Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

19 Posts

06-16-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 1 of 3

Battery goes down to 0 suddenly, especially at start-up (no matter the level of charge before)

2021-07-22, 19:26 PM

For months I've been having a problem that would happen from time to time (so, not always, but always too often, sometimes it would take weeks to happen again, sometimes it would happen every single day):
First thing, from time to time the battery would randomly go down to 0 while in use, like when at around 20 or 30%... even though most of the time it would allow me to up as down as 7%, so, not sure why

Worse, as this has happened many more times, when starting my laptop, after a few seconds of the laptop loading, the battery goes all the way to 0, no matter the percentage it had. It is NOT that the battery would empty itself while not in use, as not only I have time to see the battery icon and do see it with battery power before it goes down to 0, but also if I plug it in at start up, then it never goes down to 0

I've tried to search, couldn't find where it could be from
I've sent my laptop for repair, they didn't fix anything software-wise, just said I would need a new battery, and that I would need to pay for it because I bought my laptop is more than 1 year old (I do know that even though I took a 3-year warranty the battery is said to be covered only for 1 year, but anyway I have proofs that problem started before the 1-year anniversary, as I had taken a video one of the first times it happened, well within a year - after having tried to solve this internally with them, now looking for the help of a mediator, and if it doesn't work, will have to see for more external help to solve this)

Anyway, anyone has heard of such problem?

Any possible solution?
(I've Googled around, didn't find any Lenovo case, and even for other laptops found very few cases (actually just found 1), so it seems to be a very VERY rare issue - But such an inconvenient one, I can't take my laptop anywhere and rely on it if I don't first plug it in, as even if I had charged it to 100% I have the risk of it to go down to 0) which is very VERY inconvenient when you're a digital nomad like me)
Thanks in advance for my future hero, hopefully
David

Options

3184 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

255 Signins

16115 Page Views

• Views: 16115
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Battery goes down to 0 suddenly, especially at start-up (no matter the level of charge before)

2021-07-23, 15:58 PM

Hello David Mundo,

Greetings

I suggest that you share the machine type model / MTM (ex. 81C70000RK) from the sticker as it would help us detail more about your machine variant.
It would also help running diagnostics.
Update us how it goes.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

19 Posts

06-16-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Battery goes down to 0 suddenly, especially at start-up (no matter the level of charge before)

2021-07-23, 16:23 PM

Hi Lorenzo
Thanks a lot for trying to help
I just checked and the model is a 20QV-000FUS
(Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen2)
What kind of diagnostics would help?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms