10-11-2020

US

6 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 50

Razr 5G Weak WiFi / Cellular Coverage

2020-10-12, 17:25 PM

I recently got the Razr 5G and have noticed something that is really bothering me. My house is 2600 sq ft and I have 3 UniFi AP Pro access points installed around the house that are all 802.11ac. On every other mobile device (iPhone 11 Pro Max, Galaxy Fold 2, Note 20 Ultra 5G), I get full WiFi bars and at least 50% cellular signal around the house. With  the Razr 5G, unless I am standing under the AP, I only get 25 - 50% coverage at best. On top of that, the Razr just seems to auto disconnect from the WiFi for no specific reason. Nothing has changed on my WiFi configuration side. 

Anyone else experiencing similar issues? 

What I have tried so far: 

WiFi:

Ran same tests on other phones listed above

Connected to 5GHz WiFi SSID to see if the problem gets better, no change. 

Connected 2.4GHz WiFi SSID to see if the problem gets better, no change. 

Removed the "case mate" case, no change

Cellular Connectivity:

Reset Network Reset settings at least 4 times, no change

Tested on other phones listed above, all are reporting a much stronger signal 

Options

19342 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2384 Signins

59203 Page Views

• Views: 59203
  • Message 2 of 50

Re:Razr 5G Weak WiFi / Cellular Coverage

2020-10-12, 19:13 PM

@ nazgulx wrote:

I recently got the Razr 5G and have noticed something that is really bothering me. My house is 2600 sq ft and I have 3 UniFi AP Pro access points installed around the house that are all 802.11ac. On every other mobile device (iPhone 11 Pro Max, Galaxy Fold 2, Note 20 Ultra 5G), I get full WiFi bars and at least 50% cellular signal around the house. With  the Razr 5G, unless I am standing under the AP, I only get 25 - 50% coverage at best. On top of that, the Razr just seems to auto disconnect from the WiFi for no specific reason. Nothing has changed on my WiFi configuration side. 

Anyone else experiencing similar issues? 

What I have tried so far: 

WiFi:

Ran same tests on other phones listed above

Connected to 5GHz WiFi SSID to see if the problem gets better, no change. 

Connected 2.4GHz WiFi SSID to see if the problem gets better, no change. 

Removed the "case mate" case, no change

Cellular Connectivity:

Reset Network Reset settings at least 4 times, no change

Tested on other phones listed above, all are reporting a much stronger signal 

Hi.

Sorry to hear it. I'm not so concerned about the signal, but the disconnects are concerning. Is there any pattern to that? Are you moving between access points or does it happen when just sitting still? And when the WiFi signal drops, does it then connect to cellular data?

We can check some signal data from our end too: 

• Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. 
  • Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well. 
  • Let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems. 
  • Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

If we can't find anything, we will likely ask for a bug report.

Thanks,

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

4 Posts

10-11-2020

US

6 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 3 of 50

2020-10-12, 21:25 PM

The WiFi issue seems to occur when the phone is switching from one AP to another. Based on my testing, the phone connected to AP1 at 5GHz at first. As I moved further away, it switched to 2.4GHz (as expected). Once I got closer to AP2, the new AP2 takes over at 5GHz. That's when you see something similar to the screenshot below. Other phones handled this just fine so the issue seems to be unique to Razr 5G. I will update my profile next per your suggestion @matt

Options

19342 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2384 Signins

59203 Page Views

• Message 4 of 50

2020-10-14, 13:49 PM

@ nazgulx wrote:

The WiFi issue seems to occur when the phone is switching from one AP to another. Based on my testing, the phone connected to AP1 at 5GHz at first. As I moved further away, it switched to 2.4GHz (as expected). Once I got closer to AP2, the new AP2 takes over at 5GHz. That's when you see something similar to the screenshot below. Other phones handled this just fine so the issue seems to be unique to Razr 5G. I will update my profile next per your suggestion @matt

Hi.

Not seeing much of value. Can I please ask you for a bug report?

Here are the instructions. (I think they are right - things are a bit different on this phone.)

1. Go to Settings > About phone > scroll to the bottom > Tap on Build number 7 times to enable Developer mode.

2. Go to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer options.

3. In Developer options, enable USB debugging 

4. In Developer options > enable Bug Report shortcut, and Enable Wi-Fi Verbose Logging, and Enable Bluetooth HCI snoop log.

5. Once the issue is reproduced, go to Developer options > Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.

6. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.

7. When it's ready, upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and share the link to the Bug Report via an email to supportforums@motorola.com, and include a note referring to this post so we know what it refers to.

8. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time. Please include your forum user name in the email. Makes it much easier for us to tie your report back to your comments.

Thanks if you can do this.

-Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

12 Posts

10-16-2020

SE

8 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 5 of 50

2020-10-16, 21:16 PM

I have the same issue with WiFi. Sitting 4m from the Google WiFi AP at home, and it says poor signal and switches between 2.4 and 5 while losing connection to AP. 

Never had any issues with my other devices.

Razr 5G Sweden, Telia
Options

9 Posts

10-17-2020

NZ

14 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 6 of 50

2020-10-17, 5:36 AM

I have the same issue as well - really poor range of wifi. Other phones are fine.

I'm using an Ubiquti access point with both 2.5g and 5g.

Options

19342 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2384 Signins

59203 Page Views

• Message 7 of 50

2020-10-19, 15:03 PM

Hi.

This is concerning; my apologies.

If you can reproduce this, and follow the instructions above to provide a bug report, I will certainly get that in front of the right team to investigate.

-Matt

Options

12 Posts

10-16-2020

SE

8 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 8 of 50

2020-10-19, 20:07 PM
Will capture it tomorrow when I have some more time.
Razr 5G Sweden, Telia
Options

9 Posts

10-17-2020

NZ

14 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 9 of 50

2020-10-20, 8:00 AM

Hi Matt,

I've sent an email through to supportforums@motorola.com with a bug report as requested.

Wifi signal is extremely inconsistent with my device - it varies between a strong signal and completely disconnected which is crazy.

The only time this doesn't happen is if I am sitting right next to my Unifi access point - this has both 2.4 and 5ghz bands with separate access point names. 

Other phones have no issue including a brand new Galaxy S20 and an older S8.

I am interested to know what the logs demonstrate, if anything.

Options

2 Posts

10-20-2020

GB

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 10 of 50

2020-10-20, 12:06 PM

I have recently have bought a Razr 5G in the UK.

I am also experiencing very poor wifi reception and random disconnects, even within a few metres of the wifi point. The maximum Wifi range between Razr 5G and wifi point is about 7m (indoors) before it stops working completely.  All my other wifi devices have no problems at all working in the same space.

Its so bad I'm looking to return the phone.

Is this a hardware fault?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete