Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

04-01-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad P52 (Type 20M9, 20MA) Laptop (ThinkPad) - Type 20M9, USB 3.1 Gen 1 and SB Type-C max speed?

2021-04-03, 22:44 PM

I'm looking to purchase a few external NVMe.M2/SSD for Thinkpad P52 (Type 20M9, 20MA) Laptop (ThinkPad) - Type 20M9, Xeon 2176 CPU model, in relation to Three USB 3.1 Gen 1 (one Always On), two USB Type-C / Thunderbolt 3 (with the function of Power Delivery and DP), and I want to know the maximum theoretical speed for below:

1- Three USB 3.1 Gen 1 (one Always On), exist on the laptop.

- Is all three USB 3.1 Gen-1 have the same maximum speed or the Always-on have a higher speed, please?

- What's the maximum theoretical speed that this device can reach as I want to purchase the same theoretical counterpart in speed for external storage through a few external NVMe.M2/SSD? May someone professionally advise me on this? (Considering I have the best cable and best enclosure that is available in the market for super-fast speed)

2- Two USB Type-C / Thunderbolt 3 (with the function of Power Delivery and DP), is on my laptop.

- Is each of these USB-C have the same speed?

- Joining them through a Workstation Thundebold of the Lenovo(latest version), will give higher speed for me to a single connection to the Thunderbolt? e.g. If I connect one USB-C to the Laptop itself(each of the USB-C units), will my speed be the same or lower than joining two USB-C as a single Workstation Thunderbolt and connecting one USB-C(from external NVMe.M2/SSD) to the Workstation Thunderbolt? Assuming my NVMe.M2/SSD-Enclosure is higher speed to match this speed and I have a Thunderbolt USB-C sync cable between External-NVMe.M2/SSD-Enclosure to match the speed with connection to the Workstation Thunderbold USB-C or USB-C on the Laptop itself?

I expect my questions are clear enough, otherwise please do ask and I happily reply with details?

Note: I have 2TB NVMe.M2/SSD on each of the modules on the laptop and one 2TB SSD on another one. I want the external NVMe.M2 enclosure to store my data(Application data external storage), and for events, the system is down and I need an external unit to boot up the system, thus I may install Red-Hat Linux-x64/Windows-Server-x64/Windows-10-x64 on the external storage to boot up the system with minimal installed applications to access to the application if required. e.g. in the events of Virus/Hack attacks, if unfortunately happened, I shall be able to boot up from these external NVMe.M2/SSD and run a minimal version of OS and applications until main system OS and applications fixes.

Note: I have an International upgrade warranty and International Accident and breakdown warranty for three years and I purchased this from the US as a custom build unit by my order through Lenovo company itself.

I asked this question through chat from Lenovo and the customer service representative told me they don't know the answer as they told me only the sales team knows these and not the technical support team and the sales team can only be accessed through a call and not email nor chat?!

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Options

1686 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

113 Signins

8485 Page Views

• Views: 8485
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Thinkpad P52 (Type 20M9, 20MA) Laptop (ThinkPad) - Type 20M9, USB 3.1 Gen 1 and SB Type-C max speed?

2021-04-05, 21:21 PM

Hello BlondePeach1,

Greetings

USB speeds are as follows:
USB 3.0 (5 Gbps)
USB 3.1 (10 Gbps)

Checking on the hardware manual (page 50) shows the USB version of the ports showing USB 3.1 which are expected for 10Gbps transfer rate. This USB type of interface is not as efficient as the intented PCIe transfer rate on the external devices but still fast enough for your need as of what the current technology offers.

Thunderbolt 3 lets you transfer data at up to 40Gbps. That's twice as fast as the 20Gbps maximum throughput speed of the fastest USB-C ports.,

Hope this helps

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

4 Posts

04-01-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 3 of 4

Re:Thinkpad P52 (Type 20M9, 20MA) Laptop (ThinkPad) - Type 20M9, USB 3.1 Gen 1 and SB Type-C max speed?

2021-04-06, 17:08 PM

@ Lorenzo_Lenovo wrote:

Hello BlondePeach1,

Greetings

USB speeds are as follows:
USB 3.0 (5 Gbps)
USB 3.1 (10 Gbps)

Checking on the hardware manual (page 50) shows the USB version of the ports showing USB 3.1 which are expected for 10Gbps transfer rate. This USB type of interface is not as efficient as the intented PCIe transfer rate on the external devices but still fast enough for your need as of what the current technology offers.

Thunderbolt 3 lets you transfer data at up to 40Gbps. That' twice as fast as the 20Gbps maximum throughput speed of the fastest USB-C ports.,

Hope this helps

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Hiya @Lorenzo_Lenovo 

Thanks. For USB 3.1, there is a 10Gbps external enclosure that can be connected by high-speed cables(I shall find out what is the highest gold connected cables exist for data transfer that at least match this rate.

For USB-C usage individually, I have NVMe.M2 enclosure with 10Gbps speed and connection to that with thunderbolt USB-C cable will be guaranteed the 10Gbps speed or can I use non-Thunderbold USB-C cables and use normal gold plated high-speed data cables for USB-C can keep up with the 10Gbps speed?

In the end, Thunderbold is the best option with a 40Gbps transfer speed for my Lenovo P52(Xeon)? https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/docking/universal-cable-docks-thunderbolt/TBT-WS-Dock-Gen-2/p/40ANY230US or Lenovo may have had higher speed workstation thunderbolt than this one as well? I'm looking to purchase the best of the best option available, please?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Options

449 Posts

12-24-2011

United Arab Emirates

696 Signins

5084 Page Views

• Views: 5084
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-04-10, 8:16 AM

Hi there!

For external use, an NVMe cradle with dual USB/USB-C (10Gbps) is 20USD on Amazon and a thunderbolt one (40Gbps) is 200USD. (EDIT: I found cheap as 100USD on Aliexpress with bad reviews)

In the end a typical 2TB NVMe device can deliver 10-30GBps throughput. So for the fastest data imaging a thundebolt enclosure could make sense if both the internal and external NVMe can support more than 1000MB/s.

For booting from thunderbolt you need to disable thunderbolt security in BIOS. I have not tried on P52 and I don't have thunderbolt enclosure.

For booting over USB-C the P52 is allegedly he earliest that can do that. On P51 and older, you need to boot over USB 3.0.

However, if you keep only an image copy on the external device, why don't you simply swap it with the internal disk if needed? Then you can examine the corrupted disk offline. So the capability of booting the external device might not be all important. If you want to proceed anyway, make sure to test it thoroughly, sometimes you think that you select the external disk for booting and all goes well since the internal disk is still there. However the test should always be with the internal disk removed to make sure the external disk is used.

I might order one of those thunderbolt cradles to play with soon, but for now USB-C feels plenty fast.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms