Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

02-28-2020

Switzerland

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 8

Buttons on Pen not working correctly [X1 Yoga Gen.4]

2020-10-15, 13:22 PM

Hi

I have a problem. Most of the time the Pen is working perfectly, but when I put the laptop in to "energy saver mode" and and wake it back up again, often the Buttons on the Front of the Pen don't Work correctly anymore. I have set the button in the front to "eraser" and the button behind the other one to "pen button" and usually the eraser button gets converted in to a pen button.

If I want them to work correctly again, most of the time I can open the "Lenovo Pen Settings" App, change the assignment of the Buttons to something else and back and they start working again. If this does not work a restart of the system does the trick. (I usually use the Pen in Microsoft OneNote)

In addition to that, the button on the back of the pen always behaves strangely. I had it set to the "screen snipping" tool which worked only sometimes right after boot up. If I set this one to a system function like mute, it seems to work a little more reliably.

I have a Lenovo X1 Yoga Gen. 4 and this happens with the integrated Pen, with the Original Lenovo Active Pen and with a Bamboo Pen I have been using since. In addition to that a few of my colleagues at school have the same problem (two with an X1 Yoga and one with an L-Series Yoga I believe). which leads me to believe it is a driver issue.

I have had contact to the phone support from Lenovo and told them all of this, but they weren't really able to fix this issue. 

Maybe here someone can help me.

Options

6 Posts

02-28-2020

Switzerland

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 2 of 8

Re:Buttons on Pen not working correctly [X1 Yoga Gen.4]

2020-11-25, 17:00 PM

Update:

the Support-Team from Lenovo is working on it again.

Options

5 Posts

12-02-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 3 of 8

2020-12-03, 2:15 AM

I called Lenovo today. I experience the issue daily in OneNote and the Active Pen 2. The customer service agent asked me to restart my computer> Asked me if it was fixed, then told my my warranty expired 2 days and to call Best Buy! I told him the issue is a driver and many people are talking about online. He told me again to call Best Buy since my warranty expired. I hung up on him.  

For the record, my surface has never experienced this issue! I even have a Wacom pen I use with both computers.  Issue only exists with the X1 Yoga Gen 4.

Options

6 Posts

02-28-2020

Switzerland

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2020-12-03, 5:47 AM

Hi

This sounds like the same problem I've been having and the same replies I've been getting. But I think I found someone on the support-team from Lenovo who understood, that it is a Software problem. Currently they have my laptop and are working on it and I hope they find something.

I'll keep you up to date on the situation.

Options

5 Posts

12-02-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2020-12-03, 12:03 PM

I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks

Options

5 Posts

12-02-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2020-12-04, 22:37 PM

By uninstalling the "Lenovo Pen App" and then go to Device Manager/Human Interface Devices and uninstall the "Wacom Pen" and driver (deleting the driver when uninstalling by the checkmark in the dialog box), has fixed my problem pen problem. It has slept and awaken without interruption. 

Then Lenovo System Update will prompt you to install (DO NOT Install the Update) the next time you run it:

Here are the notes to the update:

NOTES User will require Lenovo Pen Settings App to enable Wintab features included in this driver package. HOW TO INSTALL LENOVO PEN SETTINGS APP After installing this driver package, please tap your Lenovo Active Pen or Lenovo Pen Pro 2 on the screen. A pop-up will appear that will prompt the User to install Lenovo Pen Settings App (this will require an internet connection to download the package from Microsoft Store). Note that the message will not pop up again, if you want to configure your pen later, please get the app from Microsoft Store by searching “Lenovo Pen Settings. 

DO NOT Install the Update the

I believe this is where the issue resides, from this update! 
Options

6 Posts

02-28-2020

Switzerland

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2020-12-04, 23:02 PM

Hi 

Thank you. I'll try to let Lenovo know about this and maybe it will also work on my computer they have.

Mabybe they can fix the update or remove it. We will see.

Regards Samuel

Options

6 Posts

02-28-2020

Switzerland

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2021-02-26, 7:51 AM

Hi

I've finally got my Laptop back!

According to the support, they only thing they did is reinstall the windows from the the ground up (not from any backup) and took 2.5 months for that. But that's the recommended solution since the buttons on my Pen are working again, except for the button at the back but I'm tired of trying to explain this to the support.

But, I'm almost certain that there was also at least some updates that fixed the Problem with the Pen. So there might be an update that's already out or in the Pipeline that should fix the Problem.

Regards Samuel

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms