Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

razrrazr (2020) / razr 5G
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

06-08-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 8

ATT Razr 2020 5G for Verizon Network, any advice thanks

2021-06-08, 15:20 PM

Hi there - first of all, many thanks for the information I have read so far.  I purchased a ATT Razr 2020 5G from an ATT account holder last week who told me the phone was "unlocked for any network".   I have been a Verizon customer for over 20 years and do not plan on changing to ATT.  It's been 3 whole days of frustration trying to activate this RAZR 2020 to my Verizon line.  I have visited the store 4x - I was given 5G and 4G SIM Cards - was told more wrong information by in-store reps than I care to recount.  Thank goodness for this forum.

I am coming here for help finally.  I did Verizon Chat yesterday which lasted 4 hours which ended when they told me I reach the maximum number of times they can send a link to switch devices and I have to wait 24 hours.  When we put in the SIM card, which I now know can only be 4G on Verizon, the phone says SIM Network Unlock Pin.

Any advice on how to get this phone to work on my Verizon line would be so helpful.  Thank you.

Options

19970 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2535 Signins

63913 Page Views

• Views: 63913
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:ATT Razr 2020 5G for Verizon Network, any advice thanks

2021-06-09, 14:10 PM

@ MJones2021 wrote:

Hi there - first of all, many thanks for the information I have read so far.  I purchased a ATT Razr 2020 5G from an ATT account holder last week who told me the phone was "unlocked for any network".   I have been a Verizon customer for over 20 years and do not plan on changing to ATT.  It' been 3 whole days of frustration trying to activate this RAZR 2020 to my Verizon line.  I have visited the store 4x - I was given 5G and 4G SIM Cards - was told more wrong information by in-store reps than I care to recount.  Thank goodness for this forum.

I am coming here for help finally.  I did Verizon Chat yesterday which lasted 4 hours which ended when they told me I reach the maximum number of times they can send a link to switch devices and I have to wait 24 hours.  When we put in the SIM card, which I now know can only be 4G on Verizon, the phone says SIM Network Unlock Pin.

Any advice on how to get this phone to work on my Verizon line would be so helpful.  Thank you.

Hi.

That "SIM Network Unlock Pin" warning means it's not carrier unlocked. Can the seller help you get it unlocked? You can also ask AT&T to see if they can help -- maybe that is the first thing to try.

This is one of the real risks of buying a used phone. Good luck!

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

4 Posts

06-08-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2021-06-09, 14:23 PM

Thanks so much Matt.  I am in contact with the seller, he is using a third party service to unlock it.  He paid $25 and is waiting for the code and he said he will let me know.  

Should I still contact ATT ? 

THANKS

Options

19970 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2535 Signins

63913 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2021-06-10, 14:00 PM

@ MJones2021 wrote:

Thanks so much Matt.  I am in contact with the seller, he is using a third party service to unlock it.  He paid $25 and is waiting for the code and he said he will let me know.  

Should I still contact ATT ? 

THANKS

Hi.

You know, in my personal opinion I would contact AT&T. Until you are clear with them it really doesn't matter what the seller does, right? There are a handful of ways this might go sideways, some not immediately evident. 

That's my advice - again, good luck!

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

4 Posts

06-08-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2021-06-10, 20:11 PM

Thanks Matt

The seller was able to obtain an unlock code from a third party service.  I used it and the phone is unlocked and working on my Verizon network.

On your advice, I called and visited the ATT store about this issue.  I was told I am not their customer and they will not be able to provide any information.

Can you give some insight as to what unforeseen issues I will run into in the future ?  Are we talking about fraud or some kind of tracking / spyware or that the seller will have access to the data on my phone ?  

I have logged into my Google account, my Verizon number is working on the phone and data - albeit - 4G are all working well.  Any add'l advice would be appreciated.

Options

5 Posts

04-01-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 6 of 8

2021-06-11, 7:17 AM

Hearing your situation kind of reminds me of the one I was in at one point. I ordered a open box RAZR 5G for a lot cheaper than brand new, seller claimed it was unlocked, and it was an ATT model. Turned out it was still on someone's account, so I couldn't get it unlocked easily. It had been two weeks and I threw in the towel and returned it, and bought one that was actually unlocked. Considering you were able to get yours unlocked, all is probably well. But I personally wouldn't settle for buying a 5G phone and not being able to use it. As for spyware, it's unlikely. Android isn't impervious to viruses and spyware but it's very difficult to actually install that kind of stuff at a system level and have it survive a factory reset. Basically if you're worried about any security stuff, so long as you've factory reset the phone at some point it's probably fine. 

Andy E.
Options

19970 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2535 Signins

63913 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2021-06-11, 14:15 PM

@ MJones2021 wrote:

Thanks Matt

The seller was able to obtain an unlock code from a third party service.  I used it and the phone is unlocked and working on my Verizon network.

On your advice, I called and visited the ATT store about this issue.  I was told I am not their customer and they will not be able to provide any information.

Can you give some insight as to what unforeseen issues I will run into in the future ?  Are we talking about fraud or some kind of tracking / spyware or that the seller will have access to the data on my phone ?  

I have logged into my Google account, my Verizon number is working on the phone and data - albeit - 4G are all working well.  Any add' advice would be appreciated.

Hi.

Sorry if I was too obscure. I didn't mean security, etc. I didn't want to come across as overly suspicious, but I was thinking about if the original owner had fully paid off the device or not. Additionally, there are some situations where the carrier pushes software updates, and phones without that carrier SIM won't receive the push. Not sure about this particular phone and AT&T in that regard.

Very glad you got it working.

- Matt

Options

4 Posts

06-08-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2021-06-11, 17:41 PM

Thank you both for your insights.  This is such a helpful forum.  I am glad to learn that Factory Reset would be helpful to prevent a potential security issue.  

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms