Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

12-30-2020

India

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 7

Have I lost my Windows 10 and my data?

2020-12-30, 20:34 PM

I bought a Lenovo laptop in the last September. In my college we work on Linux so I had to put Kali Linux into my laptop and I wanted a dual boot system, one Windows 10 and the other as Kali.

I prepared an USB booting, and I was doing the Graphical Installation on a partition disk. Unfortunately, during the “Installing base file” process the battery died out and the laptop got off. When I put it on charge, and switched it ON it started showing the message “No bootable device — Please restart system”. I searched and searched and finally found that Novo button can help me. After changing the BIOS settings and pressing the F10 key for restart, I got the message (just a little different from the old one) “No bootable device — enter a device and press any key”

I plugged in the Pendrive once again and installed the Kali Linux, but during the installation process I couldn’t see the partitioned disks and I had to install the it on the option “1.0 TB ATA ST1000....” and then there were no partition disks available and I had to go with the only option of “Finish partitioning and write changes to the disk”. 

Once the installation got completed , I restarted the system in hope that I will be displayed with options to boot from Kali or Windows, but all it gave me was a Kali interface message with three options:

1. Kali GNU/Linux

2. Advanced Options

3. System Setup

I want to know what actually happened to my computer when it got suddenly dead due to lack of power? And can I get my Windows 10 and data back? 

Thank you.

Options

8932 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77710 Signins

2223950 Page Views

• Views: 2223950
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:Have I lost my Windows 10 and my data?

2020-12-30, 20:40 PM

Please let us know what laptop you have so we can move this post to the appropriate forum.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

3 Posts

12-30-2020

India

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2020-12-31, 4:15 AM

I have attached an image which shows the model number and the other details of my laptop.

Thanks.

Moderator note: image containing serial number removed to prevent abuse.

Options

8932 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77710 Signins

2223950 Page Views

• Views: 2223950
  • Message 4 of 7

2020-12-31, 4:27 AM

It's an IdeaPad 3, base MT-M 81WB.  I've moved your thread.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

4 Posts

12-31-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1 Signins

25 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 25
  • Message 5 of 7

2020-12-31, 11:51 AM

It sounds like you may have accidentally overwritten the Windows 10 partition. Do you have any spare recovery media? Perhaps you could create a Windows installer USB through Linux if you need to reinstall.

Options

3 Posts

12-30-2020

India

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2020-12-31, 15:14 PM

I have made a recovery USB stick by downloading Windows Tools by Will my data gonna be recovered?

Options

4 Posts

12-31-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1 Signins

25 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 25
  • Message 7 of 7

2020-12-31, 15:17 PM
Unfortunately, if you've wiped your Windows partition, you will have wiped your data. You may be able to rescue something using Recuva, however this is quite unlikely (and this is something you should try under a live Linux installation to try and preserve your drive as much as you can). Sorry that this isn't the answer you wanted to hear.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms