Motorola Community

razrrazr (2020) / razr 5G
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

11-17-2018

US

6 Signins

58 Page Views

  • Posts: 5
  • Registered: ‎11-17-2018
  • Location: US
  • Views: 58
  • Message 1 of 6

2020 Moto Razr 5G network issues

2020-10-05, 13:22 PM

Just got the just released Moto Razr 5G from my local retail AT&T store and have been using it for couple of days and network issues with the phone already. Within the first few hours i noticed that the phone would loose cellular connectivity and in the status bar i would see "Emergency Calls Only". Only restart would bring the cellular connectivity back. This was on parking lot near local mall that has excellent coverage from AT&T.

 

Second time that i lost cellular connectivity was when i was at home. Toggling airplane mode would not fix the issue, only restart. Called AT&T and got a hold of the advanced tech support that couldn't see anything wrong with provisioning. They were guessing that the sim card might be bad. They shipped a new one for me  and i will try that option.

 

Another weird thing with the phone is that has poor WiFi reception as well. My home office is in my bsmt and the phone has trouble connecting to 2.4 or 5 GHz bands. All of my devices have no issue connecting on my 5GHz band in the bsmt (iPad, work laptops, printer with wifi connectivity, pixel 4xl). Restart won't help here.

 

There was ab system small update that i applied in the first hours of ownership of the device. All apps are up to date. I did "Network Reset" and that didn't seem to do anything. Poor WiFi connectivity is what is worrying me.

 

Did i receive defective phone?

 

PS - What is wrong with lenovo forums? Inserting **bleep on non offesive words?

Reply
Options

19248 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2366 Signins

58417 Page Views

  • Posts: 19248
  • Registered: ‎02-03-2016
  • Location: US
  • Views: 58417
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:2020 Moto Razr 5G network issues

2020-10-05, 15:31 PM

@ bormasina wrote:
 

 

Just got the just released Moto Razr 5G from my local retail AT&T store and have been using it for couple of days and network issues with the phone already. Within the first few hours i noticed that the phone would loose cellular connectivity and in the status bar i would see "Emergency Calls Only". Only restart would bring the cellular connectivity back. This was on parking lot near local mall that has excellent coverage from AT&T.

 

Second time that i lost cellular connectivity was when i was at home. Toggling airplane mode would not fix the issue, only restart. Called AT&T and got a hold of the advanced tech support that couldn't see anything wrong with provisioning. They were guessing that the sim card might be bad. They shipped a new one for me  and i will try that option.

 

Another weird thing with the phone is that has poor WiFi reception as well. My home office is in my bsmt and the phone has trouble connecting to 2.4 or 5 GHz bands. All of my devices have no issue connecting on my 5GHz band in the bsmt (iPad, work laptops, printer with wifi connectivity, pixel 4xl). Restart won't help here.

 

There was ab system small update that i applied in the first hours of ownership of the device. All apps are up to date. I did "Network Reset" and that didn't seem to do anything. Poor WiFi connectivity is what is worrying me.

 

Did i receive defective phone?

 

PS - What is wrong with lenovo forums? Inserting **bleep on non offesive words?

 

Hi.

 

Sorry to hear this. You have multiple issues, but probably best to take them one at a time and see what impact the new SIM has, if that works for you. 

 

Once that's in place, if the issues persist, I would like to get a bug report from you. I can provide instructions. Hope that is something you are okay with.

 

The spam filter is a bit loopy right now, especially in picking up "embedded" words within other words. If you can let me know what you experienced we can try to address it.

 

Thanks,

 

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Reply
Options

5 Posts

11-17-2018

US

6 Signins

58 Page Views

  • Posts: 5
  • Registered: ‎11-17-2018
  • Location: US
  • Views: 58
  • Message 3 of 6

Re:2020 Moto Razr 5G network issues

2020-10-05, 17:21 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, there might be multiple issues. I am supposed to receive the sim card tomorrow and will see what the sim card does to the issue. I needed to mention that the cellular connectivity issue is intermittent ... hard to predict when is the next tantrum session.

 

Regarding the WiFi issue, i kind of bundled the cellular issue together with the WiFi issue primarily because they seemed related due to me thinking that the antenna is shared. I got the WiFi to eventually connect to the 2.4GHz band but the signal strength seem low as compared to my other devices (and i am just looking at wifi bars in the status bar - the razr shows only one bar on 2.4GHz band). I'm working off of my b-a-s-e-m-e-n-t (where my home office is) and i need some good cell/wifi reception to support my work needs.

 

I have no issue providing bug files/report. Let me know what you need and how to generate those.

 

Yeah, the spam thingie is flagging my word b-a-s-e-m-e-n-t, so i needed to abbreviate to bsmt.

Reply
Options

19248 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2366 Signins

58417 Page Views

  • Posts: 19248
  • Registered: ‎02-03-2016
  • Location: US
  • Views: 58417
  • Message 4 of 6

Re:2020 Moto Razr 5G network issues

2020-10-06, 16:03 PM

@ bormasina wrote:
 

 

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, there might be multiple issues. I am supposed to receive the sim card tomorrow and will see what the sim card does to the issue. I needed to mention that the cellular connectivity issue is intermittent ... hard to predict when is the next tantrum session.

 

Regarding the WiFi issue, i kind of bundled the cellular issue together with the WiFi issue primarily because they seemed related due to me thinking that the antenna is shared. I got the WiFi to eventually connect to the 2.4GHz band but the signal strength seem low as compared to my other devices (and i am just looking at wifi bars in the status bar - the razr shows only one bar on 2.4GHz band). I'm working off of my b-a-s-e-m-e-n-t (where my home office is) and i need some good cell/wifi reception to support my work needs.

 

I have no issue providing bug files/report. Let me know what you need and how to generate those.

 

Yeah, the spam thingie is flagging my word b-a-s-e-m-e-n-t, so i needed to abbreviate to bsmt.

 

 

Hi.

 

Thanks for all these details. Here are the instructions. (I think they are right - things are a bit different on this phone.)

 

1. Go to Settings > About phone > scroll to the bottom > Tap on Build number 7 times to enable Developer mode.

2. Go to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer options.

3. In Developer options, enable USB debugging 

4. In Developer options > enable Bug Report shortcut, and Enable Wi-Fi Verbose Logging, and Enable Bluetooth HCI snoop log.

5. Once the issue is reproduced, go to Developer options > Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.

6. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.

7. When it's ready, upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and share the link to the Bug Report via an email to supportforums@motorola.com, and include a note referring to this post so we know what it refers to.

8. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

 

Thanks in advance if you can do this.

 

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Reply
Options

1 Posts

10-13-2020

US

1 Signins

0 Page Views

  • Posts: 1
  • Registered: ‎10-13-2020
  • Location: US
  • Views: 0
  • Message 5 of 6

Re:2020 Moto Razr 5G network issues

2020-10-13, 12:00 PM

Hello,

 

I just received my TMobile version razr 5G 2020 about 3 days ago. I am having the EXACT same issues. I am constantly getting dropped cell service with the ! quite often.. Cellular call quality is poor and often times the other person states they can't hear me. When it comes to wifi, the wifi in my home is quite robust and my razr can't even hear the 5GHz network I have if I stand more than 30 feet away from my router. If I stand in the room with my router I can attach to my 5GHz network but when I'm using different apps (facebook, tiktok, online games for example) they can't stay connected and I am constantly being dropped out of get a NO NETWORK error in the apps. I am also having bluetooth issues, I have Sony WF-1000XM3's and when I have them connected to my 7T Pro or my partner's Samsung s8 they operate fine but when connected to my razr 2020 they constantly desync between ears, cut out and even sometimes I get the bluetooth disconnected chime. 

 

I am coming from an Oneplus 7T Pro 5G and having them next to each other shows the differences quite clearly. 

 

The wireless antennas in this device are definitely not operating correctly. I want to keep this phone but in this state it's almost unuseable. It is not SIM card related because when the sim card is placed into my 7T Pro it works flawlessly.

 

Please offer me advise so I don't have to return this phone !!

Reply
Options

19248 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2366 Signins

58417 Page Views

  • Posts: 19248
  • Registered: ‎02-03-2016
  • Location: US
  • Views: 58417
  • Message 6 of 6

Re:2020 Moto Razr 5G network issues

2020-10-13, 15:17 PM

@ PlainOldJim wrote:
 

 

Hello,

 

I just received my TMobile version razr 5G 2020 about 3 days ago. I am having the EXACT same issues. I am constantly getting dropped cell service with the ! quite often.. Cellular call quality is poor and often times the other person states they can't hear me. When it comes to wifi, the wifi in my home is quite robust and my razr can't even hear the 5GHz network I have if I stand more than 30 feet away from my router. If I stand in the room with my router I can attach to my 5GHz network but when I'm using different apps (facebook, tiktok, online games for example) they can't stay connected and I am constantly being dropped out of get a NO NETWORK error in the apps. I am also having bluetooth issues, I have Sony WF-1000XM3's and when I have them connected to my 7T Pro or my partner's Samsung s8 they operate fine but when connected to my razr 2020 they constantly desync between ears, cut out and even sometimes I get the bluetooth disconnected chime. 

 

I am coming from an Oneplus 7T Pro 5G and having them next to each other shows the differences quite clearly. 

 

The wireless antennas in this device are definitely not operating correctly. I want to keep this phone but in this state it's almost unuseable. It is not SIM card related because when the sim card is placed into my 7T Pro it works flawlessly.

 

Please offer me advise so I don't have to return this phone !!

 

Hi.

 

So sorry to hear this. Wondering about your SIM -- is this an older one that you moved into the new phone? Or have you upgraded it to a new SIM?

 

Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. 

  • Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well,
  • Let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.
  • Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

 

If you can also send a bug report, that would be great.

 

Thanks,

 

-Matt

 

 

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete