Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

04-18-2021

India

13 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 1 of 7

Does my Ideapad support an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD?

2021-06-07, 6:58 AM

Hi,

My laptop is Lenovo Ideapad 320S-14IKB (Type 80X4), with MTM 80X400CLIN.

Q1.  Can I replace my existing SATA HDD with an M.2 NVMe 2280 SSD on PCIe?

Like this one

Crucial P2 250GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - CT250P2SSD8

https://www.crucial.in/ssd/p2/ct250p2ssd8

or

Crucial P5 250GB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD  - CT250P5SSD8

https://www.crucial.in/ssd/p5/ct250p5ssd8

Q2. If yes, can I keep both my existing SATA HDD and the new M.2 PCIe SSD in the laptop, with the former being used as a storage disk, and latter being used to install Windows OS and applications and boot from it?

Thanks in advance.

Amit

Answer
Options

2618 Posts

04-17-2014

United States of America

3538 Signins

43895 Page Views

• Views: 43895

Re:Does my Ideapad support an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD?

2021-06-08, 4:03 AM

Hi there,

You can create a Lenovo USB recovery drive from here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103653-lenovo-digital-download-recovery-service-ddrs-download-the-files-needed-to-create-a-lenovo-usb-recovery-key

Once you install the new SSD, boot into that USB drive and it will reinstall Windows with the fresh load of Lenovo's initial drivers from the factory.

If you prefer to install a completely fresh slate of Windows (ie directly from Microsoft without any Lenovo software), you can do so here from Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

Doing it this route will also require you to install relevant drivers, which you can find here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/300-series/320s-14ikb/downloads/driver-list

And don't worry about licensing of the reinstall... for Windows 10, the license is tied to the motherboard, not the system drive so you won't need to look for any product key, the system should automatically detect it's an OEM product and register.  

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate. I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Please do not PM me for individual requests... please post to the forums instead :)

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

Communities:    Moto English     English     Deutsche     Español     Portugues     Русскоязычное     Česká     Slovenská     Українська   

Replies(6)
Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

330 Signins

14361 Page Views

• Views: 14361
  • Message 2 of 7

2021-06-07, 10:00 AM

Hi amitkh,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

According to the psref. documentation for the Ideapad 320S - 14IKB (80X4), it supports the following:

Storage:

Some: SSD / SATA 6.0Gb/s, 2.5" wide, 7mm high
Some: HDD / SATA 6.0Gb/s, 2.5" wide, 7mm high
Some: M.2 SSD / PCIe 3.0 x 4, 32Gb/s

However, it's unclear if this means it can come with only 1 out of the three, or have room for a combination. 

Best way to check this is to open up the device and look for a M2 slot on the motherboard, if so, then yes to both your questions:

Hope this helps

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

8 Posts

04-18-2021

India

13 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2021-06-07, 10:23 AM

Hi Voithos,

Thanks for your reply. I will open it up and check.

Since my laptop came preinstalled with Windows 10 OEM. How can I fresh install the same licensed Windows 10 on my new SSD?

- Amit

Answer
Options

2618 Posts

04-17-2014

United States of America

3538 Signins

43895 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2021-06-08, 4:03 AM

Hi there,

You can create a Lenovo USB recovery drive from here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103653-lenovo-digital-download-recovery-service-ddrs-download-the-files-needed-to-create-a-lenovo-usb-recovery-key

Once you install the new SSD, boot into that USB drive and it will reinstall Windows with the fresh load of Lenovo's initial drivers from the factory.

If you prefer to install a completely fresh slate of Windows (ie directly from Microsoft without any Lenovo software), you can do so here from Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

Doing it this route will also require you to install relevant drivers, which you can find here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/300-series/320s-14ikb/downloads/driver-list

And don't worry about licensing of the reinstall... for Windows 10, the license is tied to the motherboard, not the system drive so you won't need to look for any product key, the system should automatically detect it's an OEM product and register.  

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Eric Xu

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Please do not PM me for individual requests... please post to the forums instead :)

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

Communities:    Moto English     English     Deutsche     Español     Portugues     Русскоязычное     Česká     Slovenská     Українська   

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

8 Posts

04-18-2021

India

13 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2021-06-08, 4:59 AM

Thanks you Eric!

Options

8 Posts

04-18-2021

India

13 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2021-06-16, 7:49 AM

An update.

I was able to successfully install Samsung 980 NVMe M.2 SSD 250GB on the PCIe of my Ideapad.

https://www.samsung.com/in/memory-storage/nvme-ssd/980-250gb-nvme-m2-ssd-mz-v8v250bw/

I have now both the existing SATA HDD and the newer M.2 SSD on my board. I did a fresh install of Windows from Microsoft (took about 8-10 mins) and downloaded the drivers from the link shared by Eric.

The performance of my laptop has increased multi-fold. Here are some statistics:

SATA Disk

SATA disk

Samsung 980 M.2 2280 NVMe SSD

SSD

Performance of Samsung 980 M.2 2280 NVMe SSD on NVMe testdata (multithreaded)

Thanks Voithos and Eric.

Options

2618 Posts

04-17-2014

United States of America

3538 Signins

43895 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2021-06-17, 4:11 AM

Awesome, great to hear!

Regards,
Eric Xu

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms