03-15-2011

US

19 Signins

269 Page Views

• Views: 269
  • Message 1 of 3

The Camera Thread

2020-02-18, 14:46 PM

The camera is quite good in a variety of light environments, but it does seem that subject focus can be a challenge when not manually selected. I noticed that when taking pictures, unless you pick the focus area, the phone averages or centers the focus and it's quite unforgiving.

That said, when tapping to select, the focus works quite well.

Notice that even with multiple colors, textures, and depths, the camera performs very well even in lower light when I select the focus.

If I do not select the focus, while the image is still quite good, it seems to favor closer objects and the right side of the sensor, which means the fine details that are further away are not crystal clear. This may be because it is optimized for portrats/selfies, still needs more playing with. There are a huge number of options.

Anyone else have any observations?

Options

4825 Posts

03-15-2011

US

19 Signins

269 Page Views

• Message 2 of 3

Re: The Camera Thread

2020-02-19, 11:28 AM

On focus:

I know people were complaining (myself included) of the auto-focus, but as a semi-pro photographer, I can say the RAZR works much like a DSLR. It's not as "point and shoot" as an iPhone or others, it requires a little finesse. It's not a bad thing, it's just not as easy, but once you figure it out, it works quite well.

I was in a market yesterday and decided to test out bokeh and selective focus on these bowls. The RAZR was about 6 inches from the first bowl. The first pic, the focus was on the near bowl, and the second, the focus was on the far bowl:

The bokeh is mild in both, but the RAZR shifts focus quite well. You can see this from the clarity of the words on the boxes and the clean lines of the bowl edges and the light reflections.

Options

4825 Posts

03-15-2011

US

19 Signins

269 Page Views

• Message 3 of 3

Re: The Camera Thread

2020-02-19, 11:35 AM

Low-light shooting:

I took an outdoor and indoor low-light shot. On the outdoor one, it was point and shoot, and reproduced colors correctly and the contrast was good. The reflections, writing, details, were all preserved.

For the indoor shot, I focused on the brightest light source to avoid flares. Note you can even see the detail/label on the lights (the black spots) It wasn't a "perfect low light shot" because I don't want it to be. That would look artificial. What it did do was accurately reproduce the atmosphere of the room. Nothing was blown out, pixelated, or blurred. The photo is exactly what the room looked like. I quite appreciated that.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete