screen (although it works on external screens) - I was able to do so with registry hacks, without any issues. With this being said, it should be supported by the Software itself.
  • AMD Hardware Codec doesn't work for encoding videos, making it hard to stream or encode videos over the GPU
  • Freesync doesn't work properly - I have a freesync monitor at home. A MSI Optix 27CQ. The Yoga 530 can't provide freesync to it although it is being promoted on AMDs site. And then there is a strange thing where the monitor can only use 120Hz in 1080p, but not 1440p. This could be a bandwidth issue. The computer can't however do 900p120Hz or 720p120Hz, although the monitor supports both these resolutions and refreshrates over hdmi.... my other computers can provide these resolutions and refreshrates, even with hdmi older graphics cards with 1.4b standard.

Power Management

• Low 3D performance due to bad power management - Since the system is 15W it does suffer from being too powerful for what the cooling can provide, in terms of gaming, it is almost always preferable to run the CPU at a locked 1600MHz, giving the GPU more room to breath. You can gain up to 30% more performance in GPU heavy scenarios, However, this needs to be done by creating power profiles in the old "Power Settings" in Windows. This should be built into the power mangement itself (example, If a task requires CPU but little GPU run the CPU at 3200Mhz, and application using 600+MHz GPU, should decrease CPU to 1600MHz by default) or it could also be implemented as a "Gaming Mode" toggle provided by Lenovo Vantage.

For those of you who feel that you have the same kind of problems, please click on the "I have this problem as well" and give it some kodus. I really think that this needs to be adressed in future driver- and BIOS revisions.

Who Me Too'd this topic