10-18-2020

US

12 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 1 of 13

RAZR unlocked AT&T wifi calling

2020-10-18, 21:14 PM

i've confirmed that wifi calling nor 5g work for the unlocked best buy razr on verizon.  with that said, can anyone confirm if these features will work on at&t?  i really dont want a bloatware version of the phone from at&t, but i also dont want to pay $45 bucks restocking with at&t if it doesnt work with the one from best buy.  willing to swap carriers as no carrier works in my neighborhood without this feature.  really wish verizon would just fix the cell tower issue and be done with it.

thanks.

Solved! See the solution
Options

19354 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2388 Signins

59288 Page Views

• Views: 59288
  • Message 2 of 13

Re:RAZR unlocked AT&T wifi calling

2020-10-19, 15:29 PM

@ blu31c33 wrote:

i've confirmed that wifi calling nor 5g work for the unlocked best buy razr on verizon.  with that said, can anyone confirm if these features will work on at&t?  i really dont want a bloatware version of the phone from at&t, but i also dont want to pay $45 bucks restocking with at&t if it doesnt work with the one from best buy.  willing to swap carriers as no carrier works in my neighborhood without this feature.  really wish verizon would just fix the cell tower issue and be done with it.

thanks.

Hi.

It is confusing, with so many variations of features. It seems like all advances in technology are accompanied by wide variations in functionality. And these are times of LOTS of advances.

Anyway, AT&T on the retail version:

• VoLTE Supported? YES
  • VoWiFi Supported? NO
  • 5G Supported? YES

If you get the version with the AT&T software, VoWiFi is supported.

Hope this helps.

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

13 Posts

10-18-2020

US

12 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 3 of 13

2020-10-19, 16:49 PM

Thanks. Back this phone goes to best buy. Wonder if I'm going to have a hard time getting them to wave the restocking fee. Seems unfair with such little info to go on for what's supported. 

Options

6 Posts

10-19-2020

US

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 4 of 13

2020-10-22, 4:57 AM
I have wifi calling through verizon. I am not sure what some people is talking. I bought my unlocked phone through motorola.com
Options

6 Posts

10-19-2020

US

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 5 of 13

2020-10-22, 4:58 AM
I have wifi calling through verizon. I am not sure what some people is talking. I bought my unlocked phone through motorola.com
Options

5 Posts

10-16-2020

US

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 6 of 13

2020-10-24, 0:01 AM

Not sure you have the facts correct. If you go into your settings, there is no option to turn on wifi calling or an option for this feature. If you put the phone in airplane mode and wifi on to make a wifi call, the phone wont let you. This is the only way to verify you have wifi calling.  You information is not accurate.

Options

13 Posts

10-18-2020

US

12 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2020-10-24, 17:09 PM
Maybe on the first razr but not the one that just came out.
Options

14 Posts

10-27-2020

US

10 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 8 of 13

2020-10-27, 13:24 PM

On an AT&T chat a few minutes ago, both an agent and a supervisor told me several times that they have used their tools and that an unlocked razr purchased directly from the Motorola web site will work with AT&T wifi calling.  This conflicts with your post below.  Your answer makes more sense because the AT&T version has an "AT&T wi-fi calling" app pre-installed which I assume is needed to make it work with their system.

I would prefer the unlocked version (especially with the $200 discount) but I want to be able to use wifi calling.  Has something changed since you posted this and VoWiFi on AT&T is supported or are they wrong and I will find that it won't work due to not having a whitelisted IMEI?

@ MattForumsMngr wrote:

@ blu31c33 wrote:

thanks.

Hi.

It is confusing, with so many variations of features. It seems like all advances in technology are accompanied by wide variations in functionality. And these are times of LOTS of advances.

Anyway, AT&T on the retail version:

• VoLTE Supported? YES
  • VoWiFi Supported? NO
  • 5G Supported? YES

If you get the version with the AT&T software, VoWiFi is supported.

Hope this helps.

-Matt

Options

14 Posts

10-27-2020

US

10 Signins

100 Page Views

• Message 9 of 13

Force latest software update/AT&T wi-fi calling

2020-11-06, 19:07 PM

The subject may be confusing but these are somewhat related.  Before I purchased my unlocked razr 5G, AT&T assured me that it was listed on their BYOD list as of 10/14 as being capable of wi-fi calling.  The quote from the chat I had is, "I validated that the link you sent to me earlier was last 09/11/2020 and the latest update that we have for the Bring your own device features was last 10/14/2020 wherein, Motorola Razr is now listed to be capable of wifi calling."

I actually had several different chats where they assured me it would work before I made the purchase.  Of course, when I received my phone a week ago, the settings to turn on wifi calling did not appear.  I have contacted AT&T a few times trying to get it to work.  I spoke with expert level support today and she told me that the account is set up correctly for wifi calling and that there is nothing blocking the IMEI from accessing the feature.  She asked for the build number of my software and said it isn't the latest and that upgrading to QDVS30.106-27-7-3 had a 50/50 chance of making it work.

When I check for system updates, the phone tells me the phone is up to date.  The build I have is QPS30.205-Q3-43-16-3.

So this leads to several questions.  Is she correct that I do not have the latest software version?  If not, why does the phone say that I do and how can I get it to upgrade?

Assuming the software does need to be upgraded, is there any chance that upgrading will make the wi-fi calling work.

Any thoughts on why AT&T keeps insisting wif calling should work and yet I can't get it to become enabled?  I have been very clear with them that I am using an unlocked phone purchased from Motorola directly.

Options

14 Posts

10-27-2020

US

10 Signins

100 Page Views

• Message 10 of 13

2020-11-08, 2:00 AM

What exactly is required for the wi-fi calling option to become available?  Is it purely just a flag set by the carrier or is there software needed on the phone for it to work with AT&T's wi-fi calling that isn't installed on the unlocked version?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete