Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

razrrazr (2020) / razr 5G
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

09-08-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 14

Looking to purchase. Have questions

2021-09-08, 6:34 AM

Well, it's finally time.  I've been shopping around at everything but new and running across some basic questions.  The problem is everyone I ask has different answers, so I'm a bit confused as to what the facts are, so here goes..

What are the differences between the XT2071-1, -2, -3, -4, -5, etc.?

I'm on the Verizon network.  I see these phones listed as "AT&T only", unlocked, can be used on GSM and CDMI.....  The one ad I've yet to see is "Verizon only".  I asked one seller of an unlocked phone that did not list a carrier if it was compatible with Verizon.  The answer was no.  I asked another seller the same question on what appeared to be an identical phone and the answer was yes.  On a similar topic, one seller says it has one SIM slot, another says it uses eSIM technology.  The more info I get, the more confused I am.  One seller gave me the IMEI, I called a Verizon retailer with it and he said it will work.  The problem with this phone is that it's slightly damaged, so no can do.  I thought this was the definitive way to identify a compatible phone, but no other seller I've asked is willing to give me the IMEI, so..... dead end.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Thanks!

Options

6880 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3414 Signins

86226 Page Views

• Views: 86226
  • Message 2 of 14

Re:Looking to purchase. Have questions

2021-09-08, 14:02 PM

@ Willie Ute wrote:

Well, it's finally time.  I've been shopping around at everything but new and running across some basic questions.  The problem is everyone I ask has different answers, so I'm a bit confused as to what the facts are, so here goes..

What are the differences between the XT2071-1, -2, -3, -4, -5, etc.?

I'm on the Verizon network.  I see these phones listed as "AT&T only", unlocked, can be used on GSM and CDMI.....  The one ad I've yet to see is "Verizon only".  I asked one seller of an unlocked phone that did not list a carrier if it was compatible with Verizon.  The answer was no.  I asked another seller the same question on what appeared to be an identical phone and the answer was yes.  On a similar topic, one seller says it has one SIM slot, another says it uses eSIM technology.  The more info I get, the more confused I am.  One seller gave me the IMEI, I called a Verizon retailer with it and he said it will work.  The problem with this phone is that it's slightly damaged, so no can do.  I thought this was the definitive way to identify a compatible phone, but no other seller I've asked is willing to give me the IMEI, so..... dead end.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Thanks!

Hello and thanks for taking the time to post. I'll do my best to help answer your questions.

The only models officially sold in the use are XT2071-2, -3, and -5. The other models are for other countries. That being said, the XT2071-3 is the retail unlocked model that we sell on our website. That model is compatible with the following

• AT&T
    • 5G Sub6 NSA, VoLTE
  • Verizon
    • 4G, VoLTE.
  • T-Mobile
    • 5G sub6 NSA, 5G sub6 SA via MR, VoLTE, WiFi Calling, Video Calling
  • Sprint
    • 5G sub6 NSA, 5G sub6 SA via MR, VoLTE, WiFi Calling

As you can see that model is supported on all the carriers. It just won't get 5G on Verizon. As for the other models. -2 is an AT&T-specific model and -5 is the T-Mobile/Sprint model. Both 2 and 3 are carrier-locked devices.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

7 Posts

09-08-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 3 of 14

2021-09-08, 15:39 PM

Thanks Tom, this gets me pointed in the right direction.  This is how I sum it up:

Verizon does not have their own specific model, but the -3 is the only one that works on their network, just no 5G.  This implies the -3 does work on other networks?

When you say "carrier-locked", does this mean when it is locked, it can only work on their specific network?  Can you purchase a locked phone and use it as long as it stays on the same network?

My last question regards SIM cards and eSIM.  Does the 2071-x have a SIM slot, and / or use eSIM technology?

FYI, I don't buy new cell phones (or new cars either).  It's just a matter of depreciation and the rapid advancement of technology...

Options

388 Posts

08-30-2018

United States of America

897 Signins

18843 Page Views

• Views: 18843
  • Message 4 of 14

2021-09-09, 15:04 PM

@ Willie Ute wrote:

Thanks Tom, this gets me pointed in the right direction.  This is how I sum it up:

Verizon does not have their own specific model, but the -3 is the only one that works on their network, just no 5G.  This implies the -3 does work on other networks?

When you say "carrier-locked", does this mean when it is locked, it can only work on their specific network?  Can you purchase a locked phone and use it as long as it stays on the same network?

My last question regards SIM cards and eSIM.  Does the 2071-x have a SIM slot, and / or use eSIM technology?

FYI, I don't buy new cell phones (or new cars either).  It's just a matter of depreciation and the rapid advancement of technology...

Hello,

I'd like to help you with these questions.

Regarding your first question.  Yes, even though this device doesn't have 5G with Verizon it still supports the features as Tom noted on other carriers.

• AT&T
    • 5G Sub6 NSA, VoLTE
  • Verizon
    • 4G, VoLTE.
  • T-Mobile
    • 5G sub6 NSA, 5G sub6 SA via MR, VoLTE, WiFi Calling, Video Calling
  • Sprint
    • 5G sub6 NSA, 5G sub6 SA via MR, VoLTE, WiFi Calling

Carrier locked means that device only works with the carrier its locked to.  Example:  You purchase the AT&T phone, it will only work with AT&T SIM.  Inserting a SIM from another carrier will not work unless you have requested and received an unlock code from the AT&T.  

Regarding your last question.  Most carriers use a physical SIM card, TMO will support an E-SIM.  See below for details.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/153026/~/activate-your-razr-%282020%29

I hope this helps, please let us know if you have other questions.

Best regards

Becky

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

7 Posts

09-08-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 5 of 14

2021-09-09, 15:44 PM

Yes, thank you for your help.

I think I understand it all, except one thing.  Does the razr (2020) have a single SIM slot?  And can it operate on TMO without a physical SIM?

Options

3692 Posts

03-04-2016

India

1241 Signins

59510 Page Views

• Views: 59510
  • Message 6 of 14

2021-09-14, 3:42 AM

@ Willie Ute wrote:

Yes, thank you for your help.

I think I understand it all, except one thing.  Does the razr (2020) have a single SIM slot?  And can it operate on TMO without a physical SIM?

Hi, 

The RAZR has a single SIM slot and it is compatible with the T-Mobile eSIM. Please follow the mentioned link here for more info about activating with TMO and E-SIM. Hope this helps.  

Thanks

Regards

Sandip

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!

Options

7 Posts

09-08-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 7 of 14

2021-09-14, 4:56 AM

I finally received the phone today.  Setting it up is NOT intuitive and I need some form of user's guide.  Where can I find one?

Thanks again.

Options

3692 Posts

03-04-2016

India

1241 Signins

59510 Page Views

• Views: 59510
  • Message 8 of 14

2021-09-15, 5:02 AM

@ Willie Ute wrote:

I finally received the phone today.  Setting it up is NOT intuitive and I need some form of user's guide.  Where can I find one?

Thanks again.

Hi, 

Here is the link for the user guide let us know if you need any other help we are here to help you.

Regards

Sandip

Options

7 Posts

09-08-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 9 of 14

2021-09-15, 22:46 PM

So, I got the phone.  I need to set it up with my junk, but running into roadblocks.  I will NOT use any products made by google.  I cannot seem to install even the basics, such as other browsers without google acting as a interface.  Obviously Motorola has a financial agreement with google.  Can you confirm this?  This is a complete deal breaker for me and I have already advertised to sell this phone.  Are all Motorola phones dependent on google to function?  If yes, as I now suspect, I will move on to another brand.

Options

14 Posts

04-01-2021

United States of America

25 Signins

190 Page Views

• Views: 190
  • Message 10 of 14

2021-09-16, 5:54 AM

It's an Android device, so it has Google services pre-installed. You can sideload a different appstore if you want, but that's not really recommended if you don't know what you're doing. I won't go into it further because there can be some very sketchy sources. If you want zero Google services, your only options are dumb-phones, iPhones, and Huawei. Might be more but those are the only off the top of my head, and naturally they have their own significant trade-offs. 

Andy E.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms