Options

17 Posts

10-07-2020

US

22 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 1 of 47

Big Issue: RAZR 5G Not compatible with Android Auto over USB! Are any plans to address this?

2020-10-07, 17:27 PM

Got Kenwood DMX7705S Head Unit in the car. Been using Android Auto (AA) over USB without any problems with Xperia XZ2C and Samsung S10E. 

• RAZR 5G does not connect to Head Unit over USB. Get error messages: "An access error of the USB device has occurred" and "Unsupported device"
  • Razr 5G may connect via Bluetooth, but Android AA then appear only on Razr - and nothing appear on the head unit (can beam music over Bluetooth, but other functions (Google Maps or Waze navigation only appear on the phone - as expected)
  • This is very bad, as the whole purpose of using Razr 5G is that it can be used closed (I don't know how even to hold it and use it open in the car). 
  • As Razr 5G is not cheap, I'd be willing to even change the car head unit (also this is not cheap), but Razr 5G does not show as compatible with any Android Auto enabled Head Units.
  • Question: Is this going to be addressed?  
Options

19377 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2392 Signins

59443 Page Views

• Views: 59443
  • Message 2 of 47

Re:Big Issue: RAZR 5G Not compatible with Android Auto over USB! Are any plans to address this?

2020-10-08, 13:44 PM

@ Alex D wrote:

Got Kenwood DMX7705S Head Unit in the car. Been using Android Auto (AA) over USB without any problems with Xperia XZ2C and Samsung S10E. 

• RAZR 5G does not connect to Head Unit over USB. Get error messages: "An access error of the USB device has occurred" and "Unsupported device"
  • Razr 5G may connect via Bluetooth, but Android AA then appear only on Razr - and nothing appear on the head unit (can beam music over Bluetooth, but other functions (Google Maps or Waze navigation only appear on the phone - as expected)
  • This is very bad, as the whole purpose of using Razr 5G is that it can be used closed (I don't know how even to hold it and use it open in the car).
  • As Razr 5G is not cheap, I'd be willing to even change the car head unit (also this is not cheap), but Razr 5G does not show as compatible with any Android Auto enabled Head Units.

Hi.

Thanks for all these details, and apologies for this issue. Let me look into this and get back to you.

Regards,

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

3385 Posts

02-11-2016

US

3068 Signins

62371 Page Views

• Views: 62371
  • Message 3 of 47

Re:Big Issue: RAZR 5G Not compatible with Android Auto over USB! Are any plans to address this?

2020-10-08, 15:06 PM

@ MattForumsMngr wrote:

@ Alex D wrote:

Hi.

Thanks for all these details, and apologies for this issue. Let me look into this and get back to you.

Regards,

-Matt

I'd like to get a bit more pieces of information. When you plug the phone into your car do you have the phone closed and the device locked? What happens when you open and unlock the phone, can you then connect, or do you have the same result?

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

17 Posts

10-07-2020

US

22 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 4 of 47

2020-10-08, 17:40 PM

•  Phone is always opened and unlocked when trying to connect. 
  • While connected by USB, phone periodically (every couple of seconds) beeps but there is no visible message on the phone screen 
  • In the same time with the beep on the phone, message "An access error of the USB device has occurred" keep appearing on the car head unit  
  • If RAZR 5G is disconnected and another phone is connected (xperia XZ2C, Samsung S10E, Samsung Note 10) - Android Auto icon appears normally on the Head Unit; when this icon is pressed - AA is displayed on the car screen and all functions can be used.
  • All phones: RAZR 5G, XZ2C, S10E and Note10 are with the latest respective Android 10 updates.
  • Analyzing AA on all  phones, I've noticed that on all other phones AA displays as single standard AA icon and app.
  • On Razr 5G it seems that AA is loaded as two apps: 
    • AA server app (which cannot be uninstalled and does not have any icon to access from the phone - but activates when connected), and
    • AA For Phone Screens (with slightly different icon and this app can be uninstalled/reinstalled)
    • Looking into Google Play store it is also apparent that now there are two AA apps by Google: AA and AA For Phone Screens. AA always shows as installed on Razr 5G, AAFPS can be uninstalled and installed again.
    • At this time it seems to me as Razr 5G connect only by Bluetooth (ignoring USB connection), then starts AA For Phone Screens on Razr screen and ignores car head unit screen. Waze and Google Maps are also only displayed on Razr screen. 
    • This means that Razr has to be kept opened in the car in order to use any navigation and car head unit screen is not used.
    • If I could, I would uninstall AA server app and try to  install it again - but that app can only be disabled and not uninstalled.
    • Although not preferred, I'd also try to use Weblink app (which is supposed to work with JVC and Kenwood car units), but preinstalled AA in Razr 5G always takes over, so I haven't had any luck with that connection either. Razr 5G is also not shown in Weblink compatible list (I hoped that is only because it is a brand new phone and hasn't been entered yet) 
    • To summarize: I do travel a lot, my use case is to always rent a car with AA enabled head unit and use navigation and music from my phone on car screen, while driving. I've been doing this for years on various car models and brands and Razr 5G is my first phone that seem incapable of displaying navigation on the car screen. If the issue is only with my Mercedes Kenwood unit - I will accept it, but if issue is the same with other car units - that makes Razr 5G much less useful for me.    
Options

3385 Posts

02-11-2016

US

3068 Signins

62371 Page Views

• Views: 62371
  • Message 5 of 47

2020-10-08, 17:46 PM

@ Alex D wrote:

• Phone is always opened and unlocked when trying to connect.
  • While connected by USB, phone periodically (every couple of seconds) beeps but there is no visible message on the phone screen
  • In the same time with the beep on the phone, message "An access error of the USB device has occurred" keep appearing on the car head unit
  • If RAZR 5G is disconnected and another phone is connected (xperia XZ2C, Samsung S10E, Samsung Note 10) - Android Auto icon appears normally on the Head Unit; when this icon is pressed - AA is displayed on the car screen and all functions can be used.
  • All phones: RAZR 5G, XZ2C, S10E and Note10 are with the latest respective Android 10 updates.
  • Analyzing AA on all  phones, I've noticed that on all other phones AA displays as single standard AA icon and app.
  • On Razr 5G it seems that AA is loaded as two apps:
    • AA server app (which cannot be uninstalled and does not have any icon to access from the phone - but activates when connected), and
    • AA For Phone Screens (with slightly different icon and this app can be uninstalled/reinstalled)
    • Looking into Google Play store it is also apparent that now there are two AA apps by Google: AA and AA For Phone Screens. AA always shows as installed on Razr 5G, AAFPS can be uninstalled and installed again.
    • At this time it seems to me as Razr 5G connect only by Bluetooth (ignoring USB connection), then starts AA For Phone Screens on Razr screen and ignores car head unit screen. Waze and Google Maps are also only displayed on Razr screen.
    • This means that Razr has to be kept opened in the car in order to use any navigation and car head unit screen is not used.
    • If I could, I would uninstall AA server app and try to  install it again - but that app can only be disabled and not uninstalled.
    • Although not preferred, I'd also try to use Weblink app (which is supposed to work with JVC and Kenwood car units), but preinstalled AA in Razr 5G always takes over, so I haven't had any luck with that connection either. Razr 5G is also not shown in Weblink compatible list (I hoped that is only because it is a brand new phone and hasn't been entered yet)
    • To summarize: I do travel a lot, my use case is to always rent a car with AA enabled head unit and use navigation and music from my phone on car screen, while driving. I've been doing this for years on various car models and brands and Razr 5G is my first phone that seem incapable of displaying navigation on the car screen. If the issue is only with my Mercedes Kenwood unit - I will accept it, but if issue is the same with other car units - that makes Razr 5G much less useful for me.

Wow, thank you for all the details. Can you try uninstalling (don't reinstall) the AAFPS app and see if the issue persists. I think it was on Android 9 or 10 that Google integrated AA into the OS so you didn't need the standalone Android Auto app to connect with car infotainment systems. Let me know if you've tried that already or the results.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

4 Posts

10-11-2020

US

6 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 6 of 47

2020-10-11, 5:29 AM

I am experiencing the same issue after getting the Razr 5G today. The Razr 5G seems to struggle in connecting with my 2019 Chevrolet Suburban. After finally getting the phone to connect, Android Auto keeps on shutting down / crashing every few minutes. Once it crashes, if I try and access the Android Auto icon in my Chevy, I get a device not compatible error. If I unplug the phone and replug it in, things start working for a couple of minutes before breaking again. This is extremely frustrating. 

Any suggestions on the fix before I return this device? 

Options

12 Posts

10-11-2020

US

12 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 7 of 47

2020-10-11, 17:55 PM

I have the exact same issue with my Razr 5G!  The phone says Android Auto is running (and will show this whether connected when locked or unlocked) BUT the car says “unable to connect”.  Trying official or unofficial USB cables makes no difference.  I have tried different combinations of AA and AAFPS with no positive result.  Also turned on/off phone, car, etc.  Nothing works.

I have a Mercedes E300 (2017).  The car works with iPhone 11 (CarPlay) AND Moto Z3 Play (Android Auto).

I have posted on the Android Auto forum with no response yet.

I’m happy to know it’s an issue with the phone and not the car.

When can we update our phones with a fix for this issue?

Options

19377 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2392 Signins

59443 Page Views

• Message 8 of 47

2020-10-12, 15:36 PM

@ mcbs83 wrote:

I have the exact same issue with my Razr 5G!  The phone says Android Auto is running (and will show this whether connected when locked or unlocked) BUT the car says “unable to connect”.  Trying official or unofficial USB cables makes no difference.  I have tried different combinations of AA and AAFPS with no positive result.  Also turned on/off phone, car, etc.  Nothing works.

I have a Mercedes E300 (2017).  The car works with iPhone 11 (CarPlay) AND Moto Z3 Play (Android Auto).

I have posted on the Android Auto forum with no response yet.

I’m happy to know it’s an issue with the phone and not the car.

When can we update our phones with a fix for this issue?

Hi.

We are working on this, though I can't give timing about when a software solution might be available.

We do have a FAQ on this issue here. I've asked to have it updated to be more specific, but the key appears to be cable length. The recommendation is that a 6-inch cable (15cm) is likely to resolve this.

Apologies for this problem.

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

12 Posts

10-11-2020

US

12 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 9 of 47

2020-10-14, 3:25 AM

Hi Matt,

What about a 3 ft. USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 cable, would that work as a temporary fix until you offer a software update?  I.e. is it a signal loss issue?

https://blogs.synopsys.com/tousbornottousb/2017/12/06/usb-3-2-cable-lengths-and-water-delivery/

I need a 3 ft. cable so that I can mount my phone on the windshield.

Look forward to your reply...

Options

19377 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2392 Signins

59443 Page Views

• Message 10 of 47

2020-10-14, 13:47 PM

@ mcbs83 wrote:

Hi Matt,

What about a 3 ft. USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 cable, would that work as a temporary fix until you offer a software update?  I.e. is it a signal loss issue?

https://blogs.synopsys.com/tousbornottousb/2017/12/06/usb-3-2-cable-lengths-and-water-delivery/

I need a 3 ft. cable so that I can mount my phone on the windshield.

Look forward to your reply...

Hi.

It's my understanding that the longer cable is not optimal. I totally understand that this is necessary for you, but until the update, we're recommending a 6" cable.

-Matt

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete