02-13-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 7

Anticipated features and some questions for current users

2020-02-13, 4:00 AM

I went into a Verizon store to take a look at the new Motorola Razr. I've had it preordered for a short while now, but am waiting on the back order shipment.  Like some others, reviews have made me a little wary.   I do think it looks and feels really nice and I thought the screen felt good (not like cheap plastic, as some reviewers have described it).  However there are some points I'd like to discuss with any current users that can help.

A couple things I thought that would have made sense as features, but I couldn't appear to get to work while looking it over at a Verizon store. I am curious if anyone can confirm if it works (or if these features are likely to be implemented in the future):

1. Using maps / GPS while the phone is closed. I figured this surely would have been a given. Set your destination and start Google maps going, then close your phone. The map would continue on the outer screen, or at the very least continue to function and guide you while closed. Although I would definitely prefer to be able to see the GPS map working on the outside screen so I can keep the phone closed while driving. I really don't like the idea of keeping this phone open while driving to use maps. I would have figured this feature to be a no-brainer, but couldn't see a way of making it work on the floor model. I would key in a destination and hit start, but closing the phone just showed the clock on the outside screen.

2. Using the outside screen at the same time as the main while taking pictures. This is an option I would have liked. Not on by default, but an option that when you're taking a picture on the main screen, that the outside screen would also show the same thing, albeit smaller. That way people who you were taking a picture of could get an idea of how it looks. Not a deal breaker, but this also seems like it would be an obvious feature to include.

As for some other points. I'm assuming this is from wear and tear from being on the floor (although little disconcerting from being out for only about a week). Is anyone seeing the wavy pattern from an angle on the screen? It looks like a wavy green/shadow all over the entirety of it. It's not a big deal, because you don't notice it when looking straight on, but I found it interesting.

I also noticed two creases or bumps from the folding pattern. I like how it curves the screen into a pear shape to lessen the chances of the crease being in the middle. However, I noticed on the floor model that on either side of the center bend, that there are now TWO creases or lines on either side of it (upper and lower). I could definitely feel them when running my fingers across the screen. How many current owners notice these two lines and are they there right out the gate, or do they start to form from continually open and closing? Bothersome?

It does seem ironic that in an effort to create a hinge design to eliminate the center crease, that it's possibly causing two other creases.

Also, for someone who has never used an eSIM before, how does it work? How do I transfer my current phone's contacts on a normal sim card over to the esim?

Any thoughts on these things would be most appreciated. I would also love to hear some pros and cons from those who have already been using theirs. What are you loving about it? Has it met your expectations? Any disappointments thus far? Thanks in advance.

Options

4825 Posts

03-15-2011

US

19 Signins

269 Page Views

• Views: 269
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Anticipated features and some questions for current users

2020-02-13, 4:19 AM

1. Using maps / GPS while the phone is closed. 

2. Using the outside screen at the same time as the main while taking pictures.

3. Is anyone seeing the wavy pattern from an angle on the screen? It looks like a wavy green/shadow all over the entirety of it. It's not a big deal, because you don't notice it when looking straight on, but I found it interesting. I also noticed two creases or bumps from the folding pattern. I could definitely feel them when running my fingers across the screen. How many current owners notice these two lines and are they there right out the gate, or do they start to form from continually open and closing? Bothersome?

4. Also, for someone who has never used an eSIM before, how does it work? How do I transfer my current phone's contacts on a normal sim card over to the esim?

5. I would also love to hear some pros and cons from those who have already been using theirs. What are you loving about it? Has it met your expectations? Any disappointments thus far? Thanks in advance

Great questions. Here are some of my answers (I added numbers to all the points so they're easy to reference)

1. GPS doesn't work as you're describing (although it's a great idea - but I'd imagine that could be done in the future with an updated app, don't know).

2. This sort of works. When you take a picture, the external screen shows an emoji, deisgned to allow people you're photographing focus their eyes without focusing on what they look like. In addition, there is a preview - so if you take a picture of someone, the front screen will show the picture you just took so people you're taking a picture of can see what it looks like. Both the emoji and the preview can be separately enabled/disabled

3. Lines/bumps are part of the design of the screen and the phone housing. That is explained in the videos and introductions. You can see and feel them but you also cannot see them when the screen is on and when looking at the phone dead-on. It is a tradeoff I suppose of the screen manufacturing process and the way the hinge is designed. I've had mine since launch and it has never bothered me.

4. eSIM just means you don't need to swap the little physical card. The phone itself has one "built in" and can be activated or switched to different lines using just the IMEI and ICCID codes (phone on the phone box and in the phone's software). I believe it was also indicated that the RAZR supports multiple eSIMs, and can be unlocked from Verizon following Verizon's device unlock policy.

5. Obviously this will be highly subjective because it feels more like a phone and less like a tablet or handheld computer. I saw Samsung's new device and specs, and I feel like they missed the point of a clamshell phone entirely. Motorola designed the RAZR to be a highly compact phone/comms device that has a bigger screen if/when needed. Samsung just designed a large phone that could fold. I've read the many disparaging reviews and it shows me that they just don't get it. I have felt very pleased with the device so far, and the battery life is outstanding. Not to mention the thin film OLED plastic screen removes all issues about shattering the screen. Lastly, the external screen has become my primary interaction. I find I only need to open the phone when making calls without BT or using some apps (it's nice to be able to actually hang up on people again). I'm sure this helps the battery life, but also reduces the amout of screen time you need to check things, and in some cases reply or delete things also.

Time will tell, and while I didn't love the plastic screen or the bumps, I got over the bumps as they really don't impact user experience, and the plastic screen actually has a number of advantages over glass for foldables. The Samsung Z Flip has two massive creases on the display, best i can tell.

That's all my $.02 - hope it helps!

Options

0 Posts

02-13-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2020-02-13, 4:31 AM

Using the phone while primarily closed is definitely one of the main reasons I want this, and also why I don't like the Flip's design as much. The outside larger screen is a very big deciding factor.  I also like the evenly closed form a great deal, as opposed to the sort of closed appearance that the Fold and Flip do. This is unfortunate in that not all apps will have taken advantage of the outer screen just yet. I was really expecting that maps would have already had this functionality and it really bums me out that I'm going to have to leave the phone flipped open while using Google maps. Both my wife and I work where we are constantly having to go to new cities and states throughout the year, so using our GPS is quite frequent. I really hope that Google updates their app to utilize the outside screen (or another maps service) sooner than later.

I am aware of the faces you can turn on while taking the picture. I found the function that allows you to view the picture outside after taking, although it is way too short. I'm not sure if there's a way to pause it awhile longer, but from my short use of it, it blips on the outside screen for just a moment and disappears, making it almost useless. But my idea for using the outside screen came from the fact that you can turn on the silly faces while taking a photo. An option to instead use the outside screen to actually give people a preview of what they will look like. This might help people stand in the proper place or pose better, etc. It's a small screen, but I would find that really handy.

The two creases, which I now believe were above the metal bits to help flatten the screen, is where I noticed them. I didn't really see this as much in reviews, only in the floor model I handled. I could see these two evenly spaced lines (off from the middle, above and below) the entire time I used it, in apps and the camera. I wish I took a photo so I could better show what I'm talking about. It's possible these lines become more apparent from continued use, or another customer may have handled the phone poorly (pressing backwards on the phone perhaps?). It's hard to say.

Options

19242 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2364 Signins

58367 Page Views

• Views: 58367
  • Message 4 of 7

2020-02-13, 14:48 PM

wrote:

Using the phone while primarily closed is definitely one of the main reasons I want this, and also why I don't like the Flip's design as much. The outside larger screen is a very big deciding factor.  I also like the evenly closed form a great deal, as opposed to the sort of closed appearance that the Fold and Flip do. This is unfortunate in that not all apps will have taken advantage of the outer screen just yet. I was really expecting that maps would have already had this functionality and it really bums me out that I'm going to have to leave the phone flipped open while using Google maps. Both my wife and I work where we are constantly having to go to new cities and states throughout the year, so using our GPS is quite frequent. I really hope that Google updates their app to utilize the outside screen (or another maps service) sooner than later.

I am aware of the faces you can turn on while taking the picture. I found the function that allows you to view the picture outside after taking, although it is way too short. I'm not sure if there's a way to pause it awhile longer, but from my short use of it, it blips on the outside screen for just a moment and disappears, making it almost useless. But my idea for using the outside screen came from the fact that you can turn on the silly faces while taking a photo. An option to instead use the outside screen to actually give people a preview of what they will look like. This might help people stand in the proper place or pose better, etc. It's a small screen, but I would find that really handy.

The two creases, which I now believe were above the metal bits to help flatten the screen, is where I noticed them. I didn't really see this as much in reviews, only in the floor model I handled. I could see these two evenly spaced lines (off from the middle, above and below) the entire time I used it, in apps and the camera. I wish I took a photo so I could better show what I'm talking about. It's possible these lines become more apparent from continued use, or another customer may have handled the phone poorly (pressing backwards on the phone perhaps?). It's hard to say.

Hi.

Good feedback, thanks. I will share your idea about the GPS function with the team.

If you could let me know the location of the display model you mentioned, that could be helpful. I would like to have it checked out as it does sound as if it could have been abused. We've had a few reports of that and we want to make sure those are addressed.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

4825 Posts

03-15-2011

US

19 Signins

269 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2020-02-13, 17:38 PM

wrote:

I like the idea of making this an additional option. While there is no way to know if the Moto camera will be updated to include a live preview or increase the lenght of time of the preview, I can say that the Moto team found and resolved a minor issue with the Moto Camera app in less than 24 hours on the RAZR, so never say never.

Options

0 Posts

02-13-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2020-02-15, 22:19 PM

I found some reviews that had the creases that I was talking about.  I've also found videos where I could now see them.

It really comes down the lighting it seems.  I could see the lines so clearly because the store is very well lit.  Many lights all over, lighting up all the many displays.  In the review videos and pictures I've found, they are usually in a well lit office with light coming through the windows, or they're testing the phone outdoors.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/2j3DUdy

Video: https://youtu.be/FfAwFV6uPZQ?t=163

That's an excellent video, by the way.  It really goes to show why I like the idea of these phones.  Not only are the flexible screens less likely to break, but you have them protected most of the time while they're folded up either way.  The main display on the Razr held up perfectly, as did the use of the quick view display.

I might hold off picking up the Razr just yet.  I'll probably wait for the 5G version coming out.  I do really want it for the practical use of it.  I love the idea of being able to use the phone for so much of my primary usage while it is closed, while still having the option to open it up if I need to use a browser or watch a movie.  Motorola really needs to continue playing up the quick display the most in their marketing.    I know it seems like a silly dealbreaker, but the maps is definitely a big deciding factor in me holding off for the moment.  If I get word that Google maps ends up utilizing the outside screen, I might even wind up picking it up before the 5G version.

Options

4825 Posts

03-15-2011

US

19 Signins

269 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2020-02-18, 14:01 PM

wrote:

I found some reviews that had the creases that I was talking about.  I've also found videos where I could now see them.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/2j3DUdy

Video: https://youtu.be/FfAwFV6uPZQ?t=163

Yes, those are normal and not hard to see when the screen is off. The Z fold has the same types of creases. On the RAZR they're not visible at all when the screen is on. The hinge mechanism designed to keep the screen flat while open presses against the screen which creates the fluctuations in the screen. I can't say it's every really bothered me. It just gives reviewers and bloggers something to pick on, in an otherwise near-perfect device.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete