cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
M47R1X
Serial Port
Views: 22,633

Y570 - Why do games run better off my battery and choppy when its plugged in?

This is for a Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 with a RapidDrive.

I saw this question earlier and have a similar problem. This is the issue that guy (as well as myself) had:

when my laptop is plugged in it runs games all choppy. like playing hellgate it seems every step forward i take my character stops for a split second. but when i have it running off battery its smooth as ever. same with other games like world of tanks. it runs at 12 fps while its plugged in and 30 fps off the battery. is there any way to change it cause its annoying only playing for 2 hours and then needing to recharge it for 2 more.

He later added this:

wow thanks. went to the the power settings only thing different was ati card was set to maximize performance when plugged in and maximize battery life on battery. changed to maximize battery life when plugged in and they run perfect now.doesnt make sense but it works thanks alot.

My problem is that I have nVidia Optimus graphics and see no way to maximize battery life while the system is plugged in. For one reason or another, when the system is optimizing battery life, the games run smoother. I can find a way to edit the settings for the integrated graphics, but the dedicated graphics are a no-go. I looked in the (very limited) nVidia control panel to no avail. I've also set the thing to use High Performance, Balanced, and Energy Star plans, all yielding the same results.
 I could technically only play games on the battery power, but that REALLY cuts down on gaming time. This lappy gets great battery life when not gaming, but that GT555M chugs down battery like booze at a frat party. Thanks for any help!

Also, there is no way to contact that guy that I've found. All of his Yahoo settings are private. Thanks!

Who Me Too'd this topic